Where to buy dumbbells? They're hotter than toilet paper!

Options
I'm looking to buy light dumbbells. I've seen a great set on Amazon of 3, 5, & 8 lbs, affordable but out of stock. There are similar sets available but they cost 3 times as much. I could buy each set individually but again, more expensive.

Went to Big 5 a couple of months ago and they said that on shipment day people are lining up around the block at 7am for weights.

Happy to see so many people working out at home, just frustrated.

Is there a secret website where things are still in stock? TY.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Not new, but let go, offer up, Facebook marketplace, eBay etc for used gym equipment. Typically (avoid rip off prices) still cheaper than new and just as effective.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I know you are looking for light weights, but I wound up buying loadable dumbells from Titan Fitness. They are 12lbs, and you can add weight as needed.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    the othrr thing you could do in lieu of weights is water bottles or something equivalent to the erights you are looking for, at least until you can get your hands on some. I had some from years ago, but I think I've seen them coming and going at Target recently.
    Also been noticing how bicycles are insanely hard to find too. I guess that's not a bad thing, though, if more people are choosing to work on fitness and well being.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I would like to add a couple of 8 pounders, but finding is not happening. I was in Walmart the other day and they had a set of 25 or 30 pounders and all else was EMPTY. I picked up a set of resistance bands. But going to return them, as I ordered today a set on Amazon for $5 more than comes with more bands (can be used together to form varying degrees of resistance) and door/ankle attachments. The Walmart set was just bands.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I got my dumbbells at Dick's Sporting Goods and they seem to be in stock there, with some quantity limitations you could work around by putting in multiple orders, maybe spaced out a day. The hex ones - they're pretty good. No complaints.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fitness-gear-cast-hex-dumbbell-various-weights-16fgeu10lbcsthxdmdmb/16fgeu10lbcsthxdmdmb

I know that in the store they had a huge inventory of the traditional 3, 5, 8 lb'ers.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    A Canadian Tire near me recently got a shipment CAP neoprene covered 4, 6 and 8 pound dumbbells. I just checked their site and they still have 190 4lb and 18 6lb. Store is SHEPPARD AVE., ON 1019 Sheppard Avenue East Toronto, ON M2K 1C2
    I got a dumbbell set at Costco just before the Covid lock down.
    I got BodyLastics resistance bands on amazon.

Getting weights has become difficult. Consider using heavy objects like cast iron pans.

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    They have started to become available again here in Germany: I managed to buy a set of 3kg, 4kg and 5kg (6.6lbs, 8.8 lbs, 9 lbs) and also some 2.5 kg as I found the jumps from 2kg to 3kg too much for some exercises. Hansson sports have them but I think they may only be here in Germany.