Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Grew an inch...overnight

MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 2,655 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,655 Member
After doing my first Gyrotonic session in years (read "eons"), I woke up this morning feeling taller. But that's crazy, right? Right?! Until I got myself measured today...three times.

I'm 5'8" today.

But I've been 5'7" since forever. That's what's on my driver's license so that makes it official.

My poor spine. Have I really been walking around like a knuckle-dragging cave dweller this entire time? 😱

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences with similar stretching approaches: yoga, Pilates, Essentrics, etc
edited August 25

Replies

• PGKYPGKY Member Posts: 133 Member Member Posts: 133 Member
    I grew an inch once too (also 5'7" to 5'8"!), but it was after partial correction of severe scoliosis with major surgery. :sweat_smile:
    If they had managed a complete correction, I'd have probably gotten a second inch.
  • GummiMundiGummiMundi Member Posts: 213 Member Member Posts: 213 Member
    I had never heard of Gyrotonic, thanks for sharing! :)
    I noticed that my posture got a bit better when I started doing Pilates, but it still needs improvement (that's to say, I need to pay more attention to it instead of mindlessly looking at the floor).
  • lalepepperlalepepper Member Posts: 447 Member Member Posts: 447 Member
    We also tend to be a bit taller first thing in the morning than at the end of the day. Natural compression in the spinal column occurs as we stand/sit throughout the day, but it's not typically enough to result in a full inch!
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 2,655 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,655 Member
    Also a fun fact... everyone is slightly taller first thing after waking up in the morning because our bodies relax and stretch a bit during sleep but we usually go right back to our normal height once we’ve been up for awhile and gravity has it’s way with us :D
    lalepepper wrote: »
    We also tend to be a bit taller first thing in the morning than at the end of the day. Natural compression in the spinal column occurs as we stand/sit throughout the day, but it's not typically enough to result in a full inch!

😩

I'm 5'7.75" now. Mind you, that's still taller than 5'7" so I'll take it and keep working on my posture.

Also @cmriverside, it's ok to be jaded. That's my default mode, at least until my second cup of coffee for the day 😉
  • Talan79Talan79 Member Posts: 772 Member Member Posts: 772 Member
    I could use an inch. I’m 5”2 and 41. I’m so worried that I’ll shrink in the next 20 years.
  • claireychn074claireychn074 Member, Premium Posts: 359 Member Member, Premium Posts: 359 Member
    OMG I have to try this! I’m 5’3.5 and always wanted to be taller. Mind you my mum is only 4’11 so I’m a giant in my family 😂
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,637 Member Member Posts: 9,637 Member
    Wow that's wild! I am also 5'7". I wish I was more like 5'8" or 9" .. maybe this will help (not holding my breath though) :D
  • claireychn074claireychn074 Member, Premium Posts: 359 Member Member, Premium Posts: 359 Member
    @sardelsa you’re tall to me! If anyone gets that extra inch it’s me! 🤣🤣
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 2,655 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,655 Member
    It's ok...We can all get our own inches lol It has been a chore to remember to keep engaging my core during the day but I do feel a difference.

I have at least two more Gyrotonic sessions this month so I'll ask my trainer what she thinks about my "growth"
  • savannahs21savannahs21 Member Posts: 298 Member Member Posts: 298 Member
    I've heard that we are ''taller'' when we wake up but walkng/moving all day pushes on our bones or something like that. Don't know if there is any truth to that though.