Is frequency or duration more important?

Options
My main exercise is walking. Previously I did one hour, two to three times a week. Now I aim for 45 minutes every day. At the moment i seem to be regaining lost weight. Why is that?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    CONSISTENCY is the most important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I see. So it may not be the change of exercise to blame then?
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Frequency and duration have somewhat of a push-pull relationship. Generally the less exercise you do, the more intense it needs to be to drive adaptations but if you're going more frequently than it's not as necessary to go as hard as you would otherwise.

Unfortunately, for those looking to lose weight, people have managed to gain weight even after partaking in the most intense exercise programs and that comes from the nutritional side of the house and not so much the exercise.

You can sit around all day and do absolutely nothing and still lose weight so I would advise you to take a look at your nutrition.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I struggle big time to remain within my calorie deficit goal WITHOUT exercise, but that’s just because I want to eat more than I should. So I exercise so I can eat that extra food.

The ONLY thing you NEED to do to lose weight is eat fewer calories than you need to maintain. Obviously, something is amiss with your tracking if you are gaining weight.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I see. So it may not be the change of exercise to blame then?

Gaining weight only happens by eating more calories than you're burning. Losing it only happens the other way around. It isn't the exercise.

If the purpose of the exercise is weight loss, then it's the total distance that matters because unless you're walking on really hilly ground, distance and calories burned have a very close relationship.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    For weight gain, the issue is eating too many calories. For fitness, I favor the consistency of walking daily for 30-45 vs 60 two or three times/wk, even if the total Time was equal
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    For weight gain, the issue is eating too many calories. For fitness, I favor the consistency of walking daily for 30-45 vs 60 two or three times/wk, even if the total Time was equal

Thanks. I'll have to review that, but I'm not conscious of any eating change. Yes I know the advice is to use a scale for everything, but that's not been happening. Eyeballing portion sizes, everything looks just about the same as before.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll have to review that, but I'm not conscious of any eating change. Yes I know the advice is to use a scale for everything, but that's not been happening. Eyeballing portion sizes, everything looks just about the same as before.

Eyeballing is not accurate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options

Obviously NOT since you're gaining weight while burning more calories. See there was a reason we did have to take math class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    If eyeballing portion sizes worked for you, you probably wouldn’t be trying to lose weight because you probably wouldn’t have gotten overweight in the first place.

You have NO CLUE how much your eating and then you are confused as to why you are exercising more and gaining weight. Hmmm.... if you don’t have a food scale, get one, NOW and WEIGH AND TRACK YOUR CALORIES.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

Has your non-exercise routine changed in any significant way? That's also a potential source of calorie balance variation.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    i don't want to go all philosophical on you but our bodies are way more complicated than any self proclaimed nutritionist, weight loss coach, or expert says or thinks, and watching the scale will drive you mad, your favorite pair of jeans is a better barometer, you start with your belly hanging over your belt, then your belly disappears into your pants, then the pants fall off you cause they are too loose

but on a serious note, please get a body fat tester, the kind you hold out in front of you with two hands, it's not super precise but it will show you how your body mass is changing from say 80% lean (muscle, bones, blood, etc.) / 20% fat to say 15% fat because there is a huge difference of being 185 lbs and 20% body fat and being 195 lbs at only 15% body fat, so being heavier is not necessarily bad (ladies see this with dress sizes, they can be heavier and go from a size 12 to a size 8)

the key is consistency, and like a tell my baby brother rather than doing 3 bootcamp session in one Saturday do one every other day (that kid has no self discipline, ha ha)

short answer = frequency or as I call it consistency, but with walking, walk every day if you can, make your rest days be dictated by being too busy (and not feeling guilty, or it raining outside, or injury) in other words don't skip walking because of some silly pattern you came up with
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    By the title I was REALLY hoping we'd be talking about another physical activity. Alas, it's walking.

So to add to the nutrition advice you've gotten this far, I'll add the concept of seasonality.

For example, in my part of the world when seasons change my access to fresh, local produce changes too. So eyeballing your plate can be different from season to season depending on where you live if part of your eating preferences include fresh, local produce.

Lastly, you also mentioned that you "aim" to walk every single day but do you actually do it?

And how long have you noticed your weight increasing?

It may just be a matter of a few small tweaks before you're back on track to where you want to be
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Has your non-exercise routine changed in any significant way? That's also a potential source of calorie balance variation.

I don't think so. Didn't gain weight at home during the COVID19 lockdown nor the work from home period. Strangely this reversal started in September after I got back into the office. And no, I don't partake of the office snacks.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't think so. Didn't gain weight at home during the COVID19 lockdown nor the work from home period. Strangely this reversal started in September after I got back into the office. And no, I don't partake of the office snacks.

You still seem to skipping the most important step. Weigh your food and log it accurately instead of “eyeballing” portions.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    muszyngr wrote: »
    i don't want to go all philosophical on you but our bodies are way more complicated than any self proclaimed nutritionist, weight loss coach, or expert says or thinks, and watching the scale will drive you mad, your favorite pair of jeans is a better barometer, you start with your belly hanging over your belt, then your belly disappears into your pants, then the pants fall off you cause they are too loose

but on a serious note, please get a body fat tester, the kind you hold out in front of you with two hands, it's not super precise but it will show you how your body mass is changing from say 80% lean (muscle, bones, blood, etc.) / 20% fat to say 15% fat because there is a huge difference of being 185 lbs and 20% body fat and being 195 lbs at only 15% body fat, so being heavier is not necessarily bad (ladies see this with dress sizes, they can be heavier and go from a size 12 to a size 8)

the key is consistency, and like a tell my baby brother rather than doing 3 bootcamp session in one Saturday do one every other day (that kid has no self discipline, ha ha)

short answer = frequency or as I call it consistency, but with walking, walk every day if you can, make your rest days be dictated by being too busy (and not feeling guilty, or it raining outside, or injury) in other words don't skip walking because of some silly pattern you came up with

This is interesting. Will check out the body fat tester. I agree the pants waist is a good measurement, and the waist is getting tight. I'm trying to fix the problem BEFORE the belly actually hangs over.