Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Vegan Milk

13»

Replies

• MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,978 Member Member Posts: 1,978 Member
    Just a follow up to that Wired article on lab grown meat -- that company went out of business. I was a bit surprised, but not too much so. Turns out that the entire team is now working on a new venture -- what they learned from trying to grow meat was revolutionary in terms of identifying and selecting individual cells for desirable characteristics. Now they are working at growing micronutrients from plant based sources -- identifying what makes certain foods so healthy for you, then isolating those cells and growing them. There's a huge demand in drug therapies (and in nutraceuticals) for that technology. The new company was founded by the CTO of the lab meat company and (I guess) a fairly well known Vegan podcaster.

Found this article interesting as well. Talking about how prevalent fermentation is becoming in plant based meat alternatives.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/6-recent-developments-in-the-alternative-protein-industry/
  • VeryKatieVeryKatie Member Posts: 5,698 Member Member Posts: 5,698 Member
    Perfect Day, a startup that I've been following out of curiosity more than anything else (and I know a few of the engineers involved), now has Vegan products, including Ice Cream, out in stores.

Basically, this company, through fermentation methods that have existed for years, has grown milk proteins in a lab that are lactose free and animal cruelty free (they just needed some dairy DNA to start). So no veal, no cruelty of dairy farms, but this is supposed to taste identical to real dairy.

They are out in stores already as "Brave Robot" ice cream. Just wondering if vegans on here would get on board with that or still stick with plant based foods. My wife can't do cow dairy, even if it's lactose free, so I'll likely stick to the non-dairy versions.

Have no idea how expensive it is yet.

Well if it has real cow milk DNA it isnt vegan though. I'm not vegan. But. That would not fall into a vegan category. Some cow at some point was milked for that DNA.

I still wouldn't switch... but because casein and I dont agree.

Edit: after reading some of these comments I feel very uneducated... soooo ignore me.
    edited October 26
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,978 Member Member Posts: 1,978 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Perfect Day, a startup that I've been following out of curiosity more than anything else (and I know a few of the engineers involved), now has Vegan products, including Ice Cream, out in stores.

Basically, this company, through fermentation methods that have existed for years, has grown milk proteins in a lab that are lactose free and animal cruelty free (they just needed some dairy DNA to start). So no veal, no cruelty of dairy farms, but this is supposed to taste identical to real dairy.

They are out in stores already as "Brave Robot" ice cream. Just wondering if vegans on here would get on board with that or still stick with plant based foods. My wife can't do cow dairy, even if it's lactose free, so I'll likely stick to the non-dairy versions.

Well if it has real cow milk DNA it isnt vegan though. I'm not vegan. But. That would not fall into a vegan category. Some cow at some point was milked for that DNA.

Edit: after reading some of these comments I feel very uneducated... soooo ignore me.

LOL, you're not. And I knew nothing about being Vegan until my daughter became vegetarian. It's a very contentious and controversial topic for many!
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,042 Member Member Posts: 24,042 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I think it's more accurate to say that many vegans would consider it not vegan, but there are possible approaches to vegan ethics that COULD consider it vegan.