Poop

Options
2»

Replies

• tushitatravellogue
    Options
    I'm really glad I opened this thread, lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone :)

Definitely.. lot of learning for me too. :#
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great!

Looking at my diet I reckon the missing fat might be just what I need. I'll be getting myself some smoked salmon for lunch tomorrow and I'll try to find ghee somewhere too (no, won't be making it myself!).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Seconding the fats recommendation.

Often, when starting calorie counting, people increase fiber (more veggies & such) but decrease fats (because fat is calorie dense). That's a good recipe for causing constipation.

Usually, something in the range of 0.35 0.45g per pound of bodyweight daily is sufficient

Avocado, nuts, nut butter, seeds, olive oil . . .

Very insightful ... Now I realise it's the same funda with using ghee or plain homemade butter (from cream)... They both increase the fat content ..

Yup. But most people get enough saturated fats, not enough MUFA/PUFA; and enough Omega 6s but not enough Omega 3s. So, yeah, for the constipation-avoidance purpose, fatty meats, butter, cheese, cream, etc., would work, and also some other benefits. The list I gave was just intending to recommend what would be a more nutrition-balancing set of choices for the average person. Saturated fats or Omega 6s are not The Devil, but many people choose them disproportionately, so not optimum balance.

Should've added fatty cold-water fish to the recommendation list, I'm realizing - I tend to forget it because I'm vegetarian.

Ok now I get the complete picture.. I need to go back and check at my omega 3-omega 6 balance.. am a vegetarian and now I have a feeling am mostly having only saturated fat ..

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation ☺️

Mostly, and oversimplifying things, the issue with O-6/O-3 balance is that a lot of oils used in commercial prepared foods are higher in O-6s, and some people use those same oils at home (safflower, sunflower, corn, soybean oils, canola, among others). O-6s are beneficial in the abstract, but many people get too few O-3s relative to O-6s.

That can be particularly an issue for vegetarians, since fatty fish (fish oil) is one of the most commonly-recommended O-3 sources. There are O-3s in some plant foods, but not necessarily the most useful sub-types. Personally, that's one thing for which I take a supplement (algae based DHA).

Info:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Omega3FattyAcids-HealthProfessional/
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    How has your diet changed since this started? Constipation is typically due to low fiber. In the past, whenever my trainers recommended me to eat more protein, I had this problem. I switched to a mostly plant based diet and havent had any problems since. Try chia seeds, 2 tbsp daily. That really helps!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier but it seems to have vanished into the ether, so apologies if it ends up as a duplicate.

I was wondering about your coffee intake. My understanding is that coffee is a diuretic so depending on how big your cups are you could be cancelling out a good proportion of the water you are drinking with the coffee.

Fats makes sense to me as well though. I have just had a low fat day and promptly things start to block up.
  • jaxxeemom
    jaxxeemom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello! I go through this often. I feel like every day or every other day I’m adding Benefibre supplement to my water, tea, coffee etc or eating 2 prunes as a snack if I’m feeling hungry or as a substitute for a sugar hit.
    I’m trying to lose weight so have cut down on carbs, but I do have good yoghurt with nuts and seeds (paleo mix) a couple times a week. Also must drink at least 2 litres of water a day. :)
    Veggies and fruit helps but I’m trying to avoid the sugar in fruit. Avoid pizza or pastries! 😁
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Oh I sympathise. I've been there and it's so uncomfortable. Some people find that fizzy (carbonated) water helps more than still water in this situation. Rather than a fibre supplement, how about eating actual fibre, such as oat bran, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, fruits and vegetables? Have you tried probiotic yoghurt? (That really helps me.) Are you getting some exercise? Walking can help to get things moving. Good luck!

Thank you! As I was reading this I had the thought that for a good stretch I was daily but this week I noticed that it was more once every 2-3 days and the only real change in my diet is that I've been eating yogurt every 2-3 days instead of daily like I have been doing for the last several months. And I love my daily fruit and yogurt (had the fruit on it's own instead lately) so I will be going back to it starting today!!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Another little thing to point out is that if you suddenly increased the amount of fibre this can bung you up (and make you farty). If you're already getting enough fibre from your food, it might be helpful to reduce/remove the fibre supplements.

Also you can set up your diary to show fibre, I personally track fibre and I find that very helpful to be able to see it.

But yes, another hand up for fats. It's good for making thing more ... comfortable.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier but it seems to have vanished into the ether, so apologies if it ends up as a duplicate.

I was wondering about your coffee intake. My understanding is that coffee is a diuretic so depending on how big your cups are you could be cancelling out a good proportion of the water you are drinking with the coffee.

Fats makes sense to me as well though. I have just had a low fat day and promptly things start to block up.

This is not really a problem - there is more than enough water in the coffee to cancel out any diuretic effects of the caffeine (caffeine is a VERY mild diuretic).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

This is not really a problem - there is more than enough water in the coffee to cancel out any diuretic effects of the caffeine (caffeine is a VERY mild diuretic).

I disagree. One cup will have peeing three times per hour and I know many others who are the same. 5-7 cups per day is excessive.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's answer but sometimes a bulletproof coffee makes a big difference. Too much fibre can actually bulk things up too much as well so just keep an eye on that. But ya - I find a coffee with a tbsp of coconut or MCT oil does the trick.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate supplements might help, along with this adjustment in fat consumption.