Jewelry

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I really like the first pair. Super delicate and feminine.

they're nice

.... and the second pair are kinda badazz; I like'em
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I'm probably the only person on earth who feels awkward wearing any kind of jewelry. It's just not me. :neutral:
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    My story covers several generations.
    Long before I was born (I'm 62) my grandmother went to India and bought an antique bracelet. It's solid gold and has uncut diamonds and rubies along with beautiful enamel work. Many years later she gifted it to my mom.
    When I was 16 I went to India with my parents and mom wanted a necklace to wear with the bracelet. We were staying on a houseboat in Kashmir and went to a hole in the wall jewelry store. When mom told the shop owner what she was looking for he locked up the shop and had a young boy bring suitcases of antique jewelry out to show us. A amazing memory
    even if nothing had been purchased.
    Mom chose a necklace and paid $1,000 for it. One side has uncut diamonds, the other has enamel work.
    Once we were back in the US she had it appraised. I dont want to say what the value was but she was told that it was a museum piece.
    After mom passed both pieces were passed down to me. I received them right before going on vacation and had no access to my safe deposit box so took both items with me. The necklace had some enamel damage I wanted repaired.
    The store owner of a repair jeweler I visited looked in awe at the pieces and told me that 2 days ago he got earrings that perfectly match! They were tiny but I had to have them so paid $1,000. for the tiny earrings.
    So now 3 generations of women have contributed to this set. I offered it to my niece, the only female to hand it down to and she said she doesn't want it! 😭😭😭
    So I will continue to enjoy it and hope my nephew's future wife will want to carry on the tradition.
    k40sbhzwsi75.jpg
    k3h4tth0q12u.jpg

That is so cool!
  • Yoshiboobs
    dgh2kyr99itf.jpg

My great grandmother's engagement ring.

I've never seen a ring in that style before. I like it.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    dgh2kyr99itf.jpg

My great grandmother's engagement ring.

Cool!
  • beagletracks
    k40sbhzwsi75.jpg
    k3h4tth0q12u.jpg

Beautiful pieces and such a great story.

Yesterday I ordered $7 stainless steel skeleton earrings from Etsy. :D Sounds about right. Also ordered a pair made from “vintage spoons.” Our family isn’t much for jewelry. I do have my grandma’s old refrigerator magnets, though.
  • beagletracks
    Umm, I just want to follow up to say that the cheap jewelry I bought online is garbage. The skeletons are cute, but such poor quality. The ones made from vintage spoons are a nice idea, but they are super heavy (go figure) and not great quality either. The hooks are cheap and don't feel like they should be occupying space in my earholes.

Still looking for recommendations for places to buy jewelry online. There has to be a happy medium between $7 and $350 for a pair of silver earrings.

I'm trying not to order anything delivered by USPS until after the election, but it's fun to think about.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2020
    Bought these earrings from a very talented jewelry designer in Etsy to celebrate losing the first 30 pounds. They are brass, and while I wish they were silver or gold I will be looking to buy from her again.
  • As I'm getting silver streaks, I'm wearing a lot more stainless steel and white gold. I need to get a nice white-gold chain to carry my pentacle so that I can start wearing it every day again. Boyfriend and I are waiting to improve our income before buying me a ring, but I have my eye on a lab-created ruby with side diamonds in a white gold setting. I prefer lab-created because I have human rights concerns in several countries where rubies are mined, and of course the same is true with diamonds. I'm glad I have the option to do this.
  • Yoshiboobs
    edited October 2020
    erup5aqbp5nm.jpeg

4y969wdfcdbt.jpeg

The owl reminds me of a necklace my grandmother had and I found this one at a antique store. 😍 😍 😍
    The colorful one is a earrings and pendant set that I bought at Myrtle Beach probably ten years ago. I've always liked the shape of it and it might be a good tattoo???
  • beagletracks
    edited October 2020
    slessofme wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm probably the only person on earth who feels awkward wearing any kind of jewelry. It's just not me. :neutral:

You aren't alone. I went on an art walk this weekend (local artists in a specific neighborhood organized it) and the only person still open was a jewelry designer. Although I really love the design, I'll have to work to wear it occasionally. be37e2vxv30e.jpg
    Bought these earrings from a very talented jewelry designer in Etsy to celebrate losing the first 30 pounds. They are brass, and while I wish they were silver or gold I will be looking to buy from her again.
    Yoshiboobs wrote: »
    erup5aqbp5nm.jpeg

4y969wdfcdbt.jpeg

The owl reminds me of a necklace my grandmother had and I found this one at a antique store. 😍 😍 😍
    The colorful one is a earrings and pendant set that I bought at Myrtle Beach probably ten years ago. I've always liked the shape of it and it might be a good tattoo???

Love all of these, especially the owl! Yes, I think the second pendant would make a cool tattoo!

I also feel awkward in most jewelry. I always wear earrings, though, and when I’m dressed to go out, I always wear a watch. I’ve bought necklaces and bracelets over the years with the best of intentions, but I never wear them. I do like to wear a ring or two. Currently a snake ring I got in high school and found in my garage. I wore it the last time we went out to see live music in March. :'(

Keep sharing! Love seeing this stuff.

Show your watches, too, please (all genders)!
  • beagletracks
    Wow! What beautiful pieces, @RunsWithBees and @AnnPT77 ! Thanks for sharing. <3 I wish I had your talent.
  • beagletracks
    I saw an ad for “Sundance Catalog” on Instagram and ended up ordering three of the pairs below. I hope they’re nice!

egw6b5ynwgxw.jpeg

Probably should have just ordered one pair, but oh well. What’s done is done.