Grew an inch...overnight

MaltedTea
MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
After doing my first Gyrotonic session in years (read "eons"), I woke up this morning feeling taller. But that's crazy, right? Right?! Until I got myself measured today...three times.

I'm 5'8" today.

But I've been 5'7" since forever. That's what's on my driver's license so that makes it official.

My poor spine. Have I really been walking around like a knuckle-dragging cave dweller this entire time? 😱

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences with similar stretching approaches: yoga, Pilates, Essentrics, etc

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    I had never heard of Gyrotonic, thanks for sharing! :)
    I noticed that my posture got a bit better when I started doing Pilates, but it still needs improvement (that's to say, I need to pay more attention to it instead of mindlessly looking at the floor).
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    We also tend to be a bit taller first thing in the morning than at the end of the day. Natural compression in the spinal column occurs as we stand/sit throughout the day, but it's not typically enough to result in a full inch!
  • MaltedTea
    Also a fun fact... everyone is slightly taller first thing after waking up in the morning because our bodies relax and stretch a bit during sleep but we usually go right back to our normal height once we’ve been up for awhile and gravity has it’s way with us :D
    lalepepper wrote: »
    We also tend to be a bit taller first thing in the morning than at the end of the day. Natural compression in the spinal column occurs as we stand/sit throughout the day, but it's not typically enough to result in a full inch!

😩

I'm 5'7.75" now. Mind you, that's still taller than 5'7" so I'll take it and keep working on my posture.

Also @cmriverside, it's ok to be jaded. That's my default mode, at least until my second cup of coffee for the day 😉
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I could use an inch. I’m 5”2 and 41. I’m so worried that I’ll shrink in the next 20 years.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    OMG I have to try this! I’m 5’3.5 and always wanted to be taller. Mind you my mum is only 4’11 so I’m a giant in my family 😂
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Wow that's wild! I am also 5'7". I wish I was more like 5'8" or 9" .. maybe this will help (not holding my breath though) :D
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    @sardelsa you’re tall to me! If anyone gets that extra inch it’s me! 🤣🤣
  • MaltedTea
    It's ok...We can all get our own inches lol It has been a chore to remember to keep engaging my core during the day but I do feel a difference.

I have at least two more Gyrotonic sessions this month so I'll ask my trainer what she thinks about my "growth"
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    I've heard that we are ''taller'' when we wake up but walkng/moving all day pushes on our bones or something like that. Don't know if there is any truth to that though.
  • I have never heard of this before? What is this therapy and i wonder if it is practiced in Australia?
    Thanks
  • MaltedTea
    I have never heard of this before? What is this therapy and i wonder if it is practiced in Australia?
    Thanks

Looks like there are a couple of dozen studios across Oz @shredderlivingstrong888. The link is part of the official site for this practice, btw.

The goal of it is not to make you taller per se lol That was just a REALLY nice surprise bonus. This month, for example, I'm doing a high rep kettlebell workout (500 swings per session, 4x per week). When I saw my trainer yesterday, she ran me through some motions on the humongous, torture-looking apparatus (that's the Gyrotonic part) as well as showed me exercises and stretches to do before and during my KB workout (that's the Gyrokinesis part).

As such, you can find Gyrokinesis videos on YouTube from certified/trained professionals or private/pay-for- access from others like my trainer.

Either way, you'll find that your body (primarily your core) moves in ways you didn't know it could which may help you during other exercises (weight-bearing, cardio, mobility, flexibility, etc).

Yoga and Pilates (the latter with an equally humongous, torture-looking apparatus/reformer) are good alternatives...especially with a trainer to start you off, if you can.
  • RaynaHerraya
    RaynaHerraya Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you for posting this info - I LOVE <3 learning new things to improve my health! It's interesting how changing your health changes your view. Nowadays I get so excited to try some new physical activity. B)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2020
    I've heard that we are ''taller'' when we wake up but walkng/moving all day pushes on our bones or something like that. Don't know if there is any truth to that though.

Yes, @savannahs21 I've heard the same thing.

Could easily be tested by measuring at night and then morning.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

Yes, @savannahs21 I've heard the same thing.

Could easily be tested by measuring at night and then morning.

Since I had the idea, I tested it.

I was 1 cm taller early in the morning compared to last thing at night.