Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I take in
    100g of whey protein per day
    50-100g of animal protein per day
    And 50-100gof egg white protein per day

Along with proten gained through other sources such as oat milk, grains, nuts.

It's easy, just gotta plan ahead and spend some $$
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    tnh2o wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you use or promote protein powder because you don't do either. I am not much of a meat eater and you gave me some ideas on how to get more protein out of a vegetarian diet without using any supplements. I hope that clarifies things or am I just digging a deeper hole.

No worries! I wasn't upset or anything like that by your comment. It's more that I flag-wave sometimes (😉) about it being *possible* to get a decent amount of protein on a vegetarian diet, without *necessarily* using protein supplements per se, if people don't *want* to use them. Since you can see my diary, but others can't, I just wanted to clarify that I haven't been misrepresenting about not using protein powder. 😆

I have a pretty strong personal bias toward "get nutrients from traditional foods" for myself, but I don't think others need to follow that - not at all.

I am biased to getting my protein in all ways possible. My protein dessert! You have seen it
    (snip delish image, for reply length)

i have no quarrel with that.

IMO: Getting the protein (and good overall nutrition generally) is the biggest thing. Getting it enjoyably and satisfyingly is the second thing.

Everyone enjoys eating in different ways, and that's a wonderful thing - I mean that sincerely.

I'm not implying special virtue in my personal food choices. There is no virtue in them. They're just personal preferences, about *my* enjoyment.
  • GlynIrish
    GlynIrish Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I take in
    100g of whey protein per day
    50-100g of animal protein per day
    And 50-100gof egg white protein per day

Along with proten gained through other sources such as oat milk, grains, nuts.

It's easy, just gotta plan ahead and spend some $$

Thanks for the tips bud I appreciate it
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    If you are indeed lifting heavy stuff and interested in gaining lean body mass you may find the following to contain some useful information:

https://www.andybaker.com/building-a-simple-diet-for-mass/

Excerpt:

"Effective Diet is like training……it’s so simple a fool cannot comprehend it, and so brutally hard that a lazy man will refuse to accept it.

7:00am: 6 Whole Eggs scrambled with onion and peppers + 1/2 cup Oatmeal (uncooked) made with water
    10:00am: 2 Scoops Whey in water + 1 Banana
    1:00pm: 6 oz cooked chicken breast + 1/2 cup rice (uncooked) + 1 cup broccoli
    4:00pm: (Pre-workout): 2 scoops Whey mixed with 1/4 cup Cream of Rice cereal (dry) + 1 Orange
    6:00pm: (Post-workout): 1 scoop Whey mixed with 1 bottle of Gatorade (immediately post workout)
    7:00pm: 6 oz Sirloin (cooked) + 1 red potato + Asparagus
    10:00pm: 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese

Most guys send me a diet that looks like this when I start working with them as clients:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit
    Lunch: Sandwich and some pretzels
    Snack: some fruit or almonds
    Dinner: whatever my wife makes

Of course they also include about 42 different types of supplements they are taking. Throw that s**t out. Spend your money on food if you want to grow."
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    If you are indeed lifting heavy stuff and interested in gaining lean body mass you may find the following to contain some useful information:

Excerpt:

"Effective Diet is like training……it’s so simple a fool cannot comprehend it, and so brutally hard that a lazy man will refuse to accept it.

7:00am: 6 Whole Eggs scrambled with onion and peppers + 1/2 cup Oatmeal (uncooked) made with water
    4:00pm: (Pre-workout): 2 scoops Whey mixed with 1/4 cup Cream of Rice cereal (dry) + 1 Orange
    6:00pm: (Post-workout): 1 scoop Whey mixed with 1 bottle of Gatorade (immediately post workout)

Most guys send me a diet that looks like this when I start working with them as clients:

Of course they also include about 42 different types of supplements they are taking. Throw that s**t out. Spend your money on food if you want to grow."

Excerpt:

Excellent write up thank you very much it really puts things in perspective properly for me
    My only question is uncooked rice is there a difference between eating it raw and boiled
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    uncooked is for measurement purposes if you want to eat it uncooked make sure you have a good relationship with your dentist
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    first, what is your daily overall calorie budget? unless you're a serious bodybuilder, i can't imagine why you'd need to eat 220 grams of protein per day, which would be 880 calories from protein alone.

US dietary guidelines suggest 10-35% of calories from protein. 880 calories would be a bit less than 30% of a 3,000 calorie a day diet.

I maintain on a 3,000 calories a day, I lift and walk but have an office job and am far from a serious bodybuilder. FYI, I weigh around 205 at 6'2" and I'm in the 800-900 calories a day from protein range.
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    uncooked is for measurement purposes if you want to eat it uncooked make sure you have a good relationship with your dentist

That's what I was thinking lol plus the chances of food poisoning are high eating uncooked rice