Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

12346

Replies

  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 773 Member Member Posts: 773 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    And here the bulk will end. I am out on a severe back injury for 4-6 weeks. Will focus on high protein and just eating when I am hungry, intuitive maintenance i guess.

    I am just coming out of recovery from a back injury. I chose not to record my food as I did not want the helpless feeling of no control with exercise. I chose to eat healthy at a surplus for aiding recovery and only step on the scale to know what is happening.

    Oh interesting approach!! I just don’t want to gain fat and am sticking w healthy choices but I didn’t consider just stopping tracking!
  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 868 Member Member Posts: 868 Member
    In the end I gained 5 lbs over 3 months but I was very lean when I stopped tracking.
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,754 Member Member Posts: 1,754 Member
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,754 Member Member Posts: 1,754 Member
    Just hit day 90 and my 10pt trailing average weight is up 4.3 lbs, so 1.43 lbs/month. That's a higher rate than I was originally planning (+1lb/month) but it's been harder than I anticipated to strike the intake balance between a small surplus and eat-all-the-things. As the graph shows I had a few low days on the scale mid-October and may have over-corrected to get back on the plus side but the r^2 value for linear fit is improving, which I'm taking as a good sign. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good, though this weekend was a little more active than usual with some fall yard work and I'm feeling that lack of recovery in my workouts this week.

    ve9dmo2m6bbw.png
  • tiacavieltiacaviel Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    I'm trying to bulk at the moment and hit all my macros but it's my first time and not sure I'm doing that well, doesn't help that gyms are closed so resistance bands is the best I've got right now any advice would be fantastic. Currently trying to hit 2,100 calories with roughly 120g of protein, I drink 2 protein shakes a day as I don't have much time to eat whist at work, have an active job with lots of walking involved and not doing any other cardio. Any tips or advice I'd be really grateful for.
  • billkansasbillkansas Member Posts: 252 Member Member Posts: 252 Member
    My poorly run, amateur, not-so-sure-I-gained-much-muscle bulk is about to come to an end after months and gaining 40 lbs. I'm fatter than I've ever been and perhaps slightly stronger. Well, it's been fun but I'm back to monitoring my macros more closely and after testing some 1 rep maxes should be back to cutting in the near future. The good news is my wife says I look better than ever so at least I retain my fat in good places. The next cut is going to be brutal though because I've become so spoiled.... sorry honey, Daddy's got to get skinny again lol.
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,754 Member Member Posts: 1,754 Member
    tiacaviel wrote: »
    I'm trying to bulk at the moment and hit all my macros but it's my first time and not sure I'm doing that well, doesn't help that gyms are closed so resistance bands is the best I've got right now any advice would be fantastic. Currently trying to hit 2,100 calories with roughly 120g of protein, I drink 2 protein shakes a day as I don't have much time to eat whist at work, have an active job with lots of walking involved and not doing any other cardio. Any tips or advice I'd be really grateful for.

    @tiacaviel, regarding bands vs. weights; you can still get plenty of stimuli, provided you're able to incorporate some progressive overload, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

    As far as your calories are concerned, it's hard to provide any definitive insight without knowing your starting stats, though on the face of it 2100 cal/day seems a little low for someone with an active job and thus may be insufficient to get you into a surplus. Same with the protein, if 120g is at least 0.8 g/lb of body weight you're probably in good shape there; ideally that'd be spread throughout the day but the total number is more important than the timing.
  • IJP2019IJP2019 Member Posts: 23 Member Member Posts: 23 Member
    tiacaviel wrote: »
    I'm trying to bulk at the moment and hit all my macros but it's my first time and not sure I'm doing that well, doesn't help that gyms are closed so resistance bands is the best I've got right now any advice would be fantastic. Currently trying to hit 2,100 calories with roughly 120g of protein, I drink 2 protein shakes a day as I don't have much time to eat whist at work, have an active job with lots of walking involved and not doing any other cardio. Any tips or advice I'd be really grateful for.

    I have used resistance bands exclusively for the past 2 years. In combination with a door anchor, a bar bell, and an adjustable bench, I can mimic near anything that I want. I am not talking thin tube style bands, these are very thick and offer significant resistance, especially if you get a couple of sets and double, triple up the large bands for things like squats, deadlifts, bench press, lat pulldowns, overhead press, barbell row, etc..the options are endless.....I have built more muscle than I have ever had using bands...I am not saying that I couldn’t do this with weights, just saying that its pretty clear to me that muscles don’t know the difference between bands and weights....they only know resistance. If you provide enough resistance, muscle will build.

  • IJP2019IJP2019 Member Posts: 23 Member Member Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 11
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,772 Member Member Posts: 9,772 Member
    tiacaviel wrote: »
    I'm trying to bulk at the moment and hit all my macros but it's my first time and not sure I'm doing that well, doesn't help that gyms are closed so resistance bands is the best I've got right now any advice would be fantastic. Currently trying to hit 2,100 calories with roughly 120g of protein, I drink 2 protein shakes a day as I don't have much time to eat whist at work, have an active job with lots of walking involved and not doing any other cardio. Any tips or advice I'd be really grateful for.

    @tiacaviel do you meal prep? I would start to prep easy calorie dense snacks if you can and have things on hand when you are in the car or when you do eat. Or even when you get home. Granola, trail mix, roasted nuts, crackers and cheese, bagels with salmon, prep chicken then just boil some pasta to go with it, you can use the chicken in tacos or sandwiches. Prep curries/sauces portion them then freeze and you can add it to any protein/carb/vegetable dish. Of course there are also smoothies so adding more calories to your protein shakes can help .
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,772 Member Member Posts: 9,772 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    My poorly run, amateur, not-so-sure-I-gained-much-muscle bulk is about to come to an end after months and gaining 40 lbs. I'm fatter than I've ever been and perhaps slightly stronger. Well, it's been fun but I'm back to monitoring my macros more closely and after testing some 1 rep maxes should be back to cutting in the near future. The good news is my wife says I look better than ever so at least I retain my fat in good places. The next cut is going to be brutal though because I've become so spoiled.... sorry honey, Daddy's got to get skinny again lol.

    @billkansas
    Good luck!
    And you don't have to get skinny again, muscular and shredded this time ;)
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,772 Member Member Posts: 9,772 Member
    My bulk is going alright. A bit of a jump lately due to ploughing some food over the weekend.

    pbcbu59q3t0r.jpg

    I look the same since it's still early and I'm going so slow. I think the glutes are popping a bit more probably since I'm retaining more water from all the carbos. Nothing to get too excited about

    Trying to tone down the growth of the quads and hammies this time so we'll see how well that goes. I'm taking some risks and cutting out a lot of exercises but it's fun to experiment and see where things go.
    That's what it's all about :)
  • senalay788senalay788 Member Posts: 257 Member Member Posts: 257 Member
    Whether I like it not, I will be doing a bulk starting monday, that is for sure. I am having a knee surgery and will be out of doing any kind of activity, bored at home, not moving much for a month. This will be a test.
  • lukejoycePTlukejoycePT Member, Premium Posts: 161 Member Member, Premium Posts: 161 Member
    i'm trying to do more of a recomp this time round. i gained way too much fat last time, i did however add quite a lot of strength, but low and behold the moment i cut i lost all that strength again. I'm just increasing calories if and when my strength gains stall. Right now i'm actually eating just under MFP calorie Maintenance goal. Still getting stronger each week.
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,754 Member Member Posts: 1,754 Member
    14 Weeks in the books and I'm up 5 lbs by trend weight. Interestingly, my total intake has been requisite to a slightly higher gain and for the last month I've averaged ~300/day over TDEE. I'm going to make an effort to dial that back as it seems high given my training age.

    I hope all are doing well. Both Ohio and Kentucky reinstated some COVID restrictions but stopped short of lockdown 2.0. It's looking like it'll just be the three of us for Thanksgiving next week too.
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,772 Member Member Posts: 9,772 Member
    I can't wait to get out of this temp home gym and into our new (much larger) gym. I even have a hip thruster which hadn't been put together yet so very exciting!! I'll post pics when it's all set up.

    I'll probably bulk until March and see where I stand. I am getting there. Progress. :)

    f7rtfpcai16i.jpg
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,754 Member Member Posts: 1,754 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I can't wait to get out of this temp home gym and into our new (much larger) gym. I even have a hip thruster which hadn't been put together yet so very exciting!! I'll post pics when it's all set up.

    I'll probably bulk until March and see where I stand. I am getting there. Progress. :)

    f7rtfpcai16i.jpg

    I'm very curious about the hip thruster. I finally got the Mrs. to start lifting again as cross-training for her running habit. Used StrongCurves as a loose template and adjusted for our equipment and her skill/preferences but it does have her doing hip thrusts; which right now is just with a dumbbell.
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,772 Member Member Posts: 9,772 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I can't wait to get out of this temp home gym and into our new (much larger) gym. I even have a hip thruster which hadn't been put together yet so very exciting!! I'll post pics when it's all set up.

    I'll probably bulk until March and see where I stand. I am getting there. Progress. :)

    f7rtfpcai16i.jpg

    I'm very curious about the hip thruster. I finally got the Mrs. to start lifting again as cross-training for her running habit. Used StrongCurves as a loose template and adjusted for our equipment and her skill/preferences but it does have her doing hip thrusts; which right now is just with a dumbbell.

    I've always used a bench. I have a regular and shorter one (which is easier for sure) but my bench always slides back plus I wanted to attach bands so the Hip Thruster was a great solution. I'll let you know how it is! There is a small more compact option Bret sells too, Hip Thruster Lite
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,754 Member Member Posts: 1,754 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I can't wait to get out of this temp home gym and into our new (much larger) gym. I even have a hip thruster which hadn't been put together yet so very exciting!! I'll post pics when it's all set up.

    I'll probably bulk until March and see where I stand. I am getting there. Progress. :)

    f7rtfpcai16i.jpg

    I'm very curious about the hip thruster. I finally got the Mrs. to start lifting again as cross-training for her running habit. Used StrongCurves as a loose template and adjusted for our equipment and her skill/preferences but it does have her doing hip thrusts; which right now is just with a dumbbell.

    I've always used a bench. I have a regular and shorter one (which is easier for sure) but my bench always slides back plus I wanted to attach bands so the Hip Thruster was a great solution. I'll let you know how it is! There is a small more compact option Bret sells too, Hip Thruster Lite

    I didn't realize Bret had gotten into equipment until I googled out of curiosity; both models look intriguing.

    Our flat bench is the preferred one for hip thrusts as it's a little shorter, has a thicker pad, and weighs like 85 lbs. The adjustable bench doesn't have any grip covering on the feet so will have the same sliding issue if not on the rubber flooring, which is mostly occupied the majority of the time. If the lite had wheels to move it around I'd probably have already gone ahead and ordered one.
Sign In or Register to comment.