Lean protein and other foods

Options
Hello! I am a 205 pound male and am 6'2. I have a gut and am looking to lose some weight/ fat to show my abs and build lean muscle i run around 10 miles a week, do some 5ks and strength training 2 or 3 times. I just have a few nutritional questions!

1. What are some great lean protein foods. As well as fat burning foods? All the better if they can be easily microwaved/ prepared as I have long busy days?
2. whats a good calorie amount to aim for each meal and snack to help keep me full? I'd like to do less foods that give more.
3. What are healthy but great foods that will keep me energetic all day. Besides running I work in a warehouse and am on the move 8 to 10 hrs a day

THANKS!

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1. Turkey is high protein and low fat. There are no fat burning foods.
    2. It depends on your TDEE and your calorie limits.
    3. Food. it depends entirely on the diet you like to eat.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    My easy protein go-to’s include:

Grilled chicken breast
    Deli roast chicken or turkey slices
    Tilapia quickly browned in a dry pan with hot sauce
    Canned tuna
    Beef jerky
    Chicken sausage (Lidl has a particularly tasty kind that comes in several flavors for 80 cal per hotdog sized sausage). I always have a few cooked in the fridge for an easy breakfast, portable lunch, or afternoon snack.
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese with fruit
    Pork tenderloin is surprisingly low in calories and high in protein, can slice it into medallions throw a spoonful of BBQ or peanut sauce on top and throw it in an air crisper for 15 minutes. Yum.
    Some steaks are also low in calories (angus top round is 140/4oz)
    Shrimp: precooked, in the freezer, just run warm water over and voila! I have a shrimp feast at least once a month. A whole pound just for me!!!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    mlfen0778 wrote: »
    Hello! I am a 205 pound male and am 6'2. I have a gut and am looking to lose some weight/ fat to show my abs and build lean muscle i run around 10 miles a week, do some 5ks and strength training 2 or 3 times. I just have a few nutritional questions!

1. What are some great lean protein foods. As well as fat burning foods? All the better if they can be easily microwaved/ prepared as I have long busy days?

For protein, hatever they may be, they're near the top of the spreadsheet linked in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It lists many, many foods in order of protein/calorie efficiency, i.e., most protein for fewest calories.Find things you like on the list, that you think are easy to prep, and eat those.

There are no "fat burning foods". Caffeine has a tiny effect, but truly tiny. Just try to hit your calorie goal, feel full and happy, and get well-rounded nutrition. That'll work fine.
    2. whats a good calorie amount to aim for each meal and snack to help keep me full? I'd like to do less foods that give more.
    Use the MFP guided set-up to get a starting daily calorie goal, using a sensibly moderate weight loss rate. If your main goal is to increase muscle, either lose very slowly (half a pound a week) or (even slower, but better chances of muscle gain) eat at maintenance and use a good progressive strength training program to increase muscle at constant weight, while losing fat (called 'recomposition').

The MFP method asks you to set your activity level (in your profile) based on daily life before exericse, so consider your job and home life when you set that. Then, when you do your runs or lifting, log those and eat back at least a reasonable chunk of those calories too. If you don't want to do that, but want a standard consistent number of calories to eat every day, use an outside TDEE calculator to get an estimate that includes exercise, and set your MFP calorie goal manually.

I like this TDEE calculator for those who need one, as it has multiple research-based forumulas you can compare (or average), and more varied levels of activity (with clear descriptions) to choose from: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

After following the MFP calorie goal (or the one from a TDEE calculator) faithfully for 4-6 weeks, look at your average weight change per week. Adjust your calorie intake to get the sensible weight results you seek, using the assumption that a pound of fat represents approximately 3500 calories.

As far as timing of meals/snacks, that's an individualized thing. People do anything from one meal a day (OMAD) to all-day grazing, and many combinations of meals/snacks between those extremes. If you have an eating schedule that's working for you now, maybe start there and experiment with changes if you don't get the satiation/energy/happiness results you want. (Timing doesn't matter, when it comes to weight management results, unless it affects your energy level or causes unmanageable cravings.)
    3. What are healthy but great foods that will keep me energetic all day. Besides running I work in a warehouse and am on the move 8 to 10 hrs a day

Energy is somewhat individualized, but carbs are the generic energy source. For best nutrition (and especially for muscle gain) you need adequate protein, and you need adequate fat too, but filling in the rest of your calorie goal with carbs would probably be your best starting point as a bet on what will be energy-encouraging. After a some experience, adjust your goals (and/or eating schedule) to personalize.
    THANKS!

Bonus threads related to your questions:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If your goal is muscle gains while losing weight your focus should be on adequate protein .8-1.2g/lb of lbm, and a solid weight lifting program. I surmise from you saying you go 2-3 days that you aren't following a structured program. If not, i would get on one that is focused a bit more on hypertrophy and one that you enjoy.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1