MFP is expensive!

Options
ChickenmommaMich
ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Since joining MFP three weeks ago I've bought a heart rate monitor, myotape, digital body scale, food scale, and protein powder! I'm not complaining, I'm actually thrilled! This is the first time in the 5 years that I've been trying to lose weight, that I've actually seen the scale move in the right direction! It's due to all the helpful posts I've read on the forums here. I've learned about BMR, TDEE and the importance of strength training. So all in all, I'm very thankful to MFP and the helpful and supportive people on here.

PS - Since I'm kind of new here, does anyone want to be my friend :) I'm vegetarian so it would be helpful to have other vegetarian/vegan friends. I welcome anyone's "friendship" regardless of diet however.

Replies

• dth256
    dth256 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but am looking for friends! I sent you a request.
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love it when people get me to click because of their subject lines! :)

I have to agree... because of a fitbit, more accurate scale for measure and other sundry kitchen gadgets.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Check out the Happy Herbivores group. There are a lot of v*gans on here.
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You're not wrong. I've never heard of Fitbit before in my life! Now I must have one. Maybe for my b-day.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    wait until you need smaller clothes, better sneakers because you've started running, smaller clothes than that, a new belt, fitness apps for your phone, smaller clothes and maybe some dumb bells for at home and still smaller clothes.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! I just ordered a HRM, too! I already had a FitBit! But it is the best investment I have ever made!
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ill be going vegan during September so you can add me if you like :)
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm thinking a fitbit might be in my future (once I save up some more money!) and possibly some new clothes. I really like my current work clothes, so those will be hard to let go of. A belt however will extend their life a bit. I've already lost a pant size! It's not enough to make my pants fall down, but enough to make them feel roomy and comfortable :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Wow, the only thing I've bought since joining is a HRM.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I bought shoes, which need replaced since my mud run :). Have not gotten a FitBit, though.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    wait until you need smaller clothes, better sneakers because you've started running, smaller clothes than that, a new belt, fitness apps for your phone, smaller clothes and maybe some dumb bells for at home and still smaller clothes.

I had to read that post twice, I was trying to figure out what you needed dumb bells for. Is he so skinny he has to wear bells so people here him coming? Did he tie the bells to his fridge or pantry to ring everytime he opens the door? Oh wait he meant dumbbells not dumb bells - now i get it.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Already wore out the new food scale! Taken 2 sacks of clothes to the charity shops! Paid for pt lessons to learn correct technique for heavy lifting! Vegi /vegan here , request sent!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot. I didn't know what myotape was so I googled it now I want to buy that.:wink:

Have a fun journey spending money.:flowerforyou:
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but always happy to make new friends :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP three weeks ago I've bought a heart rate monitor, myotape, digital body scale, food scale, and protein powder!

I've been here for 2+ years and never heard of myotape. What is that?

I do have a digital body scale and tried protein powder, but it was too expensive and constipated me so I cut that out. No HRM or food scale, though I am thinking about a Fitbit Flex.
  • FitCurlysue
    FitCurlysue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    HAHA I was about to ask if you were crazy---it's free afterall :) But I get what you mean. While it doesn't take all that much to lose weight there are things in life to add to your weight loss journey that may make the loss happen faster or a little easier (Fitbit, HRM, cleaning out the kitchen). I personally don't know what I'd do without a HRM and used to think it was only for athletes...now I laugh because it's an everyday part of my life every time I participate in an active workout! :)

Edit: I also had never heard of a myotape. But to be honest, those things are not reliable very much. Unless you really know how to use them well, and some personal trainers don't even know how to use them well and consistently in the correct way, you might get a false reading. You'd be better off getting a metabolic test or going to a place that actually tests for body fat. Otherwise, just measure with a measuring tape!
  • mamajenny2
    mamajenny2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and staying healthy is definitely more expensive than the alternative! :-) I only bought a HRM and some protein powder that I use here and there for now, but I am so glad that I have both. :-) I have a cheap food scale that I bought probably 10-12 years ago, but it does the job...
    Great job on best wishes on your journey!!! I couldn't live without MFP!! :-)
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have bought a HRM, digital scale, tape measure, runtastic app, proper running shoes, arm band for my phone( for running) and several cute outfits to run in.

I am happier, healthier, sexier, more confident and 22lbs lighter.

I love MFP.
  • zcarpenter91
    zcarpenter91 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Haha yea, I hear ya. Accessories can be quite expensive, but I have definitely learned that they are worth it :)

P.S. We can never have too many friends, sent you a request :)
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It's quite expensive.

Thanks to MFP, I now need an UP band (but I can get a great discount on them).

Also, I need a power rack for our basement gym (I have the SL 5x5 women's group to thank for that).

And finally, I need more compression shorts because I'm rocking the hell out of the pairs I currently have.
This discussion has been closed.