Progress. Lifting. Pics. Lots of Them.

Options
da_bears10089
da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
I first have to say that I love reading threads about women stepping out of their comfort zone and stepping into the free weight area. It can be intimidating not knowing 100% what you should be doing, if you're doing it right and feeling like you look like an idiot. There. Got that out of the way.

Rewind to 2008. I went on a cruise in Alaska with my family and afterwards i stepped on the scale (which was really old, and I’m questioning its accuracy) and stared down at 173lbs. I was wearing size 14 jeans that were probably a little tighter on me than they should have been, so I'm thinking that i weighed more, but like i said, accuracy of that scale was questionable. I was 23, my son was almost a year old, and I had no idea how to lose weight the right way. I figured, eat as little as possible, and exercise as much as possible. This is me on the cruise.

309_43124492032_2791_n.jpg
704_41033861882_9772_n.jpg

So I started cutting calories and working out like my life depended on it. I did an estimate of how many calories I was taking in each day, and it was easily under 1000, but I was also spending 2+ hours a day doing cardio so how many calories I was netting scares me a little now that I think about it. I managed to lose 30 lbs in about 2-3 months. It was easy right away, but as time progressed, it took more and more to be able to see a loss on the scale.

216508_1064113968642_7172_n.jpg

I had surgery the following Feb. and wasn't able to exercise for a while. Because of the damage I had done to my metabolism, my body just stored EVERYTHING. The gradual (or not so gradual) weight gain began.

10332_162182082032_5842459_n.jpg

In Vegas. I was a little bit in denial about the weight i had been putting on. This was just over 6 months. I had been down to a size 4 jean, and I specifically remember getting ready to go out, and I ripped my size 7/8 jeans just trying to pull them up. And look at the start of that belly!

534964_10151885476162033_288513800_n.jpg

148457_1643784849000_7375451_n_zps2a99b586.jpg

Then I got pregnant with my 2nd son. I don't really have any pictures of me throughout that. Heck, I didn't even want my nurse to tell me my weight when I went in for my prenatal appointments. After I had my son, I didn't really get into losing weight until the end of March or beginning of April. I stepped on the scale at 195lbs. Yikes! That's when it kicked in. I then started MonaVie RVL system. I drank a shake for breakfast and lunch and then ate a reasonable dinner. I was taking in around 1200 calories and had finally signed up for MFP. I had lost about 20 lbs from watching what I ate and doing mostly TurboFire, Zumba or Cycle classes.

25145832_5392.jpg

^ bad picture.. I know but ehh.

ry480_zpsd69a3d6d.jpg

This was me at my sister's wedding in September of 2012 probably weighing around 172-175.

Then I started creeping around MFP forums. I read up on heavy lifting, BMR/TDEE, macros. The whole works. I decided that I was going to start doing Stronglifts 5x5 in February. Fell in love with the barbell. I just switched from doing that to doing Wendler 5/3/1 and I can already tell that I’m going to love that too. Here is a whole photo bomb of progress and stuff. Keep in mind, the above picture and the following pictures; there is ONLY A 10 LB DIFFERENCE.

25145832_8655.jpg
25145832_1773.jpg
25145832_3880.jpg
20130822_095707_zps400eff00.jpg
20130822_095725_zps98e1d833.jpg

Now I get the best compliments ever. "You have a nice deep squat" "With your squat form, you won't have to worry about working your calves at all" You get the idea. I try to stay around 1700-1800 calories per day and I have my carbs/protein/fat set to 40/30/30. If I have a bad day of eating, I don’t stress over it because it’s only 1 day.

I'm still a work in progress. I want to get leaner, and stronger, and awesome-er.

tl;dr version - I got fat, got skinny, got fat again and now getting fit.

Replies

• HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Keep up the great work!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A+ story, 10/10, would read again.

Being told you have a nice deep squat is the best of compliments, and its stories like this that make me believe there will never be enough lady lifting threads. If even one woman is inspired by one thread and ends up being as awesome as you or any of the other ladies here its worth beating that horse.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress! Thank you for posting!!!

I just joined a gym again and definitely need to start lifting. Husband is deploying for a year soon and want to be fit when he gets home. We are hoping to do a two week long hike along the AT!!!
  • sunnybear39
    sunnybear39 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! you look amazing and are a real inspiration!
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is so great!! Happy to have you as a new friend--because you ROCK!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Keep up the good work!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    amazing work, well done.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Most awesome!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great achievement so far, thanks for sharing, very motivating :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I did a cruise (and land tour by train) of Alaska a few years ago too. I loved it! So much beauty in the nature up there.

And congrats on your achievement! I was the only girl in the free weights this morning (granted it was 6am) but I was happy to be there. You are very motivating.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!! I LOVE fellow ladies who lift! Keep on kickin butt!!!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! Years younger and glowing. :-) Well done.
  • da_bears10089
    Options
    A+ story, 10/10, would read again.

Being told you have a nice deep squat is the best of compliments, and its stories like this that make me believe there will never be enough lady lifting threads. If even one woman is inspired by one thread and ends up being as awesome as you or any of the other ladies here its worth beating that horse.

i luff you!
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Now I get the best compliments ever. "You have a nice deep squat" "With your squat form, you won't have to worry about working your calves at all" You get the idea. I try to stay around 1700-1800 calories per day and I have my carbs/protein/fat set to 40/30/30. If I have a bad day of eating, I don’t stress over it because it’s only 1 day.

I'm still a work in progress. I want to get leaner, and stronger, and awesome-er.

I love this last part. I wish more people would have your attitude about food. And yes, compliments about your squats are the best compliments. Congrats on your success!
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You look amazing and have a kick-*kitten* attitude!
  • da_bears10089
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    1) you look phenom
    2) that sleeve is badass
    3) I'm jelly of your significant other

carry on
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    yay! you make me so happy! you are rockin the fit look/feel/life, lady!!!! keep at it....xoxoxoxo.

do you even lift, girl? ;)
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You look great! I'm so glad to hear you got off the weight loss yo-yo train and are doing this the healthy way. Welcome to the cult of Iron!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think you look AMAZING!!! Keep up the great work!!! :flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    lookin badass!! awesome job OP! keep on killin it!

edit because spelling derp
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!