August 2020 Biking Cycling Bicycling Bike/ Bicycle/Unicycle/Tricycle Challenge!

Options

Replies

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I haven’t ridden since the 11th, I’m going through. Crazy week, and first half of this week isn’t looking great, but I’m determined to at least her a Peleton session in tomorrow if I get home too late to ride outdoors.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    8/17:
    Morning ride - 16.82 miles
    Monthly total - 156.05
    Left to goal - 158.95

Interesting ride this morning, had a storm blow thru last night that took down several trees (including 2 that I had to avoid while riding) and some fences. Lots of debris on the riding path as well.
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    24.2 mile afternoon ride
    520’ elevation gain
    13.8 mph
    236.5 miles of 300 mile goal🚴🏻‍♂️🤘🏼
    I got absolutely drenched in a rain storm on this one. Just when I thought it couldn’t get worse, it started raining harder😂
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As I'm still being pursued by my personal thundercloud decided to do an indoor ride at the gym.

Being limited to a 50min gym slot by the COVID precautions and with all the bike / phone / Garmin / earphone / pedal / saddle setting up and then cleaning afterwards there's only really time for 40mins training.
    30mins fast for me at 209watt average getting used to high effort steady state and finding out what my current highest sustainable HR is (seems to be very precisely 155 or 156bpm), then 10 min cooldown.

Apart from a planned FTP test I'm thinking when I'm forced indoors then interval training will give me a better fitness return in that very limited time.
  • croshaven
    croshaven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing structured workouts with a professional cycling coach for a few months now and am starting to show some real gains in strength. I do 2 to 3 high intensity intervals sessions (HIIT)/week, take 2 rest days/week and do relatively easy rides the other days. The better your power to weight ratio is on a bike, the easier it is. it's a lot easier to improve your watts/kg ratio by losing weight than by increasing power. My goal is to shed 25 pounds. I'm 6'2 and am 69 years of age. I started using Fitness Pal because it allows me to enter my workout in kilojoules which is what my software,Training Peaks, calculates for each workout. Other programs grossly over estimate how much energy I'm burning in a workout. I did a hilly 55 mile ride recently but it only burned, 1842 kilojoules, which equals 440 calories. I did a 30 mile ride with 16 2 minute Zone 5 and 4 intervals today, will do another HIIT session on Wednesday, 30 minutes of Sweet Spot on Thursday, and 72 miles on Saturday.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone. I want to join in. I have a goal of riding a century within next month, before my birthday mid -September. I have been cycling for years, but mainly because of time constraints didn't attempt it yet. So finally, I'm determined to get it done. My usual rides are 30ish - 40ish mi few times a week. So in order to get ready, I'm upping my mileage. And i also commute to work when possible, so short rides are commute on hybrid.
    7.29.20- 31.25 mi - 1h50min
    7.31- 60.05mi -3h33m
    8.04- 31.27mi -1h44m
    8.05 -31.27mi -1h46m
    8.07 -61.08mi -3.36
    8.08- 31.22mi- 1.46
    8.09 -31.30mi- 1.47
    8.10 -7.64mi- 29.49
    8.10- 5.31mi- 21.03
    8.11- 31.28mi -1.46
    8.14 -64.81mi- 3.46
    8.15 - 41.38mi -2.22
    8.16 -50.21mi -3.00
    8.17 -9.97mi -37.39
    8.17 -4.89mi -17.31
    Also i think it's worth mentioning, i am a solo rider and plan on riding my first, but hopefully not last, century solo as well. Trying to work out a feeding schedule too. I can easily ride 30-40 miles fasted, just on a cup of coffee. No particular reason, just not being really hungry. For a 60 mile ride i bring a little something, gel or some nuts and raisins. Last weekend i intended to do a shorter 30 mi ride, but got carried away and ended up doing 50. Unfortunately, that was a fasted ride and no snacks on me, so i definitely felt it. I have to plan for that just in case, i guess.
  • sijomial
    Options
    croshaven wrote: »
    I've been doing structured workouts with a professional cycling coach for a few months now and am starting to show some real gains in strength. I do 2 to 3 high intensity intervals sessions (HIIT)/week, take 2 rest days/week and do relatively easy rides the other days. The better your power to weight ratio is on a bike, the easier it is. it's a lot easier to improve your watts/kg ratio by losing weight than by increasing power. My goal is to shed 25 pounds. I'm 6'2 and am 69 years of age. I started using Fitness Pal because it allows me to enter my workout in kilojoules which is what my software,Training Peaks, calculates for each workout. Other programs grossly over estimate how much energy I'm burning in a workout. I did a hilly 55 mile ride recently but it only burned, 1842 kilojoules, which equals 440 calories. I did a 30 mile ride with 16 2 minute Zone 5 and 4 intervals today, will do another HIIT session on Wednesday, 30 minutes of Sweet Spot on Thursday, and 72 miles on Saturday.

@croshaven

Your conversion of joules to calories isn't factoring in the efficiency ratio of cycling, your body like all machines isn't anywhere near 100% efficient.
    Yes a joule is 0.24 of a calorie but you are burning roughly 4 times the energy to put that measured power into your riding.

Your 1842kj measured output will be pretty close to 1842 net calories expended due to the usual assumption of 20 - 25% efficiency ratio of producing that power. For convenience people assume 24% efficiency to simplyfy the maths down to watts per hour X 3.6 = net cal.

This explains it in more detail - https://mccraw.co.uk/2012/10/14/powertap-meter-convert-watts-calories-burned/
  • sijomial
    Options
    @icemom011

Good luck!

Regarding feeding - just bear in mind that not needing fuel for the first 40 and jst a little for 60 doesn't mean you can do the same for the second half of the ride as that initial fuel is coming from your body's reserves. Slowing the rate at which you run down your reserves works better than getting to empty and trying to recover. Plus bonking is actually dangerous, especially when solo as it messes with your head and not just your muscles.

Little and often is usually kinder to your digestion when it is compromised by exercising at the same time and you should start feeding long before you absolutely need to. Do practice with your fuel of choice as people react very differently. I can't tolerate fatty foods while riding and feel queasy if I try to fuel a long ride just with liquids and gels, others slather butter over carby snacks or do extreme distances with no solid food - it's very personal.
  • ccrdragon
    Options
    8/18
    Morning ride - 17.04 miles
    Monthly total - 173.09 miles
    Left to goal - 141.91 miles

Good ride this morning, cool temps and no wind.
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    Options
    19.3 mile afternoon ride
    432’ elevation gain
    14.6 mph
    255.7 miles of 300 mile goal🚴🏻‍♂️🤘🏼
  • icemom011
    Options
    8.18 - 31.30 mi - 1h 48m
    Sluggish on the way home and tired at the end. Disappointed, because usually it feels quick and fun.
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    Goal is to ride at least 3 times a week, preferably more.

8/1: 24.7 miles flat road (15.7 mph)
    8/3: 19.8 miles gravel ride at night (11 mph)
    8/4: 22.1 miles rolling hills paved (14.8 mph)
    8/6; 19.6 miles flat road: (15 mph)
    8/7: 24.6 miles flat road (16.2mph)
    8/9: 25.6 miles hillbilly Flat, social ride.
    8/11: 19.6 miles flat road. 17.5mph
    8/18: 18.8 hilly ride 864’ 14.4mph - wow I missed an entire week!

Total to date: 174.8 miles

• sijomial
    Options
    Got a professional bike fit today including video analysis and saddle pressure mapping. Should be fascinating and I'm hoping for an improvement in comfort on the bike. At the moment I've got the fitness and endurance but have to suffer a bit too much discomfort for the big rides I really want to do.
    I'd love to do some multi day events but at the moment that would be a test of pain endurance which takes away all the fun.
  • ccrdragon
    Options
    8/19:
    Morning ride - 17.58 miles
    Monthly total - 190.67 miles
    Left to goal - 124.33 miles

Good ride this morning, cool temps and low humidity. Set a personal best of 13.0 mph average for the ride as well!
  • icemom011
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Got a professional bike fit today including video analysis and saddle pressure mapping. Should be fascinating and I'm hoping for an improvement in comfort on the bike. At the moment I've got the fitness and endurance but have to suffer a bit too much discomfort for the big rides I really want to do.
    I'd love to do some multi day events but at the moment that would be a test of pain endurance which takes away all the fun.

Congratulations, that's so awesome. Please, post back with results, how much of a difference did it make? Did you change your saddle or just made adjustments?
  • sijomial
    edited August 2020
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

Congratulations, that's so awesome. Please, post back with results, how much of a difference did it make? Did you change your saddle or just made adjustments?

@icemom011

That was an intriguing experience.
    Video analysis of me on my bike on a turbo trainer showed a lot of the basics were very much in the right area but also showed I was trying to compensate for an excessively rocking pelvis by bracing myself hard with my arms.
    The saddle pressure analysis showed the saddle I recently bought to alleviate numbness was only supporting me in a couple of small spots at the front of the saddle and that plus being a bit too wide at the front was causing chafing soreness, rear half of the saddle really wasn't being used at all.
    Back, neck, legs, feet all pretty much fine despite my catalogue of old injuries and I even got confirmation my flexibility is good enough for cycling and my legs are the same length!

A different saddle spread the load far more and stopped the pelvis issue, that should give me a stronger base for generating power from glutes and quads.
    Arms now far more relaxed and on a jig equipped with lasers and cameras we experimented with lots of small adjustments which then transferred to my bike. Bars now could be quite a bit lower as my arms weren't trying to support my weight, also rotated slightly to straighten my wrists, small increase in saddle height. New inserts for my shoes as the old ones revealed I wasn't touching the arch support and was digging my toes in. New position feels very natural and far more relaxed despite being lower.

Saddle was by far the single biggest problem area but the rest showed how much one problem causes other issues by trying to compensate. Looking forward to trying it out if it ever stops raining.
  • icemom011
    Options

@icemom011

Video analysis of me on my bike on a turbo trainer showed a lot of the basics were very much in the right area but also showed I was trying to compensate for an excessively rocking pelvis by bracing myself hard with my arms.
    The saddle pressure analysis showed the saddle I recently bought to alleviate numbness was only supporting me in a couple of small spots at the front of the saddle and that plus being a bit too wide at the front was causing chafing soreness, rear half of the saddle really wasn't being used at all.
    Back, neck, legs, feet all pretty much fine despite my catalogue of old injuries and I even got confirmation my flexibility is good enough for cycling and my legs are the same length!

A different saddle spread the load far more and stopped the pelvis issue, that should give me a stronger base for generating power from glutes and quads.
    Arms now far more relaxed and on a jig equipped with lasers and cameras we experimented with lots of small adjustments which then transferred to my bike. Bars now could be quite a bit lower as my arms weren't trying to support my weight, also rotated slightly to straighten my wrists, small increase in saddle height. New inserts for my shoes as the old ones revealed I wasn't touching the arch support and was digging my toes in. New position feels very natural and far more relaxed despite being lower.

Saddle was by far the single biggest problem area but the rest showed how much one problem causes other issues by trying to compensate. Looking forward to trying it out if it ever stops raining.

Wow, that sounds good, looks like so much was accomplished. Very interesting, thank you for detailed description. I don't think i have anything of a sort locally here, wheee did you go for that and was it expensive?
  • sijomial
    Options

@icemom011

Wow, that sounds good, looks like so much was accomplished. Very interesting, thank you for detailed description. I don't think i have anything of a sort locally here, wheee did you go for that and was it expensive?

I'm lucky that local to me (just to SW of London) is an excellent bike shop called Sigma Sports. Apart from all the sophisticated gizmos the experience of the fitter is key and he was brilliant.
    Yes it was very expensive but at least I didn't end up having to buy a new bike. :smiley:
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I didn’t ride today, but I added up my mileage for the year so far and it’s over 2000 miles! It’s really unbelievable to me, considering where I was at physically in March 2019. 🚴🏻‍♂️🤘🏼Keep on truckin

The bike fit sounds really in depth. Hopefully it enriches your experience in the saddle.

Glad you got thru your crazy week and got back after it @pridesabtch

@ccrdragon love your consistency. Keep up the good work🚴🏻‍♂️

• pridesabtch
    Options
    Loaded up the bike, waited for hubby to finish his run. We were a little behind schedule, but still had time for a decent ride. Then I realized my sunglasses were missing. Wasted another 15 minutes looking for them. No luck. Finally headed out, made some calls to see if anyone found them after the ride last night. No luck. Arrived in Marietta to ride, probably have to cut the ride short with the later start. Go to unload bikes. My back tire is flat. I gave up & came home. Some nights things just don’t go your way. Think I’ll take a half day tomorrow and try again.