It baffles me how...

Options
some people work so hard to lose the weight. They might exercise 6-7 days a week and be doing everything right and STILL not losing.

Then, there are people like me, who don't exercise at all, eyeball all their portions, go over calories nearly every day... And lose like it's nothing.

What's the deal there?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think those people who are not losing just *think* they are "doing everything right." Either that or they have some medical condition that is altering their perceived calorie burns.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm not baffled.

Obviously those that aren't losing aren't working out as much as they think or are not watching calories as close as they assume.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Everybody can lose that way initially... but trust me... it slows down and you have to start putting a little more effort in it.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    Idk, it's just weird.

Back when I tried to lose weight the first time, I exercised for a tad every day. At the same amount of calories, didn't eat my exercise calories back because they were so low.

I lost at about half the rate I am now.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The less weight I had to lose the harder it became. I had to watch my calories a lot more closely and eat less to still lose.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Age makes a big difference, so does being M or F.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I lose weight while eating ice cream and pizza. Horray for good genetics!! :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Most people who say they're doing everything right and not losing are in fact not doing everything right. Others have destroyed their metabolisms with repeated crash dieting and severe under-eating...others have nutrient deficiencies because they don't understand what their body needs nutritionally to function properly...this stresses the body out, hormones get all whacked and nothing works right. Others have vitamin deficiencies that hinder weight loss...others have medical conditions or sensitivities to contend with.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not baffled.

Obviously those that aren't losing aren't working out as much as they think or are not watching calories as close as they assume.

^This.

I have a friend who made a resolution with me last December to start working out and eating healthy. He enthusiastically signed up for a gym membership with me and we started going early in the mornings most days of the week. He did work out pretty vigorously when he went to the gym, but he continued to eat poorly and would not count his calories with MFP. He kept eating out with another friend and eating huge meals, would not track calories, and thought exercise alone would work.

No amount of exercise will fix a bad diet. It is impossible to burn off excess calories if you are eating crap all day. If you want to exercise for health benefits, you need to pair it with a healthy diet. There is no substitute for good nutrition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    No amount of exercise will fix a bad diet. It is impossible to burn off excess calories if you are eating crap all day. If you want to exercise for health benefits, you need to pair it with a healthy diet. There is no substitute for good nutrition.
    Actually if we're speaking from a calorie standpoint, you could eat crap all day and lose weight if output exceeds intake. I wouldn't recommend it because it's usually going to mean inadequate amounts of nutrition though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Can't really say because your diary isn't open... but I'd guess your "goal" is low enough that even when you go over, you are still at a moderate deficit.

Others are probably either eating more than they think, or burning less than they think, and are going over their not-so-moderate deficit.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    some people work so hard to lose the weight. They might exercise 6-7 days a week and be doing everything right and STILL not losing.

Then, there are people like me, who don't exercise at all, eyeball all their portions, go over calories nearly every day... And lose like it's nothing.

What's the deal there?

Out to make yourself popular?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    washe.gif
  • theseus82
    Options
    Actually if we're speaking from a calorie standpoint, you could eat crap all day and lose weight if output exceeds intake. I wouldn't recommend it because it's usually going to mean inadequate amounts of nutrition though.

IDEA Fitness member

But if you eat crap all day (Little debbies, refined sugar sweets, etc), you will not possibly achieve satiety for long and will constantly go back for more food quickly because your blood sugars are all over the map. People who eat junk food all day will end up overweight.

It is not possible to eat 1,000 calories of chocolate for lunch and then eat 600 calories of ice cream in the evening and be satisfied all day. That does not happen.

What you are talking about are technically possible situations, they are not realistic expectations. Anyone that eats junk food and refined sugars all day is going to end up overweight in time. Young people who do so will end up overweight as their metabolism slows and muscle mass goes down with age. It is the endpoint for such a diet.

And, no, only serious athletes get to eat 3,000+ calories a day and still maintain health. They usually are sure to eat healthy when they do this, but they are essentially doing their workouts as if it is a fulltime job, because that's actually what their job is. For the rest of us, it is not possible to workout for 2 hours and burn off the amount of excess calories we would consume if we finished off every huge meal with a huge bowl of ice cream with melted hot chocolate etc. More and more research is showing all the time that moderate exercise cannot balance out for sustained poor food choices throughout the day.

You may be a physical trainer, so its essentially your job to stay in shape. But the rest of us have responsibilities like 8 hour shifts at a desk or kids and relationships. So treating workouts like a fulltime job is not an option for most people, and thus they must make healthier food choices.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier to lose weight when you are young and when you have more to lose. When you're not overweight and just want to be a lower healthy weight, it requires much more discipline. It's also tends to be harder for women, and of course, genetics plays a big factor. Some people have higher BMRs and more active jobs/lifestyles.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    -OP's 3rd or 4th time on MFP trying to lose weight.

-Makes post about easy it is to lose weight and wonders why everyone else is having problems with it.

original.gif
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Difference in metabolism and genetics, maybe?
  • theseus82
    Options
    It's a lot easier to lose weight when you are young and when you have more to lose. When you're not overweight and just want to be a lower healthy weight, it requires much more discipline. It's also tends to be harder for women, and of course, genetics plays a big factor. Some people have higher BMRs and more active jobs/lifestyles.

^This. When you are severely overweight, sustained healthy habits can lead to huge weekly losses. Once your body weight gets beyond 300 pounds, it's quite possible to lose 10+ pounds a week if you all of a sudden reduced your calorie intake to 1,500 per day. This has something to do with basal metabolic rate. It takes a lot of calories to sustain 300 pounds of mass. Eat calories that would sustain a 150 pound person of your height and the pounds will melt off.

When I started WW in 2006, I probably lost 40 pounds in the first couple months before I even had a single weightgain. . .
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

But if you eat crap all day (Little debbies, refined sugar sweets, etc), you will not possibly achieve satiety for long and will constantly go back for more food quickly because your blood sugars are all over the map. People who eat junk food all day will end up overweight.

It is not possible to eat 1,000 calories of chocolate for lunch and then eat 600 calories of ice cream in the evening and be satisfied all day. That does not happen.

What you are talking about are technically possible situations, they are not realistic expectations. Anyone that eats junk food and refined sugars all day is going to end up overweight in time. Young people who do so will end up overweight as their metabolism slows and muscle mass goes down with age. It is the endpoint for such a diet.

And, no, only serious athletes get to eat 3,000+ calories a day and still maintain health. They usually are sure to eat healthy when they do this, but they are essentially doing their workouts as if it is a fulltime job, because that's actually what their job is. For the rest of us, it is not possible to workout for 2 hours and burn off the amount of excess calories we would consume if we finished off every huge meal with a huge bowl of ice cream with melted hot chocolate etc. More and more research is showing all the time that moderate exercise cannot balance out for sustained poor food choices throughout the day.

You may be a physical trainer, so its essentially your job to stay in shape. But the rest of us have responsibilities like 8 hour shifts at a desk or kids and relationships. So treating workouts like a fulltime job is not an option for most people, and thus they must make healthier food choices.

It must be nice to be able to post a wall of text without any actual fact and base everything merely on your own personal speculation.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Watch "Secret Eaters" out of Britain and it will explain it all.

You can watch the episodes on youtube.

Someone on MFP mentioned it last month and I have seen all 15 episodes.