Do I have to exercise?

Options
Sweetredpoison
Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to MFP. I'm really out of shape, and frankly lazy. I have one of those 9 to 5pm desk jobs. I really don't like exercise but I know I have to incorporate it in my daily life. I am not a morning person, and the thought of having to wake up extra early to exercise is looking impossible. Do you think it would be okay just to watch what I eat first and then start exercising? What did you all do?

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercising. All you have to do is eat at a calorie deficit. I personally prefer exercising so I can eat more calories while staying at a deficit.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercising but if you want to take care of your health and not just your weight then I would definitely incorporate some regular activity.
  • shelllord
    shelllord Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, it depends on how much you have to lose, i am not overweight so if i just diet i dont lose anything i stay the same, but if i exercise i can lose , plus i think once ou start you kind of get addicted to the feeling after you have worked out, it makes you feel slimmer too x
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You'll have better results if you try hard.

Hope this helps, good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, but you'll probably be happier with the results (and feel better) if you do. You don't have to workout in the morning, btw. I don't work out until 8-9 at night. It's all the same.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You have to set your own goals
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Diet = Makes you look good with clothes on
    Diet + Exercise = Makes you look good naked as well

:wink:
  • mtnrvn
    mtnrvn Posts: 6
    Options
    You can but I think it helps to improve your metabolism and health to do some activity. I started a 2 minute morning drill (Men's/Women's Health) right out of bed...just 2 minutes but I really notice an effect. 8 exercises 15 seconds each. I sit all day and now I force myself to do 2 minute workoust during the day. I can do three and at end of day you have done 8-10 minutes of activity and it helps.....there are all sorts of mini workouts that you can do. Good luck.
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight without exercise several years ago. When I got on the scale I had the desired weight I wanted, but I noticed my body still looked flabby. So....yes...it is possible to lose pounds without exercise, but your body will not look as good without the exercise.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm pretty new to MFP. I'm really out of shape, and frankly lazy. I have one of those 9 to 5pm desk jobs. I really don't like exercise but I know I have to incorporate it in my daily life. I am not a morning person, and the thought of having to wake up extra early to exercise is looking impossible. Do you think it would be okay just to watch what I eat first and then start exercising? What did you all do?

You definitely don't have to exercise. But I agree that you'll get better results if you do. You can eat more, maintain more muscle mass as you lose, and there are health benefits of course :)
    You might also find that you fall in love with a certain type of exercise. I hated exercise in the beginning but now I love it :). I'm super happy to have a hobby that keeps me feeling good (physically and mentally) and looking good.
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think too many people forget losing weight and being healthy are two different things and they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

If we are talking strictly about weight loss as long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If your net goal for weight loss is 1200 calories a day and you eat 1200 calories of snickers bars every day and sit on your butt and do nothing you will lose weight but it is not being healthy.

A balanced diet is a good place to start and if you can hit your calorie deficit numbers by only eating less then go for it but I think you will find like I do you would have to eat like a bird to hit that number and that really sucks. I would much rather take a 30 minute run and gain a few extra hundred calories so I can have a treat or a more substantial meal.

There are also plenty of other health benefits to exercise which I am sure you know so I wont lecture you.

Remember weigh loss is ONLY about a calorie defecit but that does not = being healthy
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No. You don't have to shower, brush your teeth, or wash your underwear either.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know right where you're coming from. I have an 8-6 high pressure desk job, and it's hard to carve out the time to exercise without it being at the expense of something else. The good news is that you can absolutely lose weight without it. It will take a while longer, so you'll need some patience, and discipline. That's a totally different type of exercise; mental versus physical. I've found that exercise cutting in to something else has been totally worth it though. I'm actually going to try and get up an hour earlier so that I can exercise twice a day.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    No but you might look a bit sexier and be able to eat a little more if you do? And be healthier!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My first three months here I used both diet and exercise within my ability (disabled) and lost 67 lbs.

My last 6 weeks, due to injury I have had to rely on diet alone and lost 2 lbs.

You choose.

There is no requirement that exercise be an early morning thing, any time of the day is fine.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I first began MFP I didn't exercise for months and was only watching what I ate. After losing 30 pounds though my body had adjusted to eating at a calorie deficit and I needed to incorporate exercise to continue seeing results. It's more difficult to exercise when you're heavier anyway, in my opinion. But once the weight starts coming off you're going to be physically lighter and more energetic naturally, and you're going to WANT to start exercising to get quicker results. Just go slow and don't jump into anything, in my experience people who do this crash and burn really quickly, get frustrated and give up. Incorporate the changes little by little and they become a part of your new lifestyle rather than a "diet" or temporary phase just to lose weight.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I lost probably the first 30-38 pounds with very little exercise, and when I did it was only walking and some at home yoga and a few runs at some DVD's, but really not that much. Now that I exercise and lift the weight is coming off much slower. I don't particularly love to exercise but I do like to roller skate and take this deep water exercise class, I also do Zumba with my daughter and a neighbor so that keeps me going and motivated. I am wanting to do more lifting in the fall and hope to find a trainer to help me do The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I often think back to losing without exercise as it came off so much faster, but now that I am closer to goal I know it is necessary, and I will say I definitely feel better and look better from it.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. I've achieved better results by incorporating exercise.

8488541.png
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercising but when you work out you get to eat more and if you lift weights, your body will look much better.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You don't have to in order to lose weight as long as you lower your caloric intake.

I started by doing both...exercise and caloric deficit.

I too HATED exercising and have a full-time desk job but I made myself do it, no excuses. It's amazing what changes in 6 months. Now, I look foward to my workouts...I love them. I find they are such a huge stress reliever and I have so much more energy now than I used to have. Also, you will look A LOT better.

I started with pure cardio and that helped the weight drop but I was still flabby. Now that I have added weight lifting to my routine my body is starting to firm up a lot and the inches are coming off a lot quicker. I look so much better now and I have a confidence now that I haven't had in a long time.

Exercise is a bonus for your health, I would recommend it. Just start off slow, start with a walk and build from there.
This discussion has been closed.