What's the deal with pasta?

Ok. So, I know regular pasta is supposed to be a no go....but, I plugged in two of my pasta recipes and the serving size still fit into my counts, including trying to be around 1200 calories. So, is it ok to eat pasta if everything else aligns for the day? Thanks, Lynne

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Pasta is fine. Once a week for me. I usually get by with 56g but push it to 83 when I don't have a lot of lobster to go in the dish. If its just red sauce, skip the olive oil and it has about no calories. If its shrimp or crab I just double or triple up on it. Its pretty hard to eat 150 calories of shrimp in a pasta dish. Each jumbo shrimp weighs about 4 grams and has about 4 calories
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    How do you get to 1200 calories? Is it 600 calories of olive oil + pasta?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    How do you get to 1200 calories? Is it 600 calories of olive oil + pasta?

I'm talking for OP now, but I'm fairly sure she was meaning 1200 calories/ day....not a 1200 calorie pasta meal...lol

If it (pasta) fits into your calorie limit for the day and your daily macros (if you track those too) then mangia e divertiti
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Eat what you want as long as you meet your goals.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Yes!

The 'problem' with pasta is that it can be easy to eat large quantities of it, and with lots of added oils and heavy sauces.

There is no actual problem with eating pasta (or anything else) as long as you are aware of calorie content and how it fits into your day.

Made home made mac & cheese over the weekend. Recipe included 16 oz elbow pasta, 21 ounces shredded cheddar 2.5 cups heavy cream, 1.5 cups 1% milk, butter, salt, pepper, flour. After it was all accounted for, the reasonable sized scoop that I put on my plate was about 500 calories. It was good, and I enjoyed it. And I fit it in my calorie needs for the day. :)

maddduo wrote: »
    Ok. So, I know regular pasta is supposed to be a no go....but, I plugged in two of my pasta recipes and the serving size still fit into my counts, including trying to be around 1200 calories. So, is it ok to eat pasta if everything else aligns for the day? Thanks, Lynne

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Anything goes if it fits into your calorie deficit. Any, and all food, is diet food, ir you stay in a deficit.

Watch your numbers for proper nutrition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2020
    I tend to bulk up my pasta recipes with lots of vegetables and I usually use 40 grams instead of 56 grams of pasta. :)

Another vote for bulking up pasta with veggies (and protein.)

I can eat an insane amount of just pasta, butter, and salt, but with the veggies and protein I have portions that fit in my calorie goals.