Ole’ man in the desert 😉 53 yrs young.

Options
Wanting to say hello to everyone. I’m 53 5’ 9” 195 lbs. My goal is 15% body fat or 163 lbs. whatever comes first.

Started dieting down August 23rd so I’m losing a pound a week and content with it. I’m trying to minimize muscles lose with 40% of my calories coming from protein. I do 35 minutes existence and 30 minutes cardio. Also, some core work. It’s a moderate work outs 6 days a week.

Be great to hear from you. Give a shout out.

Robb

SW 201lbs
CW 195 lbs
GW 163 lbs

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    On the first part of the journey, I was lookin' at all of life. I've been through the desert on a horse with no name....

Robb, a pound a week is fine. Many here aim for .5 lbs a week and enjoy the ride. It's a slower pace but you can think through the process as you're working on your muscle mass. Keep your head engaged every step of the way. After 35 lbs you can let the horse run free and walk through the rest of the desert.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Another old man here. When COVID stopped me from working, I was at an all time high weight of 218lbs. Like anyone else, I can get out of shape if I don't apply myself. Today I'm 179lbs and still moving down to 170lbs before the end of the year. Just be patient and consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got this under control. Great progress so far. Keep up the work.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,452 Member
    Options
    Awesome loss so far ....Congrats :)
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    robbgenco wrote: »
    Wanting to say hello to everyone. I’m 53 5’ 9” 195 lbs. My goal is 15% body fat or 163 lbs. whatever comes first.

Started dieting down August 23rd so I’m losing a pound a week and content with it. I’m trying to minimize muscles lose with 40% of my calories coming from protein. I do 35 minutes existence and 30 minutes cardio. Also, some core work. It’s a moderate work outs 6 days a week.

Be great to hear from you. Give a shout out.

Robb

SW 201lbs
    CW 195 lbs
    GW 163 lbs

5'9" 54 yo male here. I began using MFP (in earnest) on Oct 1, 2018 when I was 52 yo, starting weight at 202. I lost 35 lbs the first six months, and another 7 pounds during the next 6 months. I did no cardio or weightlifting/resistance training during that time, though I did keep up with my walking. (I had been walking 25-35 mpw for several years but had never lost weight before b/c I did not have my diet under control.)

In mid-Sept 2019 I took up running, initially through completing C25K and then by completing a B210K program. I have kept at it and have run ~20 mpw since. Running did not result in a large additional weight loss, though it helped a ton as far as me maintaining my weight loss. Now I'm trying to work on the last 5-10 lbs and it is difficult. On the other hand, I have been at 155 pretty consistently for a long while, so I am grateful for that.

ETA: That first 6 months I was losing about 1.3 lbs/week but I also took a break about every 15 weeks that first year, where I ate at maintenance. I will not lie, I found it very difficult sometimes, especially the hunger I got when I was down about 20 lbs. What helped me was knowing that it was time limited. Good luck!
  • FitVibration
    FitVibration Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hello and support 👋 it’s a journey and a lifestyle change for sure.

Not much room for error at this stage. It’s like you take off 1 pound a week and in one sitting you can nearly put back several weeks of loses. Avoiding the pitfalls and falling off the wagon are crucial.

Thing is we all fall down. But, it’s about picking yourself up brushing yourself off and keep on keeping on. No condemnation no discouragement. It’s normal to have set backs from time to time. It’s not normal for them to turn back into bad habits. Get back in the saddle and ride on.

Looking forward to bouncing things off you guys and gals. Ideas, diets etc.

Thanks again for reaching out. Be great to support each other to reach our goal. Don’t hesitate to contact me anytime.

Robb 🥳🎉👍
  • coffee_n_weights
    coffee_n_weights Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan and attitude - keep up the great work
  • FitVibration
    Options
    Still trying to figure out how to respond to each of you individually. Great job 👏 from what I can see.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Use the @ character and copy any name. If you can't see entire name, click on their name under photo and copy it. A drop down box will show up and give you options so you don't have to type it all out.
    @robbgenco Just like that.
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @Diatonic12 Like this 😂
  • Diatonic12
    Options
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @ninerbuff How tall and how old if I can ask 👍
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @coffee_n_weights Thank you. It’s a tough journey for all of us. No sense in making it tougher than need be with a negative attitude 🥳👍
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 Thank you 👍
  • FitVibration
    Options
    @AliNouveau Thanks for me the hardest part was the first week 👍
  • FitVibration
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Diatonic12 Well, that horse best be careful I get hungry enough 😂👍
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @robbgenco You're on a roll now. Connection matters. Enjoy yourself, you've already made boatloads of friends.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    On the first part of the journey, I was lookin' at all of life. I've been through the desert on a horse with no name....

Robb, a pound a week is fine. Many here aim for .5 lbs a week and enjoy the ride. It's a slower pace but you can think through the process as you're working on your muscle mass. Keep your head engaged every step of the way. After 35 lbs you can let the horse run free and walk through the rest of the desert.

But, like, how many weeks was he on that horse? He totally could have given him a name.

Edit: should have read the entire post before getting smug 😏
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    Old man? I don't think so. Middle-aged man? Probably. You've got a lot of adventures ahead of you, and now weight management seems to be one of those adventures. Enjoy it. Take the long view. If you "only" lose lose a half pound a week, next September you will have lost 26 pounds. That's practically your goal! I know I "only" gained a pound or two a year, but after 30 years..... You got this.

As far as undoing several weeks in one sitting - don't stress over that. You ~WILL~ stumble along the way. No worries. It's a journey. You can take side hikes on the journey. Go see the attractions. But when you're done, get back moving towards your goal.

One tool that helps a lot of folks is a trending weight app or spreadsheet. There's lots of things that affect your mass in the short term. Don't sweat it. Look at the long view. The simplest way is log in a spreadsheet, ignore the daily numbers, and instead just have a column with a rolling ten-day average. There's some websites and apps that will also do a weighted moving average that assigns a higher importance to today's weight and yesterday's weight than your weight ten days ago. Because that's ten days ago. I like the graphs provided by Trendweight, but you can't enter data there directly. If you use Fitbit, it will sync. Otherwise you can open a fitbit account and manually enter the data. I also use WeightGrapher. It has a feature that you can turn on that also shows your trending weight one month ago so you can see how you compare.

For more background, check out the Hacker's Diet, especially the section on Signal to Noise.

Welcome. You've got this. But sorry, you're not old. Stay healthy and maybe some day you will be, but er, not yet.
  • Missmass4
    Missmass4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nice job! That kind of effort and dedication is inspiring. Keep up the good work and positive attitude and you’ll be reaching your goals in no time!