Do I have to exercise?

Options

Replies

• dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you tell yourself you are not a morning person, you won't be a morning person. If you tell yourself you hate exercise, you will hate exercise. If you tell yourself you are lazy, you will be lazy. Why don't you tell yourself something different and see if that makes a difference?
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    I have found that for me, at least some exercise helps keep my metabolism decent enough, or good enough.
    But I have also found you don't gain weight easily once you don't have as much or more sugar as in a candy bar, and all this other stuff. The way I do it, sometimes I drink a lot of water and I do limit what I eat to a certain extent. You don't have to be that picky, but if you eat fresher or more raw foods sometimes and the rest of the time you eat whatever, thats fine. Its not like you have to do a lot of thought for it, but... idk. For me I just do what I feel like and that seems to work. By the way, good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Great Idea! I've tried Zumba. I'm horrible at it and i don't enjoy it. I did enjoy a spinning class I took but I was too out of shape to keep up.
    We're all horrible and unfit at everything when we first try it. I have two left feet in any dance class and couldn't walk for a week the first time I did spinning.

I couldn't run for 30 seconds when I started, but can now head out the door for an hour without thinking twice. But when I tried a Body Attack class the other day I nearly passed out.

Fit means fit for purpose. In exercise terms, that means adapting strength and aerobic capacity to be able to meet the demands of that particular type of workout.

It's not a school PE lesson, you don't need to "keep up". Do everything at your own pace and in time you'll be able to keep up. Just find something you love enough to keep at it.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't have to exercise to lose weight. However you'll find it very beneficial. If you want to improve how you look, have more energy, and give yourself a dose of your bodies own antidepressant (serotonin, dopamine)....then exercise. You don't have to go run a 5k, but maybe start going for a walk in the evening and gradually increase it. Plus, personally I rather exercise hard so I can eat more and still lose. Good luck.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Great Idea! I've tried Zumba. I'm horrible at it and i don't enjoy it. I did enjoy a spinning class I took but I was too out of shape to keep up.

You are not going to be good at most things the very first time you try. But as long as you keep a positive attitude and realize that everyone starts somewhere then you will not be discouraged. :smile:
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Dr. Neale Bernard outlines a program where exercise is optional Dr. Neale Bernard's Program for Reversing Diabetes.

He developed the program with his patients and attempted a dietary solution where patients were told not to add exercise because the study was designed to test what improved nutrition alone could achieve.

His suggestion is basically the adoption of the vegan diet and avoiding animal products of all kinds. Healthy vegan diet, not junk food.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, but you'll probably be happier with the results (and feel better) if you do. You don't have to workout in the morning, btw. I don't work out until 8-9 at night. It's all the same.

Same here... I don't work out until the evening after my son is in bed. Start with a little at a time and work yourself into exercising...
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a class? I kinda hate exercising too, but I started going to a class (Pilates) & now I feel weird if I happen to miss it.... start out just once a week, then bump up the frequency as you get used to it.
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A 30 minute walk at lunch has amazing benefits!
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    No. You don't have to shower, brush your teeth, or wash your underwear either.

Or shave.
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Diet = Makes you look good with clothes on
    Diet + Exercise = Makes you look good naked as well

:wink:
    Love this!

I personally have just been dieting for a month and have lost 9 lbs but I am eager to see what I can lose in the next month when i start working out :)
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    In short- No.

But if you want to be stronger, more energy, better mood- exercise is a great way to get there!
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    I agree with this one :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No. You don't have to shower, brush your teeth, or wash your underwear either.

You've been following me again, haven't you....
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This journey you've embarked upon, grasshopper, is a long one and must be taken at your own speed. Many roads lead to the finish line. Fear not taking the one less traveled.

I like this.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you would like to lose muscle mass instead of fat, then sure.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Technically, no.
    Should you anyway? Yes.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I would stick with making excuses, you seem pretty good at that.
This discussion has been closed.