Debating to get fitbit

Options
124»

Replies

• Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Is it true that the flex counts when you move your hands? I move my hands a lot when working, while sitting.

Yes but not like typing movements. when you swing your arms.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Yes!. Got my Fitbit in March 2013 and still love it just as much, if not more, each week. My only regret is having to take it off while I shower.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I got one and it's cute, but it does nothing more for me than MFP does. For me it would have been much better if I'd saved up and gotten a good heart rate monitor instead rather than throwing down that $60. I don't even carry my Fitbit anymore, and I just got it in June! But I know some people do love them.

I don't have one, but I fully expect that your reaction would be mine if I did. Not to mention, I don't want to include all my standard daily walking in my burned calories amount - if my everyday walking around and doing things was getting me skinny, I'd already be skinny! Instead, I spent my cash on a decent heart rate monitor and track any physical activity that isn't a standard part of my day (whether it be cardio, strength training, playing a physical game with friends or with a Kinect, etc.) and use that info to figure out my exercise calories for the day.

That being said, i have a family friend who is IN LOVE with her Fitbit. And if something brings you joy (and isn't a bad thing), I say go for it (assuming you have the cash for such a thing).

^^ this.

I have the fitbit one & always remove the calories burned it adds to my exercises. I only count intentional exercise & for that I use my HRM. It was more useful to me when I first started & barely exercised. But like the person above said, if it works for you & helps you move, then go for it.
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it. Getting in the steps to burn off the calories has become kind of a game for me. What it does for me that MFP doesn't is give me step updates any time I care to check. With MFP, I have to sneak a moment to log everything during breaks at work. Plus I always know how far I am from doing just a little better than the day before.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    LOVE my FitBit! I'm on my 3rd one (bought the original 2 years ago, then upgraded to the Ultra, then the One). EXCELLENT customer service (they have been known quite often to replace lost devices, washed devices, etc).

In the last two years of wearing my FitBit, I have gotten 13 friends and family also wearing them. And I expect that number to keep rising.

Spend the extra money for the FitBit One. Haven't heard anyone liking the Zip.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a body media. it bigger than fitbit and you wear it on your arm but iam not worried I will lose it my firend lost her fitbit. Love the sync with my smartphone and seeing my activity level and sleep.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting one as it appeals to my geeky side.

But I'm a creature of habit and my main exercise is walking after work and I know how many steps that is because I used a freebie pedometer my wife was given from work.

I've also measure my other semi regular routes in Google Maps so that's a known.

Can't say I need the motivation because I love walking and have a routine that I have no intention of changing so I think I can live without one and put the $60 or so towards my preference for cheap comfortable shoes, which I wear out with impressive regularity.
  • chubber231
    chubber231 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! It motivates me to move just a little bit more, every day. I have the fitbit One and I check the display several times during the day, just to see how I'm doing. When I look at it and see how many steps I've taken, I challenge myself to get to the next 500 or 1,000 steps and by the end of the day I've gotten in my 10,000 steps and then some!
  • don3_16
    don3_16 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had my FitBit One since early July. I am a numbers kind of guy and it was eye-opening how little I move during a "normal" day sitting at a desk and going to meetings. It's not uncommon for me to get home after work with less than 3,000 steps. So now knowing the "numbers" I started doing the little things like parking at the farthest spot in the lot. Even if I bring my lunch, I will make it a point to walk to my car to get some steps in, and usually, if I'm walking the dog and I'm within range to hit my 10k for the day, I stay out a little longer to get there.

So, yes, if you're into numbers, and specifically your own numbers, get one. My wife and I both got our FitBits at the same time, and it's a great motivating tool.

My beef, however, with the FitBit is that I just don't trust the extra calories it gives me. So the way I treat the FitBit is to gauge activity level based on steps, and I ignore the calories it posts on MFP. Instead, if I went for a walk or did 30DS or rode my bike as a specific exercise, then I wear my HRM and log those calories separately and eat those back.

Anyone else question the FitBit calories posted on to MFP?
This discussion has been closed.