Starting strength training over again after 5 years off. Advice?

Options
jmakleanaddo
jmakleanaddo Posts: 101 Member
edited August 2020 in Motivation and Support
I was in relatively good shape about 5 years ago but got a little comfortable once I got into a relationship and lost a bit of motivation to keep working out. I think most people know how the honey moon phases eating habits can last a little too long? ๐Ÿ˜† Anyways trying to build muscle. I'm 5' 9" and about 240lbs right now. Where do I start? Diet Advice? Work out routines? Any help and direction is welcome!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

You have the opportunity while starting to lose weight to have some gainz actually (small, but still).
    While more than 1 lb weekly could be reasonable for awhile - if you want to max the lifting - still go 1 lb for first 40lb to lose.

Get enough protein and fat.
    Log accurately to keep that 500 cal deficit. (meaning log exercise too, and be honest with avg activity level - do those wrong you increase the deficit)

Other than take it careful - you may have good technique still that makes it feel like you could do more, than the muscles & tendons are really ready for.
  • jmakleanaddo
    jmakleanaddo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

You have the opportunity while starting to lose weight to have some gainz actually (small, but still).
    While more than 1 lb weekly could be reasonable for awhile - if you want to max the lifting - still go 1 lb for first 40lb to lose.

Get enough protein and fat.
    Log accurately to keep that 500 cal deficit. (meaning log exercise too, and be honest with avg activity level - do those wrong you increase the deficit)

Other than take it careful - you may have good technique still that makes it feel like you could do more, than the muscles & tendons are really ready for.

This is exactly what I felt today. I felt incredibly weak and lost definitely need to take things slow and carefully