Maintaining muscle while losing weight

I’ve got about 20-25 lbs to lose. I’ve lost 70-80 lbs before and I know it’s inevitable that I’ll lose some muscle while in a calorie deficit. I also know it’s possible to gain muscle while losing weight if I were to do a keto diet but I’m not interested in that.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to lose *as little* muscle as possible while losing weight. I walk and do yoga and don’t have access to a gym. Is there a certain amount of protein I should eat/will that make a difference while I’m eating at a deficit?

Realistically, does it make any sense to try to maintain muscle or should I just focus on losing the weight and then switch my focus to building back that muscle afterwards?

Thanks!

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Main-gaining is the way to go 👍🏼
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Whole lot easier to keep it then to build it.

Reasonable rate of loss, enough protein, resistance training - 3 things needed to keep it while fat is lost.

And studies have shown you can keep it all.

LBM is loss, but that is everything not fat, muscle included. Water included.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Thanks everyone! I’ll look into that body weight program and definitely up my protein. Good to know it’s not inevitable that I’ll lose it all.
  • deepsea117
    deepsea117 Posts: 30 Member
    When I was hardcore lifting, I dropped from 285 not much muscle, to 245, and with the arms and chest and legs to boot. I wasn't bodybuilding/bodysculpting...but strength training. I know I gained muscle with the weight loss, because I went from benching 200lbs to 300lbs.

So I'm here to say you CAN lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. It just depends on how hard you're willing to work. And when I was 285, I wasn't strong but I was trained. Sports all through high school and lifting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    strength training
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    deepsea117 wrote: »
    When I was hardcore lifting, I dropped from 285 not much muscle, to 245, and with the arms and chest and legs to boot. I wasn't bodybuilding/bodysculpting...but strength training. I know I gained muscle with the weight loss, because I went from benching 200lbs to 300lbs.

So I'm here to say you CAN lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. It just depends on how hard you're willing to work. And when I was 285, I wasn't strong but I was trained. Sports all through high school and lifting.

Sure, it's possible.

Still, early strength gains typically come in large part from neuromuscular adaptation, basically more effectively/efficiently recruiting and using existing muscle fibers. If you've been trained, but taken a hiatus in training, strength recovery can also be pretty speedy, for similar reasons.

While I agree with you that mass gains are possible in some cases even in a calorie deficit, increased strength is not necessarily proof that that's happened. Size changes can be misleading, too, unfortunately. DEXA, maybe?

As a side note, muscle gains under any conditions tend to be faster on average for men, slower for women, and OP is female.
  • Runninggrl67
    Runninggrl67 Posts: 12 Member
    You guys this thread has so helped me understand. Just reading it gives me encouragement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I’ve got about 20-25 lbs to lose. I’ve lost 70-80 lbs before and I know it’s inevitable that I’ll lose some muscle while in a calorie deficit. I also know it’s possible to gain muscle while losing weight if I were to do a keto diet but I’m not interested in that.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to lose *as little* muscle as possible while losing weight. I walk and do yoga and don’t have access to a gym. Is there a certain amount of protein I should eat/will that make a difference while I’m eating at a deficit?

Realistically, does it make any sense to try to maintain muscle or should I just focus on losing the weight and then switch my focus to building back that muscle afterwards?

Thanks!

Reasonable calorie deficit, good amount of protein, resistance training...you don't lose what you use, but if you don't use it, you lose it. It is far easier to maintain the muscle mass you already have than to build it back later...building muscle mass is hard and takes a lot of time.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    You can lose fat and gain muscle. Especially the more excess fat you have. As you get leaner, it will be harder. The more you lift and the stronger you get. The slower you'll be able to gain muscle and strength.