Gym or home gym.

Options
13»

Replies

• M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have access to a premier health club with just about everything you could want in a gym for free, however, I prefer my gym at home. I will occasionally train at the club, but my home digs is exactly what I need - and safer.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just wanna rant about the people selling exercise equipment right now for crazy high prices since everywhere is sold out. Supply and demand, I get it...but most people are just being ridiculous. $500 for some crappy old bench they got from SEARS in the 90's and they remembered they had it in storage. I wanna smack some of these people. Ok, maybe I'd do the same. Still makes me mad lol

Yeah, I've been looking around for my daughter and equipment I used to sell at Academy (let's call it a 60" barbell with 2 dumbbell handles and 85lbs of 1" cast-iron weights included) is either impossible to find or sold by arsehats online for 3-4 times the pre-covod store price. No thank you.

Yeah, I get there's high demand but selling a rusty old set of 75# dumbells for $300 is just being a d*ck.

A: the seller should de rust those (super easy to do; soak them in citric acid)
    B: supply and demand, as long as there are people willing to pay that much, that is what they shall cost
    C: not everyone sells that high; I usually sell them at around 1.50-1.60 a lb; the exception being some sweet Hamptons that I have at $3 a lb. If I had or could find a full set of those, I would keep them. I only have a few random pairs for sale and even at $3 lb, I’m selling them cheaper than they go for new
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I used to love gym time! I looked forward to that hour and a half away from the fam but I didn’t like all the dilly dally I did leading up to it, trying to fit it in. I turned back to running and doing ab routines ( chloe ting anyone??) and jump rope!!! I honestly can’t see myself going back to the gym at this point now that I see how much easier this is.
  • Coopjitsu10P
    Coopjitsu10P Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was in the gym as soon as it opened.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I'm slowly getting everything I want at home. I have amazing cardio equipment -- a C2 rower, an AD Pro (Assault) Bike, a LateralX (a lateral elliptical). When I pay off the LateralX in a few months, I'll likely get a Peloton Tread.

For weights, I have heavy KBs, Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, and just got a Weider Total Gym knockoff for $150 from Walmart (I've used Total Gyms and bought this one for my stepson years ago -- it's better than most of the Total Gyms and for $150 it was a steal). I also have a Plyo Box as well and many, many elastic bands. Got a Stealth Plank Board too for fun.

I would like an Endless Rope Machine but I might settle for a SkiErg down the road. I also need a good weight bench and I agree with @IronIsMyTherapy that benches are being sold ridiculously high. I have the money to get one at the current prices but I refuse. I'll get one when this all settles down and there are 100s of them online used when people go back to gyms.
    I'm slowly getting everything I want at home. I have amazing cardio equipment -- a C2 rower, an AD Pro (Assault) Bike, a LateralX (a lateral elliptical). When I pay off the LateralX in a few months, I'll likely get a Peloton Tread.

For weights, I have heavy KBs, Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, and just got a Weider Total Gym knockoff for $150 from Walmart (I've used Total Gyms and bought this one for my stepson years ago -- it's better than most of the Total Gyms and for $150 it was a steal). I also have a Plyo Box as well and many, many elastic bands. Got a Stealth Plank Board too for fun.

I would like an Endless Rope Machine but I might settle for a SkiErg down the road. I also need a good weight bench and I agree with @IronIsMyTherapy that benches are being sold ridiculously high. I have the money to get one at the current prices but I refuse. I'll get one when this all settles down and there are 100s of them online used when people go back to gyms.

Exactly. I plan to get a rack, deadlift platform, full set of 5#-125# dumbells and a few other goodies once stock is replenished. I'm not gonna be gouged for some old stuff now.

You are aware that used gym equipment isn’t worse than new? And it’s still way cheaper. I would rather used commercial equipment any day than some new garbage from TDS or Weider lol

You mean ripped, rusty, outdated, and low quality can't qualify as worse? And no, it's not way cheaper. People are selling crappy, beat up stuff for more than a current brand new one is just because nothing is in stock. I don't recall specifying commercial vs Weider but I'd agree.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Exactly. I plan to get a rack, deadlift platform, full set of 5#-125# dumbells and a few other goodies once stock is replenished. I'm not gonna be gouged for some old stuff now.

You are aware that used gym equipment isn’t worse than new? And it’s still way cheaper. I would rather used commercial equipment any day than some new garbage from TDS or Weider lol

You mean ripped, rusty, outdated, and low quality can't qualify as worse? And no, it's not way cheaper. People are selling crappy, beat up stuff for more than a current brand new one is just because nothing is in stock. I don't recall specifying commercial vs Weider but I'd agree.

How is used commercial equipment low quality? How is a 25 year old commercial fly machine any different than one made 3 years ago? I would argue that buying used commercial is better than new as they used higher quality steel years ago. Plus many of the commercial brands now outsource to China so you get a thinner gauge steel PLUS cheaply made components. And don’t buy used with ripped pads or if you do (often a better deal) get them reupholstered.

And no, again not everyone is charging more than new. Back in March/April in the US, yes used prices had a large surge. Used prices are currently dropping again as some of the demand is wearing off.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Actually, most used stuff is still priced too high. Most new equipment is still out of stock. I'm still waiting on the barbell ordered 10 weeks ago.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Actually, most used stuff is still priced too high. Most new equipment is still out of stock. I'm still waiting on the barbell ordered 10 weeks ago.

You just have to shop around and you can still find good prices on used. You just have to be patient and know where to look.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    edited September 2020
    Options

How is used commercial equipment low quality? How is a 25 year old commercial fly machine any different than one made 3 years ago? I would argue that buying used commercial is better than new as they used higher quality steel years ago. Plus many of the commercial brands now outsource to China so you get a thinner gauge steel PLUS cheaply made components. And don’t buy used with ripped pads or if you do (often a better deal) get them reupholstered.

And no, again not everyone is charging more than new. Back in March/April in the US, yes used prices had a large surge. Used prices are currently dropping again as some of the demand is wearing off.

I never referred to commercial, you introduced tha as a comparison I wasn't making. I'm talking about people digging crap out of storage and gouging for it. You are literally creating an argument that didnt exist. I'm not sure where you live but demand nor prices are decreasing where I am. Happy to pay $2/lb for a full set of commercial dumbells, sounds like you have the hookup so let me know where to send the $.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

I never referred to commercial, you introduced tha as a comparison I wasn't making. I'm talking about people digging crap out of storage and gouging for it. You are literally creating an argument that didnt exist. I'm not sure where you live but demand nor prices are decreasing where I am. Happy to pay $2/lb for a full set of commercial dumbells, sounds like you have the hookup so let me know where to send the $.

Lol I’m in northeast pa. My husband and I buy out small gyms that are closing and physical fitness studios; that sort of thing.

I sell commercial and junk. Obviously the junk is much cheaper than the commercial.

I see people who have no clue selling commercial pieces for thousands of dollars (and I’m not talking commercial FT’s, I’m talking like a BENCH or a leg curl) and then selling urethane dumbbells for like 1.50 lb. I’m always like “I’ll drop everything and come get those dumbbells now”. Usually, though they’re already gone.

I’ve been buying and selling used gym equipment for a few years, so not one of the “oh covid, maybe someone wants to pay me $50 for an old jump rope” people. 😜
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    Options

Lol I’m in northeast pa. My husband and I buy out small gyms that are closing and physical fitness studios; that sort of thing.

I sell commercial and junk. Obviously the junk is much cheaper than the commercial.

I see people who have no clue selling commercial pieces for thousands of dollars (and I’m not talking commercial FT’s, I’m talking like a BENCH or a leg curl) and then selling urethane dumbbells for like 1.50 lb. I’m always like “I’ll drop everything and come get those dumbbells now”. Usually, though they’re already gone.

I’ve been buying and selling used gym equipment for a few years, so not one of the “oh covid, maybe someone wants to pay me $50 for an old jump rope” people. 😜

I was, and still am, talking about the "oh covid, maybe someone wants to pay me $50 for am old jump rope" people.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

I was, and still am, talking about the "oh covid, maybe someone wants to pay me $50 for am old jump rope" people.

With covid we all get lumped together now. People who know what they are shopping for still tell me “oh I keep an eye on what you’re selling because your prices are reasonable”.

I sold some vintage York dumbbells when this first started and people kept messaging me “I don’t care that they are collectible I just want to lift, sell them to me cheap.” That’s like messaging someone selling a collectible corvette and saying you just need an a to b car so they should sell cheap to you lol.

I can’t wait for the clueless sellers who are hurting the market (and the reputation of those of us trying to make a living) to go back to their day jobs 😜
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

You just have to shop around and you can still find good prices on used. You just have to be patient and know where to look.

Not in my area. If it's cheap, it's junk equipment.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Not in my area. If it's cheap, it's junk equipment.

I promise you, in all areas, but patience is key. Anything that’s cheap and ISNT junk sells super fast. Like minutes after it’s listed fast.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    if you find good quality commercial equipment for a good price, it can be worth reupholstering it.