Unexplained weight gain -- frustrating!

Options
2»

Replies

• yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This chart says a lot and helps prepare me for what is ahead.

Maybe I should just weigh in every 1st of the month or 30th of the month or something.

I just like seeing the results - it helps me stay on track and makes me want to keep going.

Weighing once per month may work for some, but it was a disaster for me, lol.

Are you using a trending app like Happy Scale? These smooth out the fluctuations. The important thing is not any individual weight, but the trend, or, if you use Happy Scale, that you are in the green.

+1 for a trend app or website. It's really an eye-opener, and allows to relativize the annoying spikes.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    yuko0407 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This chart says a lot and helps prepare me for what is ahead.

Maybe I should just weigh in every 1st of the month or 30th of the month or something.

I just like seeing the results - it helps me stay on track and makes me want to keep going.

Weighing once per month may work for some, but it was a disaster for me, lol.

Are you using a trending app like Happy Scale? These smooth out the fluctuations. The important thing is not any individual weight, but the trend, or, if you use Happy Scale, that you are in the green.

+1 for a trend app or website. It's really an eye-opener, and allows to relativize the annoying spikes.

Another +1 for trend apps/websites. I use trendweight and seriously, whenever I feel moody about my actual numbers I log onto there and see that my trend coming down and it makes me feel better. And yes, I do wish that my trend weight would catch up a bit with my actual weight, but when I have those days where it spikes up, I am so glad for that lagging value.

(btw I'm another daily weigher)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I also agree on the tracking your trends. I am a daily weigher (I like ot know where I am) but it is my graph and monthly averages that tell me what is going on below the daily ups and downs.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I will check out happy scale.

WHAT THINGS MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT (not fat)?
    WHAT THINGS MAKE YOU SAY RETAIN WATER (OR LOSE WATER)?
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I would also 100% recommend reading the link that AnnPT77 posted:
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    [snipped]
    If you haven't read it, this article would be informative, and maybe calming:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

[snipped]

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Water retention can be caused by hormones and also by eating foods higher in sodium. It can also be caused by high blood pressure. If you lift weights, you will retain water for muscle recovery. Hypothyroidism is another condition that causes water retention.

And while this might sound weird: to help with water retention, drink more water. Dehydration makes your body hold onto that water weight, so being well hydrated will help to flush it out.

Water retention makes it appear that you have gained weight when you haven’t. Certain medications can increase weight gain, lack of sleep, hormones, certain medical conditions etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

To add to gain weight not fat - a day or big meal of above normal for you fibrous foods that are absorbed with water in the gut before making their way out.

To that point about sodium, if always on higher end of sodium eating may not see much fluctuation on this, but when doing low sodium gives more room for increase. And that can increase overnight, but take days to drop back down.

Also increasing cardio where more blood volume is desired for cooling and extra sweating.
    Increasing cardio where the body stores more carbs in muscle with attached water, even if during a diet these aren't totally topped off.

The wedding cake syndrome.
    Bridal party has starved themselves all week to make sure they fit in their dresses.
    At reception they have a piece of cake and a little alchy perhaps but want to keep their new low weight.
    They gain 5 lbs by Sun morning.
    The cake they ate didn't even weigh 1 lb.
    The calories they ate didn't even go above 3500.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options

Read the article I posted upthread, that someone else already reposted. It addresses exactly those questions.

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations