Keto for a beginner- please help

Hi 👋

I am starting the keto diet. Does anyone have any info or tips I should know about? Ive seen things online where it say you can have as much oil as you want. Is this true? Do most of you track the amount of oil you use? Do you try to stay under your daily calorie goal while on Keto? I feel like if you are using oil or butter and tracking it in your food diary that adds up to a lot of calories and doesn’t leave much room for food. I need help, lol 😝

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Check out reddit's r/keto - it'll be far faster for finding information you're looking for.
  • GigiJabo
    GigiJabo Posts: 13 Member
    @CipherZero thank u for the reddit reference, its very helpful

• amymc70
    amymc70 Posts: 3 Member
    I’m 3 months in and I’ve always tracked the oils. Think I’ll read the article as well for more insight. Thinking I’ll pay for premium to do net carb tracking.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Watch labels. Things are trickly. For example... Steamed veggies in a cheese sauce. Sounds good, but they add stuff to the cheese sauce that is not keto friendly.

Disclaimer - I do low carb and not keto :)
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    If you feel really awful out of nowhere, check your electrolytes and make sure you are getting everything you need. Keto flu is really just dehydration and low electrolytes and you have to be super diligent about getting them in.

Avocado, dark leafy greens, salt (yes salt), mushrooms. If I am not eating much of those one week, I take a daily supplement I found online.

The first time I did keto, I felt sick and tired and constipated. Now, that I am paying close attention to electrolytes, I feel amazing.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    Watch labels. Things are trickly. For example... Steamed veggies in a cheese sauce. Sounds good, but they add stuff to the cheese sauce that is not keto friendly.

Disclaimer - I do low carb and not keto :)

Isn't low carb the same as keto?
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    You may want to adjust your protein suggestion to 0.8 times your weight in kg or you will have 300 pound people trying to eat 300 grams of protein a day.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited September 2020
    - Calories count. Period - Track everything. Oil is very dense. You may want to add whole foods instead- Macadamia, Tahini, Avocado. Perhaps stick to low carb and do a bit of research before you go keto.
    - Keto was originally designed for seizures, epilepsy. It is also valuable for weight loss, HOWEVER- It is often not sustainable and you may want to consider longevity, long term success, practicality and what will be a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, more so than going on a " diet".
    Oil is good inmoderation and limited amounts for garnish, cooking if necessary.
    What is your current lifestyle? Eating preferences? Triggers or cravings? There is a lot of bad information out there. I suggest considering a way to change your lifestyle and track calories.
    I have seen people do very well with a clean keto and know several, many really customers and clients( personal training, wellness store) and friends who lost and gained, got very ill yet a few adopted a long term solution by cutting carbs. I found keto too restrictive because I love broccoli, cauliflower and greens and to be " keto"" I would have to cut back on them.
    Any " diet" that tells me to cut spinach, broccoli is quite frankly not promoting longevity. I mainly do 40/30/30 range. I had much success myself with balance and food choices
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    wmpottsjr wrote: »
    You may want to adjust your protein suggestion to 0.8 times your weight in kg or you will have 300 pound people trying to eat 300 grams of protein a day.

psulemon's is a good number, but generally should be based on a healthy goal weight if one is overweight.
  • loona_tick
    loona_tick Posts: 2 Member
    I am also starting keto / low carb, and so far have not been hungry at all. So my 2 meals a day have been small but filling and currently very low in calories too. 1000 cals. Still here to hear some more tips.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    - I found keto too restrictive because I love broccoli, cauliflower and greens and to be " keto"" I would have to cut back on them.

Actually I have broccoli everyday on keto. 2 grams of net carbs per ½ cup for broccoli. Spinach is also good, as long as you eat it raw in a salad. Spinach is also low in carbs, but the carbs become more concentrated as the leaves are cooked down and lose their volume. For example, one cup of cooked spinach contains 7 grams of carbs with 4 grams of fiber, whereas one cup of raw spinach contains 1 gram of carbs with almost 1 gram of fiber. Everyday I have a big salad with 50/50 spinach and spring mix, with no sugar ranch dressing. Sometimes I add cut up hard boiled eggs on top. I don't add cheese, but you certainly can if you want to.

However, yes, I consider it a diet. For lifestyle change, I like that when I stop keto I will likely avoid sugars out of habit, and cook more whole foods than stuff in a box or with preservatives or flavors. It is true that the diet is very restrictive! It is really hard sometimes. However it is the only thing I've tried that gives weight loss that lasts. To each their own!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    - I found keto too restrictive because I love broccoli, cauliflower and greens and to be " keto"" I would have to cut back on them.

Actually I have broccoli everyday on keto. 2 grams of net carbs per ½ cup for broccoli. Spinach is also good, as long as you eat it raw in a salad. Spinach is also low in carbs, but the carbs become more concentrated as the leaves are cooked down and lose their volume. For example, one cup of cooked spinach contains 7 grams of carbs with 4 grams of fiber, whereas one cup of raw spinach contains 1 gram of carbs with almost 1 gram of fiber. Everyday I have a big salad with 50/50 spinach and spring mix, with no sugar ranch dressing. Sometimes I add cut up hard boiled eggs on top. I don't add cheese, but you certainly can if you want to.

However, yes, I consider it a diet. For lifestyle change, I like that when I stop keto I will likely avoid sugars out of habit, and cook more whole foods than stuff in a box or with preservatives or flavors. It is true that the diet is very restrictive! It is really hard sometimes. However it is the only thing I've tried that gives weight loss that lasts. To each their own!

I eat about 2-4 cups broccoli, 1-3 bags of leafy greens and cauliflower, about 2 to 4 cups..1/2 cup is nothing to me!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    If someone says oil is a "free food" its a BS plan. Ignore that part and maybe you can lose some weight by getting rid of the carbs.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    If someone says oil is a "free food" its a BS plan. Ignore that part and maybe you can lose some weight by getting rid of the carbs.

It's a "free food" in the content of having no carbohydrates.

Keto is simple on the daily surface: <20g carbs, Proteion of 0.8g/lb body weight (more or less), the rest is fat.

Because of the high fat and relatively high protein it tends to be more satiating than higher-carb eating. It doesn't mean Calories aren't important, but staying under is easier.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    If you aren't counting oil in getting to a calorie deficit you won't be doing anything but guess work. At 9 calories per gram the deficit is gone in a couple of mouthfuls. And, keto seems just ill advised to me in the first place. The whole notion of carbohydrate "triggering" is a made up theory.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

1/2 a cup of broccoli sounds like a garnish to me, not a serving for someone who allegedly loves broccoli. :D