Swimmer Without a Pool

Options
Has anyone else found themselves unable to do their normal workout due to covid? My normal workouts were swimming but most of the pools in my area are still closed (except during work-day hours) unfortunately. Is anyone else finding themselves in this situation where they have to find new workouts to do because of covid?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,024 Member
    Options
    Any lakes nearby?
  • Erswim10
    Erswim10 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not, that would be great though! I am kind of learning to adapt myself to new workouts like cardio exercises on land instead of in the water. It's a learning curve after just swimming for so long.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Yeah for majority of lockdown here in Ireland I wasn't able to go rowing due to the restrictions, but then I wasn't particularly motivated to go out on the water much prior to it because we had shocking weather. Found myself doing more strength training at home. Now that everythings returned to semi-normal I am doing neither, trying to get back into routine slowly.
  • JojoInTheForks
    JojoInTheForks Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, I miss the pool desperately!!! Since it is summer here I have been beaching it but not the same as my workouts in the pool. So started running. Did the couch25k and now on the learn to run 10k app. I'll be back in the pool just as soon as it opens but am finding the running to be a great complement to the swimming and hope to stick with it too!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain! I happen to work fairly nearby the famous Walden Pond in Concord MA USA and even went there today on the way to work. I have been to one other ponds as well and have done a few ocean swims. It's been great!

12oxp33c27ej.png

But, it will all come to an end soon. My usual pool has very limited services at the moment (I'm not allowed to swim there), and we don't know if it will open to the general public anytime soon. And, if it does, will we be confident to use it? I mean, COVID doesn't propagate in water (particularly chlorinated water) but we are all breathing at water level, often right next to each other!

You can run all winter, you can ride a real or stationary bike, but is there any good and affordable substitute for swimming?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    No, there isn't. You clearly have confidence in the water, @Jthanmyfitnesspal Swimming brought me back to life. From a tadpole to a somewhere over the rainbow trout.
  • Erswim10
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! It is good to have people to connect with that are in the same boat as me. Running has always been an alternative for me but I can never find myself as motivated to do that as I do in the water. That is really where I find my zen and can really get into the zone for working out.

I am also wary of using the pools once they open up, how will I know that when I stop at a wall for a break the person in the lane next to me won't stop at the same time and the breathing gets to me too. I know when I breathe out as I am swimming I am breathing hard especially near the end of a workout so I'm not sure if it's the safest yet. Will have to make a trip to a pond or the ocean sometime soon just to be in the water again.
  • Diatonic12
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It's not the swimming pool that worries me, it's the dressing rooms and everything else over at the cement pond. It's a tee-total wreck. There is no cleaning because they only empty the trash cans. We've left things on purpose and they stay right there for months Leaverites. Leave' em right there.

• Erswim10
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    It's not the swimming pool that worries me, it's the dressing rooms and everything else over at the cement pond. It's a tee-total wreck. There is no cleaning because they only empty the trash cans. We've left things on purpose and they stay right there for months Leaverites. Leave' em right there.

Wow, that is scary and seems like a bit of mismanagement on their part. Dressing rooms worry me as well, the gym I used to go to for swimming has the machines and group workouts open but not the pool, very frustrating!
  • Diatonic12
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It's such a dump but the pool is the only game in town. We simply haven't got the time to tell you what swimming does for me. I miss it so much. It's a beautiful way of life.

7bf0b682ae8e1ba4f1ef2e2f5f97f530.jpg
  • Erswim10
    Options
    I love swimming as well, it is truly one of the things in life that allows me to zen and destress.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve loved lake swimming this summer, but that will last only a few more weeks. The Y is reopynext week, but not the pool. Don’t know yet if I’ll go to the pool when it does open. No showers or changing rooms will be open. 8ib6hmt5pliz.jpeg
    dt80vmv2dpzi.jpeg
  • lorrpb
    Options
    6plg1pyqpikf.png
    g5yl98l4ungg.jpeg
    atre4ybtet34.jpeg
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Sorry, the quote slipped in there accidentally but I’m sure you’ll appreciate it nonetheless. 🤗
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @Erswim10 The thoughts that come and go while you're swimming...I have a swimming radio, too. Oy vey. I sure do miss it. Hope we'll be back there soon.
  • Erswim10
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Sorry, the quote slipped in there accidentally but I’m sure you’ll appreciate it nonetheless. 🤗

I do appreciate all that you posted, it is awesome to see that people have still been swimming! I think I would rather not go through the locker rooms once my gym pool opens back up (it is the only way to get to the pool unfortunately). I would just wear my mask all the way until I am ready to get in, what a sight to see that would be!
  • Erswim10
    Options
    @Erswim10 The thoughts that come and go while you're swimming...I have a swimming radio, too. Oy vey. I sure do miss it. Hope we'll be back there soon.

I have always thought about getting a waterproof ipod or mp3 to bring in the pool with me, I am just worried I would get too lost in the music and swimming that I wouldn't count my laps!
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    I don't count my laps. :D They have a large screen on the wall with the time and I just go until I can't go anymore. They often play short vids for the kids without the sound.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Erswim10 wrote: »

I have always thought about getting a waterproof ipod or mp3 to bring in the pool with me, I am just worried I would get too lost in the music and swimming that I wouldn't count my laps!

I bought one, but didn't like it. You have to turn it up very loud to hear over the noise of the water lapping over your head. (Or is that just me?)

• Erswim10
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Erswim10 wrote: »

I bought one, but didn't like it. You have to turn it up very loud to hear over the noise of the water lapping over your head. (Or is that just me?)

I can imagine that would be bothersome! I just feel as though I would always be checking that it was staying on correctly!