How much coffee do you drink and do you count it as part of your water intake?

Options
13»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your coffee and don't sweat the small stuff.

We are kindred spirits...

• EmpressBarbara
    EmpressBarbara Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I count my coffee! It is true that caffeine is a diuretic, but drinking a cup of coffee does not result in a net loss of water - that's a pervasive myth that, as a dietitian, I wish would go away! So, if you drink 250 ml of coffee, you might lose 15 ml as extra urine. But don't sweat it. It's fine. Let's stop fussing over water already, drink when you're thirsty. We didn't evolve this far by dying when our water intake was a bit off, the body is pretty adaptable.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    drinking a cup of coffee does not result in a net loss of water

100%
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I don't track water intake, I simply drink fluids (including coffee) when I feel thirsty or they sound good. Combined with the liquid that it's the food we eat, it seems to work pretty well for me.

I typically drink about 16 ounces of coffee per day.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    There was absolutely no acknowledgement of coffee causing fluid loss.

And even if it does it is probably not enough to be of any significance...
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    None. I'm seriously allergic to coffee it brings on asthma attacks. I can handle the tiniest amounts if decaf that its just not worth the bother.

I really struggle drinking plain water though, just bought a soda stream to see if making it fizzy makes it more appealing
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't count my 3 cups of morning coffee, but I do count my tea. I switch from cold water to hot tea during the winter and drink 3-5 cups of hot herbal/green tea most days.
  • feauxfu
    feauxfu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking two cups of coffee because of the cold, and only count the 40 calories of creamer I use