Clean Eating for Beginners

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Poultry: Avoid the carton of white eggs OPT for the Brown Organic; Egg whites are essential; Boneless skinless turkey; OR B/S Chicken Breast

Why avoid the white eggs? You do realize the color of the chicken determines the color of the eggs, right? Also, many turkeys and chickens are pumped full of hormones to reach maturity are force fed so they cannot even stand or walk, sit in tiny closed in the dark houses in their own feces? They treat them with antibiotics so they can avoid excess casualties.

Also, it's been repeatedly proven, no one can taste a difference between white eggs and brown eggs. It's completely psychological to like your eggs to be the color brown.
    I would just like to point out that this is false. The color of a chicken has nothing to do with the color of the eggs it lays.

yes, yes it does. As someone who has raised chickens.. i can confirm if they are red and have red earlobes their eggs will be brown. If they are white/have white earlobes the eggs will be white.

Also, agreed that the color makes no difference. This was my point.
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    I like your list a lot and would be similar to mine :)

I would probably add 97 lean ground beef, Barilla Plus pasta, protein shakes, berries, almonds, natural peanut butter, oats, tilapia, tuna, and the occasional oreo blizzard

Thank you. It was meant to just be an example and I think has been taken out of context. I eat many of the things you just posted as well. We are all different which I know. I was just showing some healthier options than the processed food option to eating.

I never meant to start such silliness! :happy:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's actually a bit of a myth. Shell color is determined by breed. Some lay white, some lay brown and some (Aracaunas and Americaunas) lay green. What they eat, the color of the feathers, have nothing to do with it.

Best explanation:
    "It's all about genetics. Eggshell color is in genes inherited from the chicken's parents. Egg shell color ranges from white, cream, pink, brown, blue, green to even dark brown chocolate colored. It has to do with pigments called porphyrins that are deposited along the hen's reproductive system as the egg passes along the tract and the shell forms. Different porphyrins cause different shell colors. For example, brown eggs are the result of the pigment protoporphyrin. Auracauna chickens lay green eggs because they posses the pigment pyocyanin, which causes the green/blue eggs.

(The color of the chicken's feathers, skin, or earlobes may have some correlation with eggshell color but they do not determine color. Those traits are on a completely different chromosome. This is a popular myth.)"
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    The clean eating threads are getting so boring... even more boring than the women who keep reporting when it's their TOM and definitely more boring than the people who keep juicing their food as if they have just had their jaws wired

If they are so boring, then why read it or post on it. Just saying.

This was just an example not to be taken to heart.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That's actually a bit of a myth. Shell color is determined by breed. Some lay white, some lay brown and some (Aracaunas and Americaunas) lay green. What they eat, the color of the feathers, have nothing to do with it.

Best explanation:
    "It's all about genetics. Eggshell color is in genes inherited from the chicken's parents. Egg shell color ranges from white, cream, pink, brown, blue, green to even dark brown chocolate colored. It has to do with pigments called porphyrins that are deposited along the hen's reproductive system as the egg passes along the tract and the shell forms. Different porphyrins cause different shell colors. For example, brown eggs are the result of the pigment protoporphyrin. Auracauna chickens lay green eggs because they posses the pigment pyocyanin, which causes the green/blue eggs.

(The color of the chicken's feathers, skin, or earlobes may have some correlation with eggshell color but they do not determine color. Those traits are on a completely different chromosome. This is a popular myth.)"

Well i'll be damned. It determined it everytime in my house. ;) But i'll admit i'm wrong if that's the case.

Doesn't change the fact that, eating brown eggs are not "cleaner" than eating white. :flowerforyou:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    WTF! Where's the bacon??? :noway:
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    Thank you for getting what I meant. Im just giving an example of choosing healthier options for your calories, other then processed foods.

I understand we all choose to eat differently, what works for one doesnt work for the other.

:happy:

So... you do understand the food that you are eating ARE processed, right?

Many foods may be processed as some point. My conclusion some more then others is my point. OPting to eat less processed foods is the goal. I live in the Country and grow my own Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Potatoes, etc. Can you argue that eating a Frozen Healthy One is better then eating Fresh Vegetable and Fruits???
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I would probably add 97 lean ground beef, Barilla Plus pasta, protein shakes, berries, almonds, natural peanut butter, oats, tilapia, tuna, and the occasional oreo blizzard

Thank you. It was meant to just be an example and I think has been taken out of context. I eat many of the things you just posted as well. We are all different which I know. I was just showing some healthier options than the processed food option to eating.

At least you're being a sport.

IMHO, "clean" means so many different things to different people that it provides no objective frame of reference for a discussion on nutrition. It's really no better than referring to "good" or "bad" foods, which I also avoid. Is it not better to discuss foods in terms of how they fit into our overall diets?

Just my two cents. These discussions can get heated and go on forever, so I'm just dropping that here for thought.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Best explanation:

Well i'll be damned. It determined it everytime in my house. ;) But i'll admit i'm wrong if that's the case.

Doesn't change the fact that, eating brown eggs are not "cleaner" than eating white. :flowerforyou:

*LOL* I totally agree :) And I seriously thought it was determined by the ear until I was school by someone sciencey (I'm totally going to pretend that's a word!)
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options

At least you're being a sport.

IMHO, "clean" means so many different things to different people that it provides no objective frame of reference for a discussion on nutrition. It's really no better than referring to "good" or "bad" foods, which I also avoid. Is it not better to discuss foods in terms of how they fit into our overall diets?

Just my two cents. These discussions can get heated and go on forever, so I'm just dropping that here for thought.

I see that now. I am not one to really post on forums; this is my second one really. I feel like saying, OK everyone Just STOP POSTING AND EAT WHAT YA WANT LOL !!! THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE :)))
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The clean eating threads are getting so boring... even more boring than the women who keep reporting when it's their TOM and definitely more boring than the people who keep juicing their food as if they have just had their jaws wired

Because I didn't know it was boring until I read it...

And I always give an honest opinion

And this 'clean eating' thing is bulls*it. Most of the foods you listed, unless you grow, source and rear them yourself are gonnabe 'processed' in some way.

And that's why this post is boring... it's the same as ALL the other 'I eat clean' posts. You act is as you have some breakthrough new way of eating when in fact it's so old you wanna bury it.
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    Poultry: Avoid the carton of white eggs OPT for the Brown Organic; Egg whites are essential; Boneless skinless turkey; OR B/S Chicken Breast

Why avoid the white eggs? You do realize the color of the chicken determines the color of the eggs, right? Also, many turkeys and chickens are pumped full of hormones to reach maturity are force fed so they cannot even stand or walk, sit in tiny closed in the dark houses in their own feces? They treat them with antibiotics so they can avoid excess casualties.

***I guess since I feed my chickens and know that I dont pump them with hormones. Living Country.*** AngelRMartinez
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options

Because I didn't know it was boring until I read it...

And I always give an honest opinion

And this 'clean eating' thing is bulls*it. Most of the foods you listed, unless you grow, source and rear them yourself are gonnabe 'processed' in some way.

And that's why this post is boring... it's the same as ALL the other 'I eat clean' posts. You act is as you have some breakthrough new way of eating when in fact it's so old you wanna bury it.

I never acted like I had some new way of eating, ssppphhh. I actually do have my own garden and chickens. So for me this is more true then not. The post read HELPFUL TIPS and put your own TWIST on it. Goodness gracious.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think everyone gets what you mean. People just want to prove something about what "clean" is. The nitpicking is pretty petty in my opinion.

The foods you listed are very good examples of eating healthier options than 99% of other stuff that is out there. And it is simple, but it's helpful because the majority of people on this site are here to lose weight and be healthier and they get convoluted information everywhere they look so they really do have no grasp of basic eating principles. So you used the word 'clean'. Big ****ing deal.
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    I think everyone gets what you mean. People just want to prove something about what "clean" is. The nitpicking is pretty petty in my opinion.

The foods you listed are very good examples of eating healthier options than 99% of other stuff that is out there. And it is simple, but it's helpful because the majority of people on this site are here to lose weight and be healthier and they get convoluted information everywhere they look so they really do have no grasp of basic eating principles. So you used the word 'clean'. Big ****ing deal.

Appreciate the positive response. Im not going to comment any further to anyone other post. In the long run maybe I should had put healthier eating but Im sure ppl still would had something to say.I am a motivationer not a downer. I want to help and support others to reach their goals. TGIF!!! :drinker:
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just keep laughing about the ginger chickens.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "calories are a unit of energy..so yes they are all equal, sorry to break it to you ..."
    [/quote]

A calorie is an equal measurement, but the macronutrients which account for the calories are not created equal. And that's what she's meaning. If I ate 600 grams of carbs a day that would be 2,400 calories and if I ate 600 grams of protein a day, that would again be 2,400 calories. Show me someone who eats 2,400 kcal/ of steak a day and someone who eats 2,400 calories worth of twinkies a day, somehow adjust for all other variables and let's see how they match up.
    [/quote]

didn't that one guy lose weight on the twinkie diet....if your are eating 2400 calories of twinkies and that is a 500 calorie deficit then you will lose weight...
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Even if it is true you can lose weight by eating twinkies all day, it would make a person sick. I'd get sick of them. even if I ate a 100% pizza diet 24/7 , I'd get sick too. I'd feel like that guy who ate McDonalds for 30 days and got so sick he thought he was going to die, probably would have too if he continued. the doctor told him he needed to give up that diet, so i dont think he even made the 30 days. haha when i had a couple of salads from that sandwich chain that made me sick twice after eating it, i know what that guy must have felt like.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    No. No one takes away my cheese. :angry:

This :frown:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Even if it is true you can lose weight by eating twinkies all day, it would make a person sick. I'd get sick of them. even if I ate a 100% pizza diet 24/7 , I'd get sick too. I'd feel like that guy who ate McDonalds for 30 days and got so sick he thought he was going to die, probably would have too if he continued. the doctor told him he needed to give up that diet, so i dont think he even made the 30 days. haha when i had a couple of salads from that sandwich chain that made me sick twice after eating it, i know what that guy must have felt like.

You have completely missed the point on every discussion that has ever been had regarding the Twinkie diet. Everyone knows this. Everyone. No one is suggesting that you follow the Twinkie diet. What is being discussed, and has been discussed countless times, is the fact that a calorie is a calorie in terms of weight loss. Nutrition is another matter, and for that reason, and as stated above, no one is suggesting that anyone follow the Twinkie diet. It is simply an illustration of the fact that a calorie is a calorie in terms of weight loss.