2g of protein per kg to avoid muscle loss ?

Hi!

I weigh 80kgs (176 lbs) I’m and currently at a 500 cal deficit. Which puts me at 1800 calories a day.
I workout 4 to 6 times a week.
So I’d like to know if I eat around 160-170g of protein per day and not eat back all of my burned during workout calories, could U lose muscle mass ? Or am I ok as long as I eat 2g of protein per kg of body weight ?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I would shoot for 1 gram per target body weight. Need more info... Male? Activity? Bf?
  • weedspot
    weedspot Posts: 29 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I would shoot for 1 gram per target body weight. Need more info... Male? Activity? Bf?

I’m a man, pretty sedentary job outside of the 4-6 weekly workouts. No idea what my body fat is.
    All I’m trying to know is can I lose muscle while being at a 500 calorie deficit, despite eating 2g of protein per kg (160g a day) ?

• psychod787
    weedspot wrote: »

I’m a man, pretty sedentary job outside of the 4-6 weekly workouts. No idea what my body fat is.
    All I’m trying to know is can I lose muscle while being at a 500 calorie deficit, despite eating 2g of protein per kg (160g a day) ?

Yes, you will lose some, (ok, most likely)...but... eating higher protein as you suggested will help. The old rule of 1mg per pound of bw is a good one Make sure you are lifting for hypertrophy. Still try to get stronger. It will hopefully be very minimal lean mass loss..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    weedspot wrote: »

Protein is just one factor and losing weight at double the rate you were aiming for makes muscle loss far more likely.
    Training is also a big factor, effective weight/resistance training is a very strong signal to retain your muscle - use it or lose it applies.
  • sk8viljar
    sk8viljar Posts: 2 Member
    Don't listen to much to these other people, and don't worry about loosing to much muscle. psychod787 obviously don't know what he is talking about recommending 1g per kg, and then later talking about "The old rule of 1mg per pound of bw" haha

And as AnnPT77 says, "Strength training & adequate protein shift your odds of losing muscle toward minimizing its loss."

2g per kg is adequate, in fact, it is good enough to gain muscle mass, even while being calorie deficit. You might not gain as much as when having a surplus calorie intake, but you still may gain. Ofc, people are a little different, and might react differently to the same stimulus, but in theory, as long as you keep eating 2g protein per kg/bw and you are above 3-5% body fat, you should not lose muscle. And given that you are trying to lose fat, it is safe to asume that you are above that 3-5%.

Ofc, I am not god, and I might be wrong, but I doubdt it. And if you are loosing any muscle, it is absolutely minimal. But again, I doubdt it. If it is possible to gain muscle while restricting calories, it is definetly possible to keep muscle mass while restricting calories.

In other words, you are good mate.

And just to support my claim, I'll add these links

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/build-muscle-and-lose-fat-simultaneously-yes-it-is-possible.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    To not lose muscle mass you need to do it slowly and continue to lift heavy, if not heavier than you used to.
  • sk8viljar
    sk8viljar Posts: 2 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    sk8viljar wrote: »
    Don't listen to much to these other people, and don't worry about loosing to much muscle. psychod787 obviously don't know what he is talking about recommending 1g per kg, and then later talking about "The old rule of 1mg per pound of bw" haha

And as AnnPT77 says, "Strength training & adequate protein shift your odds of losing muscle toward minimizing its loss."

2g per kg is adequate, in fact, it is good enough to gain muscle mass, even while being calorie deficit. You might not gain as much as when having a surplus calorie intake, but you still may gain. Ofc, people are a little different, and might react differently to the same stimulus, but in theory, as long as you keep eating 2g protein per kg/bw and you are above 3-5% body fat, you should not lose muscle. And given that you are trying to lose fat, it is safe to asume that you are above that 3-5%.

Ofc, I am not god, and I might be wrong, but I doubdt it. And if you are loosing any muscle, it is absolutely minimal. But again, I doubdt it. If it is possible to gain muscle while restricting calories, it is definetly possible to keep muscle mass while restricting calories.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/build-muscle-and-lose-fat-simultaneously-yes-it-is-possible.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

I support your advice, with the caveat that I'd like to see cites on that 3-5% bodyfat thing (especially in women, or anything that says it's irrespective of size of deficit and level of exercise activity - some lean tissue loss is common, in common scenarios).

But Psychod787 knows a lot of stuff, though he does commit the occasional typo. Pretty sure he meant 1g per pound, not kg (read what he said, he didn't specify the measure, and 1g per pound is 2.2g per kg, pretty generic advice), and I don't even remotely "doubdt" that "1 mg per pound" was a mistype for "1g per pound". People do mistype. 😉

3-5% bodyfat is what is considered essential in men, in women it is around 10-12%. If you go below this your body will start consuming muscle instead of fat if you are in a calorie deficit state. Although, I reccomend that men stay at 10-20%, and women at 15-30% because it is gennerally considered moe healthy then the bare minimum. I got no cites for you unless you know how to read norwegian :smiley:

And regarding psychod787, I bet you are right, but if he is going to give advice to people, he should be more spesific as to what he means. And regarding the g/mg "typo", I'll give him a pass because he is from the US. I know the metric system can be as confusing to you guys as the imperial/illogical system can be for us/the rest of the world, haha :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

I support your advice, with the caveat that I'd like to see cites on that 3-5% bodyfat thing (especially in women, or anything that says it's irrespective of size of deficit and level of exercise activity - some lean tissue loss is common, in common scenarios).

But Psychod787 knows a lot of stuff, though he does commit the occasional typo. Pretty sure he meant 1g per pound, not kg (read what he said, he didn't specify the measure, and 1g per pound is 2.2g per kg, pretty generic advice), and I don't even remotely "doubdt" that "1 mg per pound" was a mistype for "1g per pound". People do mistype. 😉

3-5% bodyfat is what is considered essential in men, in women it is around 10-12%. If you go below this your body will start consuming muscle instead of fat if you are in a calorie deficit state. Although, I reccomend that men stay at 10-20%, and women at 15-30% because it is gennerally considered moe healthy then the bare minimum. I got no cites for you unless you know how to read norwegian :smiley:

And regarding psychod787, I bet you are right, but if he is going to give advice to people, he should be more spesific as to what he means. And regarding the g/mg "typo", I'll give him a pass because he is from the US. I know the metric system can be as confusing to you guys as the imperial/illogical system can be for us/the rest of the world, haha :wink:

People are entirely capable of losing muscle when above those levels of body fat. It isn't that simple. No bright lines, just probabilities.

Size of deficit is relevant, and OP has not clarified what his workouts are. At 80kg/176 pounds, a 500 calorie deficit via eating, plus not eating back exercise (which would be an unknown additional deficit most days if he got his calorie goal from MFP), that's probably at least a moderately aggressive weight loss rate, and possibly more so (we also don't know how tall he is, or how much weight he has left to lose).

Without knowing more, it seems responsible to say that he's potentially increasing risk of losing relatively more lean mass, which may include muscle. That he's probably still above 3-5% body fat, and eating a decent amount of protein, is not enough by itself to eliminate or even greatly minimize that risk, IMO. He's certainly limiting his potential to gain muscle. If he *is* strength training with a good program, that shifts the odds in a more favorable direction. Ditto if he's quite short in stature, and has quite a lot of fat left to lose. Kinda ditto if his workouts aren't generating much calorie burn on top of the 500-calorie deficit. But we don't know those things.
  • psychod787

Thank you for the free pass! I will keep it, because one never knows when it will be needed. It's especially valuable because someone of such high esteem saw it in their graces to grant it. For future reference, please disregard anything I say as the "ramblings of a mad man." I am truly the "John Snow" of weight loss and muscle gain. I am a grand example of the Dunning Kruger effect. A topic I am sure someone like you is not familiar at all.. snoogins...😘
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Its great that you're aiming for a high protein intake, that should help in retaining lean muscle mass while you're cutting calories. Good luck in your weight loss journey.