Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Does anyone still track calories in maintenance?

Tanie98Tanie98 Member Posts: 671 Member Member Posts: 671 Member
I lost weight when i started tracking my food and was able to keep it off for few years because I had a very active job and was going to gym regularly..so i kept losing weight even though i stopping counting calories. I started getting you're getting too skinny comments. I was at my lowest at 115 lbs

Then I switched jobs and started working with food. I started snacking and tasting food constantly and wasn't exercising as much and i gained some of the weight back. I weigh 134 and trying to get back to 125. So i started tracking again.

However, I have came across video's on YouTube of people talking about counting calories doesn't work long-term and is not sustainable because we can't count forever to keep the weight off. I find when i stop counting, I get off track and start gaining. That could also i'm not exercising enough

So does anyone still track on maintenance? Does exercing regularly and watch your diet work to maintain without counting calories?
edited October 3

Replies

• mtaratootmtaratoot Member Posts: 3,811 Member Member Posts: 3,811 Member
    I've only been maintaining 2.5 years. I track calories in and out. I have found that I gain when I am in surplus and I lose when I am in deficit.

I have found that because I try to measure things (scale) when I prepare them myself, I've got better at estimating them when I don't. I think that if I stop measuring what I eat, my estimator will become uncalibrated. So I don't mind taking the seven minutes per day it takes to enter my data and try to stay reasonably close to my caloric target.
    edited October 3
  • briscogunbriscogun Member Posts: 980 Member Member Posts: 980 Member
    I follow the "You Can't Manage What You Don't Measure" Philosophy. Eating without tracking is what got me in trouble in the first place. I've been in maintenance now since May, so just a few months, but I do track almost every day. Last month there were probably 7 days or so that I skipped logging and weighing. Those were days I enjoyed myself! But weighed in again, tracked the couple of pounds that I gained, started logging again, weight dropped off.

Everyone is different, but I will probably have some version of weighing in regularly and tracking most of the time. It just works, and every time I've stopped I put on weight. Like 30-40 pounds. So I'm done doing that.

Just find what works for you and do that!
  • MadisonMolly2017MadisonMolly2017 Member Posts: 6,665 Member Member Posts: 6,665 Member
    After a lifetime of obesity with bursts of dieting & no successful maintenance (> than 1 year), I decided to track for the rest of my life.

I’m now at 2 year 1 month of maintaining 74lbs, and am very slowly losing some more lbs (vanity) to trim the tummy )hopefully.

Having said I’ll track for life, now I have to say “we’ll see.” I am getting hunger feelings for the first time I can remember. I don’t like how I feel if I do eat a rich food or too much.

So, I plan to track forever, but if the miracles continue, “we’ll see.”
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 38,131 Member Member Posts: 38,131 Member
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    I lost weight when i started tracking my food and was able to keep it off for few years because I had a very active job and was going to gym regularly..so i kept losing weight even though i stopping counting calories. I started getting you're getting too skinny comments. I was at my lowest at 115 lbs

Then I switched jobs and started working with food. I started snacking and tasting food constantly and wasn't exercising as much and i gained some of the weight back. I weigh 134 and trying to get back to 125. So i started tracking again.

However, I have came across video's on YouTube of people talking about counting calories doesn't work long-term and is not sustainable because we can't count forever to keep the weight off. I find when i stop counting, I get off track and start gaining. That could also i'm not exercising enough

So does anyone still track on maintenance? Does exercing regularly and watch your diet work to maintain without counting calories?

Some people can, but yeah...I'd say for the overwhelming majority, it isn't something that is sustainable forever. I've been in maintenance 7.5 years and have not counted calories in that time. I namely used calorie counting as a teaching tool in regards to better nutrition, and how much I really need in regards to calories. I basically keep a lose tally in my head.

I don't really eat much differently in maintenance than when I was losing though...I know in reality that the difference between losing weight and maintaining my weight is really just a handful of calories, so I don't use maintenance as something I can just splurge all of the time with...here and there, sure...but for the most part I just keep it pretty healthy and I know what a portion of most things is for me that I eat regularly.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakescupcakesandproteinshakes Member Posts: 800 Member Member Posts: 800 Member
    I have periods when I do count and then I don’t bother. I do weight myself every morning though and if I notice an upward trend of 5 pounds then I’m back logging and tracking. There isn’t a right or wrong way though.?
  • TreblesmamaTreblesmama Member Posts: 12 Member Member Posts: 12 Member
    No, but I didn't track calories during my active weight loss phase either. I did and continue to do other things that keeps my calories in check though. The big thing is to be intentional and set parameters into place so you keep on track. That may include counting calories or it may not. But, I think there's very few people who have been able to maintain their weight loss long term without having some sort of checks n' balances in place.

edited October 5
  • MadisonMolly2017MadisonMolly2017 Member Posts: 6,665 Member Member Posts: 6,665 Member
    I read somewhere that the key to maintenance is creating a calorie deficit - and there are an infinite number of ways to do that.
    Give yourself time to try things & see how they work. If they do, keep them. If they don’t come up with a new thing to try.

Just Never Give Up.
  • charmmethcharmmeth Member Posts: 540 Member Member Posts: 540 Member
    I read somewhere that the key to maintenance is creating a calorie deficit - and there are an infinite number of ways to do that.

Could you explain what you mean in terms of a calorie deficit and maintenance? I understood that a calorie deficit will caue one to lose weight, and that maintenance is about finding a calorie equilibrium. Either way, I completely agree that there are many ways to do it.
  • mylittlerainbowmylittlerainbow Member Posts: 545 Member Member Posts: 545 Member
    I do continue to measure everything and log it on MFP, both my calories and my activities. I calculated my TDEE and set MFP to that, and I don't eat back my calories. Weekly weighing and tweaking after that. I have slipped up a few times in my past life and don't want that to happen again, so I think I'll need to be held accountable for the rest of my life.