Birthday weekend

Options
Hi,
Yesterday was my birthday and I took the day off of dieting and tracking which im totally fine with. But today my friends surprised me with an amazing party/brunch. It was so nice but I definitely over did it. So thats 2 days celbrating! I usually take a diet break every 5-6 weeks where om off track for the entire day and then back on the next, which works really well for me...Im usually very controled and I know I'll be back on track tomorrow, I just wasn't planning on going off today too, I guess im feeling a bit guilty...any positive thoughts would be great....

Replies

• gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Heya! Don't sweat it too much. A single day (or two or five) isn't a huge deal in the long run (consider how many days you DO stay on plan and how many you have in front of you still), and you're only human; you get to enjoy life even if it very slightly slows down your long-term plans.

So you had a longer diet break than you normally would, and you had a nice time! That's great! You already know you're getting back on track tomorrow and that's the important part. You aren't letting it derail you entirely.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    That was my Friday evening and Saturday too. It’s life though. Join me tomorrow with a fresh start! Like Anne if Green Gables says “isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    It's your *birthday*! You're supposed to enjoy it, not feel bad. This is a couple of days out of your year, NBD.

I've been advocating the theory that if our birthday is a day when we're one year old, we ought to allow it to cover the same percentage of life as we age, so at age 64, I could celebrate for up to 64 days. Now, clearly, I'm joking when I say this, but I do like the general thought. 😆

If you're still in the loss process, you will have delayed reaching goal weight by at most a few days, probably less. (Depends on how much over maintenance calories you ate, and what your routine calorie deficit is. For example, if you ate 1000 calories over maintenance - not just over weight loss calorie goal - each of those two days, and have been losing a pound a week, you'll get to goal weight 4 days later than you would've without the indulgence. Personally, I would consider that a good trade-off, for a happy celebration.)

Even in maintenance, this sort of thing tends to wash out eventually (I'm in year 4+ of successful maintenance as I say this, BTW).

IF you feel less hungry than usual tomorrow, it's fine to eat a little less than usual. If you don't, don't try to "make up for it"; rather, just go back to your routine. Everything will be fine. Expect some water weight/digestive contents effects to cause a jump in scale weight for a few days up to a couple of weeks, but it's mostly not added fat, so not worth worrying about. (That "1000 over maintenance" example would add at most just over half a pound of fat, in theory . . . and in practice it's seemed to me as if the rare big jump in intake doesn't usually add fat weight to the maximum extent I'd calculate.) Just let it work itself out, with time and patience. Feeling guilty burns no calories, improves nothing.

The "case history" in this thread might amuse you, since it's about a couple of days of indulgence and the aftermath:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope

Oh, and: Happy birthday! 🙂

• 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be of the mindset that "life happens." For me I am trying to get out of the all or nothing mindset. Know that you enjoyed your birthday and tomorrow is a new day. You can get right back into the swing of things. Happy Birthday!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Happy Belated Birthday, you deserved to celebrate!! And I bet you're right back to it by now so don't fret. The challenging part is when that celebratory period extends to a week, a month. Then we're talking major gainage. :) That's when serious reining in needs to happen.
    Good luck and be grateful for good friends. :)
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

If you can't have a few treats on your own birthday, when can you?! Hope you enjoyed every mouthful of it.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Wasn't even my birthday this weekend and I went ahead and didn't care too much about it. I've set my eating plans to allow for one or two days of throwing caution to the wind here and there.

And even if I didn't, its only two days. Don't worry about it. :)