Swimmer Without a Pool

Options
2»

Replies

• SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really miss the public swimming pool. I have a knee injury and have put back on weight that I previously lost. I'm lost as to what to do with swimming no longer an option.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    We're just fish outta water and I would much rather be in the swim of things. Swimming with the fishes. I have no problem with my radio and it really keeps me going. A good song comes on and I swim for it. I mowed 4 acres of grass today with a push mower.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    BTW: Hot tip for lake/pond swimming. Rinse your ears with 50:50 alcohol, white vinegar right afterward to keep from getting swimmer's ear. I got this tip from my doctor and it seems to have worked!
  • Erswim10
    Erswim10 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I really miss the public swimming pool. I have a knee injury and have put back on weight that I previously lost. I'm lost as to what to do with swimming no longer an option.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully we will all be able to get back in the water soon!
  • Erswim10
    Options
    BTW: Hot tip for lake/pond swimming. Rinse your ears with 50:50 alcohol, white vinegar right afterward to keep from getting swimmer's ear. I got this tip from my doctor and it seems to have worked!

Thank you! I had swimmers ear a lot when I was younger and swimming during the summers so this is very helpful.
  • Erswim10
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    We're just fish outta water and I would much rather be in the swim of things. Swimming with the fishes. I have no problem with my radio and it really keeps me going. A good song comes on and I swim for it. I mowed 4 acres of grass today with a push mower.

Whenever I run (or walk) I always have an ipod for songs or podcasts, it takes me away from knowing that I'm actually exercising on land.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I joined the Y to swim laps 6 weeks before the shutdown. In the past if I ran but didn't swim it was no problem to resume swimming. If I swam but didn't run I had to start from scratch when it came to running.
    I love the quietness of swimming so no music for me.
    I wear earplugs when I swim to keep the water out.
  • Erswim10
    Options
    I traveled and found a pool to use this morning. It felt great to be back in the water even if I did have to drive a bit to get there!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yep, no pool or gym, so I started making YouTube my best friend. I do Sydney Cummings workouts and a bunch of step (usually Karla@Fitoutsidethebox). I can still go run at the park, well it closed for March and April, but has been open for a while now.
  • Erswim10
    Options
    Yep, no pool or gym, so I started making YouTube my best friend. I do Sydney Cummings workouts and a bunch of step (usually Karla@Fitoutsidethebox). I can still go run at the park, well it closed for March and April, but has been open for a while now.

That is awesome, I will have to check out those channels on YouTube. Thank you!
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have this one and it works quite well but not cheap. The long "tree" earbuds work as earplugs and keep all the water and 90% of the ambient sounds out. My rec center opened reservation only swimming about a month ago and I have been going a few days a week. Downsides are that you only have 45 minutes total, only 6 spots available at 3 set times M-F and no locker rooms at all so you have to go in with your suit on and leave with it on (wet obviously). That hasn't been an issue since it has been hot here (Colorado) but we are actually getting snow today (91 and sunny yesterday, 32 and snow today 🤷‍♀️) so tomorrow should be interesting! 🥶

https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Audio-Waterproofing-Compatible-AquaGuard/dp/B07ZJTQXXL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+ipod+shuffle+for+swimming&qid=1599609178&sr=8-3
  • Erswim10
    Options
    I have this one and it works quite well but not cheap. The long "tree" earbuds work as earplugs and keep all the water and 90% of the ambient sounds out. My rec center opened reservation only swimming about a month ago and I have been going a few days a week. Downsides are that you only have 45 minutes total, only 6 spots available at 3 set times M-F and no locker rooms at all so you have to go in with your suit on and leave with it on (wet obviously). That hasn't been an issue since it has been hot here (Colorado) but we are actually getting snow today (91 and sunny yesterday, 32 and snow today 🤷‍♀️) so tomorrow should be interesting! 🥶

https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Audio-Waterproofing-Compatible-AquaGuard/dp/B07ZJTQXXL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+ipod+shuffle+for+swimming&qid=1599609178&sr=8-3

Thank you for the recommendation! Wow, crazy weather you are having there, but I can imagine it is quite a relief to have the pool open even though the space and time are limited. Our gyms are opening thier pools again (yay!) but they do not have a sign-up system for reservations so it is first come, first serve. And they only have two lanes open...I am figuring I will try to go this week and trend my workouts earlier to avoid the crowds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I have an earlier model of this Sony Waterproof MP3 player and I love it!

https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-Waterproof-dustproof-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B071NTXYNY/

61Ycx6grtNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Oh man, I miss my pool! Mine is attached to the city's parks system, and COVID seems to have nearly bankrupted them. No pools open for the foreseeable future. Their gyms aren't open, so out went my weights as well. My husband and I decided that given the coming dark and wet months of the Pacific NW, we'd invest in a rowing machine. I rowed in college for a bit. I was getting back into land rowing in the gym. One of our adult kids lives with us for now, so we felt like we could justify the cost if 3 adults and possibly one teen use it. It arrives in the next two weeks and I can't wait. Neither can my knees! I am not used to walking/running this much. I miss my back and forth in the pool with music. My problem was remembering not to sing while swimming!! :lol:

ETA: with the wildfires and smoke right now, workout options are in short supply...