Lowering cals to beat plateau - is it safe?

Options
Hello everyone. I am currently at a plateau in my weight loss journey, I have been stuck at 171 for about three weeks now. I’ve lost 38 pounds so far since May, my starting weight being 209. All of the research I’ve done says that in order to break my plateau, I need to lower my calories even more. Keep in mind that I’m currently in a 1,200 deficit. I’ve always heard that its unsafe to consume any less than that. Is it safe to cut even 100-200 calories from my deficit now, or is there another way? I’m sure there’s another way but I’m wanting to make sure this is safe if it’s my only option. Thank you!

Replies

• dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5’7” and had almost the same starting weight as you at the end of January (210) - averaged 1200-1400 calories a day plus exercise calories until I hit a 6 week plateau at 175ish in May-June. I didn’t start losing again until about a week after I bumped to 1500-1600 calories a day - at which point it started again and I am averaging about 1 -1.5 per week. That is just my experience.