Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Which weight loss method is the most successful?

2

Replies

  • KiernlaKiernla Member Posts: 7 Member Member Posts: 7 Member
    jo_nz wrote: »
    I think that noom figure is possibly a little misleading.

    I did the noom free trial, but I hated it. I found the "coaching" condescending and annoying so cancelled before the trial was over. I certainly didn't lose any weight on it, but I bet I am not part of that statistic.

    I don't argue that the information they give is helpful, but I didn't like how it was presented - I could get the same in here in a more matter-of-fact tone. For free.

    I had a similar experience. In fact, I suspected my coach was a bot, that was exactly how personalized the advice seemed. The setup didn't ask anything incisive, which was something I expected based on the marketing. I'm sure I'm not included in that statistic either - I only lasted 3 days.
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Member Posts: 2,487 Member Member Posts: 2,487 Member
    Always, the one where you eat less calories than you burn. You can package it and promote it any way you want, but, weight loss always comes down to eating less calories than your body burns.
  • gigmastergigmaster Member Posts: 19 Member Member Posts: 19 Member
    I dunno. I don't think I can help you much here. I keep thinking I've lost 15 lbs, but every time I look behind, I find it again...
  • age_is_just_a_numberage_is_just_a_number Member, Premium Posts: 428 Member Member, Premium Posts: 428 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Keto.

    Uhh, no.



    Ok.
    Vegan . Vegetarian.

    Speaking as 46+ years a vegetarian (and fairly knowledgeable about fully plant-based eating):

    No. Way, way no. Experience based no.

    It was easy to get fat, then obese, as a vegetarian, and stay that way for decades, even when I added a pretty aggressive athletic training regimen (yes, while staying obese, for over a decade doing it). There are fat and obese vegans. I routinely try to talk people here out of becoming vegetarian/vegan if their *only* motivation is weight loss (or health, for that matter). It's a blind alley, a tangent, a red herring, an unnecessary complication, a distraction from the core issue . . . .

    There is no magical way of eating, for weight loss. And even if there were, it wouldn't be vegetarianism. NopeNopeNope.

    Tough crowd.
    If not keto and not vegan then maybe......... paleo. Yes, paleo. Sorry for the confusion.


    @senalay788
    I think what Ann is getting at here is: for weight loss, it does not matter what you are eating; what matters is how many calories are you eating as compared to how many calories you are expending.
    Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Caloric surplus = weight gain
    Neutral calories = maintain weight
    All of these can happen regardless of whether you are doing keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian,etc.
    edited December 2020
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 20,428 Member Member, Premium Posts: 20,428 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Keto.

    Uhh, no.



    Ok.
    Vegan . Vegetarian.

    Speaking as 46+ years a vegetarian (and fairly knowledgeable about fully plant-based eating):

    No. Way, way no. Experience based no.

    It was easy to get fat, then obese, as a vegetarian, and stay that way for decades, even when I added a pretty aggressive athletic training regimen (yes, while staying obese, for over a decade doing it). There are fat and obese vegans. I routinely try to talk people here out of becoming vegetarian/vegan if their *only* motivation is weight loss (or health, for that matter). It's a blind alley, a tangent, a red herring, an unnecessary complication, a distraction from the core issue . . . .

    There is no magical way of eating, for weight loss. And even if there were, it wouldn't be vegetarianism. NopeNopeNope.

    Tough crowd.
    If not keto and not vegan then maybe......... paleo. Yes, paleo. Sorry for the confusion.


    @senalay788
    I think what Ann is getting at here is: for weight loss, it does not matter what you are eating; what matters is how many calories are you eating as compared to how many calories you are expending.
    Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Caloric surplus = weight gain
    Neutral calories = maintain weight
    All of these can happen regardless of whether you are doing keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian,etc.

    I think the point is that senalay's trolling. 🙄 Which I'm not flagging, FTR, just in case someone else does.
  • breefosheebreefoshee Member Posts: 398 Member Member Posts: 398 Member
    Does Noom pay NBC for advertisement? I always find it difficult to trust many sources because they often have a vested interest in a certain program being used.

    The other day I was trying to find the best daily planner for hitting goals. I typed this in the search bar and got advertisements or articles which were actually advertisements. I still don't know which is the best... but someone got $75 from me for a 2021 planner.

    So many people reach their goals in different ways. I know people who have lost quickly or with fad diets and have actually kept it off for years. I also know people who lost weight in a ways I respect that gained it all back.

    I think that motivation/determination plays a key role-- and how people power through is going to be different for everyone. I find it easy to lose weight when I have been losing weight because I'm excited about what I am doing and can see the results.
  • breefosheebreefoshee Member Posts: 398 Member Member Posts: 398 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Does Noom pay NBC for advertisement? I always find it difficult to trust many sources because they often have a vested interest in a certain program being used.

    The other day I was trying to find the best daily planner for hitting goals. I typed this in the search bar and got advertisements or articles which were actually advertisements. I still don't know which is the best... but someone got $75 from me for a 2021 planner.

    So many people reach their goals in different ways. I know people who have lost quickly or with fad diets and have actually kept it off for years. I also know people who lost weight in a ways I respect that gained it all back.

    I think that motivation/determination plays a key role-- and how people power through is going to be different for everyone. I find it easy to lose weight when I have been losing weight because I'm excited about what I am doing and can see the results.

    Dunno. If motivation/determination were universally key, I'd still be obese (or be obese again), like I was for 3 decades or so, rather than being at a healthy weight 5+ years after losing. "Know thyself" is pretty important . . . personalization, to put it more prosaically - as you say, different people succeed in different ways.

    I like this, lots, as a distillation:
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    threewins wrote: »
    Any other weight loss methods you know about?

    1. Eat less, exercise more. If you cannot exercise, then eat less.
    2. Find a way to eat less that is the most satisfying and easy to follow.

    If I were one of those annoying people who say "boom!" a lot, I'd say it here.

    Maybe it is the way that motivation/determination are defined. Initially, I only typed "motivation" but on second thought added "determination". Because there is a reality where one simply determines to stick to something-- be it easy and most satisfying or not. I don't think that being determined has to really be white knuckling through something.

    I do like to be motivated and excited about a plan, but that comes and goes. But I do find motivation to be a catalyst of sorts. When it is there, it propels me through.
  • LisaGetsMovingLisaGetsMoving Member Posts: 662 Member Member Posts: 662 Member
    Eat Less
    Move More

    Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

  • AmyE26AmyE26 Member, Premium Posts: 29 Member Member, Premium Posts: 29 Member
    I think it's not so much about what is the best method, it is what best works for people individually, what works for one person, may not suit another. Personally I've tried loads of things, Slimming World (they kept telling me I wasn't eating enough, but the amount they wanted me to was causing me to gain weight.. Weightwatchers, same thing happened as Slimming World. Dukan diet which didn't work for me because the food I had to eat was ending up very different form what my family ate and it got too expensive or ended up me having the same things days in a row. and even starving myself on 500kcals a day (that was fun and no it didn't work). Other than the starving myself one, the other plans have worked fine for other people.

    I've always had problems with bread but up until last year, I could get away with having a bit every now and again. Long story short I ended up in hospital with sepsis after my intestines nearly perferated, I wasn't even eating bread, but I was eating things with flour/wheat in without realising, on the day I had to go to hospital due to sever pain, I'd had mushy peas (I didn't know they had flour in lol).

    So I had to totally give up anything with wheat in and I started losing weight, so I decided then to start exercising more (walking, rowing machine etc) and I started counting calories with a view of, well if it works brilliant but if it doesn't fine I'm just going to do it anyway. So far, since before christmas (with a break christmas eve, day and new years eve and day) I've lost 41lb, and although I do try to fill half a plate with vegetables (other than potatoes I tend to put on weight with those) I eat what everyone else in my family eats, which means no extra spending and I also eat what I want and not worry about it as long as it's within my calorie allowance and I've had fruit/veg (I won't lie, I don't particulary like fruit and veg). What has really worked for me too, is buying a digital scale, rather than guestimating the measurments of what I was eating, which is what I did before.

    However, just as other things haven't worked for me, what I do may not work for someone else and I think it's just about finding what works for you, things like Slimming World can work for some people because of the social aspect (I'm an anti-social sod and the thought of sitting around with people made me dread going to meetings, which didn't help matters).

    I also think it's about mind-set too, I have found something that works for me and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself so it's just become my normal way of eating now. I do still have problems though which I know are psychological, I weigh myself every day which I know I shouldn't but I feel like I'll mess up if I don't, and if the scales go up or even stay the same, in my head its a disaster and I'm a total failure but before when I was doing the other diet plans that I didn't particularly enjoy, I'd totally give up and go off the rails if that happened but I don't now.



Sign In or Register to comment.