Poop

There. I said it.

I've been suffering with tummy troubles for the last 2-3 weeks. I just can't go.
I've started taking fiber supplements 3 times a day and upped my water intake (2 litres a day, plus my coffees and teas. I don't log no-calorie drinks should you check my food diary).
I've even resorted to a laxative tablet 3 times, which works a dream. But obviously that's not the answer.

What else can I do? Should I just ride this out, as it's only about a month since I'm back here and I've cut out a lot of sugar/crappy snacks.
It's not quite bad enough for me to go to a doctor yet.

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Oh I sympathise. I've been there and it's so uncomfortable. Some people find that fizzy (carbonated) water helps more than still water in this situation. Rather than a fibre supplement, how about eating actual fibre, such as oat bran, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, fruits and vegetables? Have you tried probiotic yoghurt? (That really helps me.) Are you getting some exercise? Walking can help to get things moving. Good luck!
  • tushitatravellogue
    tushitatravellogue Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2020
    I agree with @charmmeth

In addition my personal experience -

The best Ayurvedic remedy that has worked for me is having a spoonful of ghee with hot water or hot milk as the last meal of the day...
    Prunes have also helped me a lot...
    Also one spoon of soaked sabja seeds provides 6g fiber without adding much to your carbs count...

Apart from this, you can try the complete squat pose from yoga, that helps too.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Thanks. Yes it's annoying! I think my diet is fairly okay. I'm eating fruit and veg. Didn't think of seeds and I actually have a bag of "super seed mix", so will add that to my yogurt, thanks. I do plenty of walking and exercise.

Never heard of fizzy water, worth the try! I was also thinking maybe prune juice of something.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    Prune juice, yes: it works, but I just really dislike it. :( Stewed apple with yoghurt tastes better in my view and helped me. (Just chop up a couple of apples and put them in a couple of tablespoons of water in a saucepan. Heat gently to 15-20 minutes to mush it down a bit; great with yoghurt. You can add raisins too.) Cranberry juice is good for UTIs and I sometimes wonder if it is effective for the gut too.

Also, do you know the book by Claudia Enders? It's very enlightening as to the position that is most effective to get things moving (yoga squats are exactly right).

It's here: https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Gut-by-Giulia-Enders-David-Shaw-translator/9781925228601.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    edited September 2020
    I checked your profile as I wondered if it might be hormonal. Peri menopause is notorious for causing gastric issues. Maybe you've got that joy coming up!
  • LunaTheFatCat
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I checked your profile as I wondered if it might be hormonal. Peri menopause is notorious for causing gastric issues. Maybe you've got that joy coming up!

Nooooooooooo! I refuse to believe that! :D
  • LunaTheFatCat
    edited September 2020
    Thanks @charmmeth and @tushitatravellogue I'll check that out too!
  • I like to eat prunes directly and it works fine..
    Prune juice worked wonders for me baby when he had constipation around 6 months mark, at the start of solids.. and it really did solve the problem for him ..
  • SnifterPug wrote: »

Nooooooooooo! I refuse to believe that! :D

Haha .. looks like hormones never stop bothering women :wink:
  • purpleyoshi1
    purpleyoshi1 Posts: 1 Member
    I've had the same problem for over a year now. Will ddfinitely try some of these.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Are you hydrated?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I have a sensitive system. I found a YouTube search for anti bloating workout, found a yoga routine that helped relieve some tummy issues.

But i find coffee works a treat. Lots of water and fruits and veggies.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    @IronIsMyTherapy I drink 5-7 cups of black coffee during the day and 1-3 cups of earl grey in the evening. In addition 2 litres of water. I really think that should be plenty.

Thanks @AliNouveau the yoga is mentioned a few times, I'll definitely look that up. I actually only recently started taking yoga classes in addition to my normal workouts and to my own surprise I enjoy it.
  • Tats great.. pls do discuss with your instructor about the relevant poses you can practice..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    Seconding the fats recommendation.

Often, when starting calorie counting, people increase fiber (more veggies & such) but decrease fats (because fat is calorie dense). That's a good recipe for causing constipation.

Usually, something in the range of 0.35 0.45g per pound of bodyweight daily is sufficient

Avocado, nuts, nut butter, seeds, olive oil . . .
  • LunaTheFatCat
    I'm really glad I opened this thread, lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone :)
  • AnnPT77 wrote: »

Often, when starting calorie counting, people increase fiber (more veggies & such) but decrease fats (because fat is calorie dense). That's a good recipe for causing constipation.

Usually, something in the range of 0.35 0.45g per pound of bodyweight daily is sufficient

Very insightful ... Now I realise it's the same funda with using ghee or plain homemade butter (from cream)... They both increase the fat content ..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Very insightful ... Now I realise it's the same funda with using ghee or plain homemade butter (from cream)... They both increase the fat content ..

Yup. But most people get enough saturated fats, not enough MUFA/PUFA; and enough Omega 6s but not enough Omega 3s. So, yeah, for the constipation-avoidance purpose, fatty meats, butter, cheese, cream, etc., would work, and also some other benefits. The list I gave was just intending to recommend what would be a more nutrition-balancing set of choices for the average person. Saturated fats or Omega 6s are not The Devil, but many people choose them disproportionately, so not optimum balance.

Should've added fatty cold-water fish to the recommendation list, I'm realizing - I tend to forget it because I'm vegetarian.
  • AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yup. But most people get enough saturated fats, not enough MUFA/PUFA; and enough Omega 6s but not enough Omega 3s. So, yeah, for the constipation-avoidance purpose, fatty meats, butter, cheese, cream, etc., would work, and also some other benefits. The list I gave was just intending to recommend what would be a more nutrition-balancing set of choices for the average person. Saturated fats or Omega 6s are not The Devil, but many people choose them disproportionately, so not optimum balance.

Should've added fatty cold-water fish to the recommendation list, I'm realizing - I tend to forget it because I'm vegetarian.

Ok now I get the complete picture.. I need to go back and check at my omega 3-omega 6 balance.. am a vegetarian and now I have a feeling am mostly having only saturated fat ..

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation ☺️