Shakology... disgusting?

Options

Replies

• ghost15026
    Options
    for me, the powder is cheaper than most "real food" options (especially ones that give me that much protein - I need over 200g daily), it's easier on my stomach in the mornings, and it has some nutrients in it that aren't incredibly easy to get every day otherwise. This is not shakeology, btw. that might not have the same nutrient to value benefit, I have no idea.

I bet your powder is cheaper than shakeology, though. People shell out close to $120 per bag of this stuff when you can easily get the same nutrition from other choices without spending so much money.

You're right. Shakeology is a protein shake marked up by another 250% lol. The final rub is that it tastes terrible from what I understand (unlike common flavored whey).
  • musicdiva53
    musicdiva53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What shakes are you using? I'm just starting and I like to use protein shakes for meal replacements. I read that you all were commenting about the taste and I was wondering which one you were talking about.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What shakes are you using? I'm just starting and I like to use protein shakes for meal replacements. I read that you all were commenting about the taste and I was wondering which one you were talking about.

Shakeology from Beachbody. If you are using protein shakes that you enjoy the taste of, and they don't cost an arm and a leg, stick with those. :flowerforyou:
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    for me, the powder is cheaper than most "real food" options (especially ones that give me that much protein - I need over 200g daily), it's easier on my stomach in the mornings, and it has some nutrients in it that aren't incredibly easy to get every day otherwise. This is not shakeology, btw. that might not have the same nutrient to value benefit, I have no idea.

I bet your powder is cheaper than shakeology, though. People shell out close to $120 per bag of this stuff when you can easily get the same nutrition from other choices without spending so much money.

You're right. Shakeology is a protein shake marked up by another 250% lol. The final rub is that it tastes terrible from what I understand (unlike common flavored whey).

It's not a protein shake
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

It's not a protein shake

Yes it is. It is glorified protein powder mixed with pulverized vegetable, fruit, and root parts so it has magical abilities such as "never get sick again" like all the pseudo-coaches in Carl Daikeler's world.

ETA: I am not joking, a "coach" actually tried to tell me that he "never gets sick" because of Shakeology. Sure, vitamins and minerals can help boost immunity, but some of these "coaches" try to make a sale by making it sound like magic faerie dust from Oz.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

It's not a protein shake

Yes it is. It is glorified protein powder mixed with pulverized vegetable, fruit, and root parts so it has magical abilities such as "never get sick again" like all the pseudo-coaches in Carl Daikeler's world.

ETA: I am not joking, a "coach" actually tried to tell me that he "never gets sick" because of Shakeology. Sure, vitamins and minerals can help boost immunity, but some of these "coaches" try to make a sale by making it sound like magic faerie dust from Oz.
    Yep. I got a half hour spiel the other day about Visalus too. It has special "trisorb" properties or something? Tired of all these MLM snake oil pushers.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love the taste and have drank it every day for breakfast since Memorial Day.

I mix vanilla or greenberry with 1/2 cup milk, and 1 no fat yogurt + 4 ice cubes.
    I mix strawberry or chocolate with 1/2 cup milk, 1 medium banana + 4 ice cubes.

When you say mix vanilla to you refer to the vanilla (black stick) or vanilla essence? Ive never seen a real vanilla :noway:
  • ghost15026
    Options

It's not a protein shake

Directly from shakeology's own website: " WHAT IS SHAKEOLOGY®? Shakeology® is the most delicious, nutrient-dense,
    superfood-packed protein shake on the planet."

It's primary ingredient is whey protein isolates. Probably from a suspect factory in India.

Defending Shakeology is always a bad idea. It turns into a hate thread really really fast.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'll start right off by saying, yes, I am a Beachbody Coach. So is my opinion bias...maybe. What I will say is that I drink my Shakeology daily and love it. I either blend up a scoop of chocolate with coconut almond mild and a 1/2 cup of raspberries or I have a scoop of vanilla flavor with a tablespoon of PB. It isn't the most delicious food on the planet and if you expect that, you will be disappointed. I've never come across anyone who disliked Shakeology, it was a matter of finding the right way to blend it up and also allowing their body to adjust to ingesting these ingredients. Some start with a half scoop. I mean really...when was the last time you had maca root and sacha inchi?

I lift and workout. I have protein powder and the two are different. My protein powder I have post lift to fuel my muscle rebuild. It sits like a rock in my stomach and usually makes me sick, but I know it is doing good for my muscle and strength.

What I tell people about Shakeology is that I could list off 70 or more ingredients found from little corners of the world and harvested in such way to protect the nutrients and also sustain economy is little countries. But that is just blabber people can get off the website. So instead I just live a healthy lifestyle, making progress in losing bodyfat, gaining muscle and being fit. Shakeology isn't going to make you super fit by drinking it, you have to put in the hard work. But if it curbs the brownie craving in the afternoon and you stay on track...GREAT! Or maybe the super foods to allow your system to run a little more efficiently to process out the bit of junk food you do have. Because not sure about you, but I don't eat perfect, so I'll take some help keeping the mozzarella sticks from this weekend not stick around. I can also tell people I sleep great at night, I have tons of energy, I do well in competitions, I rarely get a cold and compared to the times in my life when I haven't drank Shakeology, I hold on to less water, have lower body fat percentage and am in better shape.

It isn't a magic pill, but it is part of what makes me me. So if I have people daily asking "I want to do what you do. How do you stay fit?" I tell them my workout, my food choices and that this is the only supplement I take. No multi, no extra A-E vitamins, no CLA, ketones or anything like that. Here, give it a try for 5 days and see if you feel better or not.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    at the risk of sounding like another snake-oil pusher, here's a link to what I'm currently enjoying:

http://nutracorenutrition.com/index.php/our-products-1/lean-active-7.html

I'm not an expert on each of the ingredients in there, but when I was doing research prior to dropping a bunch of money on a few months worth of powder I decided that I wanted CLA, at least 25g of protein per serving, and a handful of the L-whatever nutrients that this one includes. It has lots of other stuff that I couldn't tell you is good or bad. What I can say is that my wife and I have both been using it daily for over a month now ad we love it. The taste is amazing (for a protein shake, and I've tried lots), mixed with nothing but water. We currently have the chocolate cake, strawberry, vanilla, and oatmeal cookie flavors in our kitchen. They don't list a couple of those on the site, but I can get them at my local store. Pro tip: mixing one scoop of chocolate cake and one scoop of oatmeal cookie tastes a /lot/ like these bavarian chocolate spice cookies my grandmother used to make. The vanilla is my favorite, and the strawberry is my least favorite, but it's still very good.

I sometimes mix in a scoop of their glutamine mix (don't remember the exact name, it's on their site somewhere) after a particularly heavy workout. I'm happy with my muscle growth and weight loss so far... unless someone sees something on the ingredients list that throws up a red flag, I'm happy to recommend it to my MFP peers on here. Again, I am not at all affiliated with this company or product. I *have* spent a lot of money with them recently, though... maybe they should give me a stock in the company. Or at least some free tubs of vanilla powder :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I mean really...when was the last time you had maca root and sacha inchi?

How much of these ingredients are in Shakeology? I look on the website, and it lists all of these "super foods" but it doesn't say how much it contains. How do I know if it's enough to even be beneficial?
  • amie709
    amie709 Posts: 99
    Options
    I had the same problem with the chocolate. try this recipe: 1 cup almond milk 1/2 cup water 1 tbsp natural peanut butter and 1 tbsp fat free smuckers caramel syrup. Really tates the bite off the chocolate!!

And YES Shakeology is that important. The simple formula is eat less then you burn but the reality is that you have to make your body HEALTHY. Most Coaches will advise you on calories and carbs and such and if you add it up you'll realize that it's really in line with the recommended daily servings from each of the food groups. Which really means one thing: in order to acheive long lasting healthy and fitness you must eat a healthy balanced diet. Now, in that balanced diet there should be 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables. And having 8 servings of fruit in one day is not going to help you really because fruit has sugar. Granted, it's a natural sugar but it's still a sugar and it will slow you down and plateau your weight loss. So, break it up into have 4 servings of fruit and 4 servings of vegetables. Do you seriously eat 4 servings of vegetables everyday? No?? Me neither!! I don't like a whole lot of vegetables and I am usually on the go a lot. Am I helping to get the amount that I need-YES-I drink my shakeology!! Just the same way that I help to get my recommended dail protein but taking my protein powder!!
  • amie709
    Options
    PS-I've lost 65 lbs. since April 2013 and have not plateaued ONCE or had to change my calorie intake at all from the numbers that I started with. I eat a healthy balanced diet. I exercise and I ALWAYS have my shakeology
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just started Shakeology and I love it. It's filling and it tastes good. It can be a little gritty if you don't blend it long enough but other than that, I love it. I have a host of health problems including autoimmune diseases, horrible TMJ and IBS. So far the Shakeology gives me something tasty, filling and nutritious that I can suck down when my jaw hurts so bad, I cannot chew food. It also helps keep away the bloat and intestinal distention I get every night. I also just found out I'm hypoglycemic so having this shake everyday has kept away some of the blood sugar crashes I was experiencing. It's not a miracle food, but I consider it a great addition to the healthy foods I already eat. Another great plus? I don't fart noxious fumes anymore like I did on cheap protein shakes. Good gawd almighty!
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    PS-I've lost 65 lbs. since April 2013 and have not plateaued ONCE or had to change my calorie intake at all from the numbers that I started with. I eat a healthy balanced diet. I exercise and I ALWAYS have my shakeology

I've lost 50 pounds since June 23, and I have had only three meal replacement shakes. It's really just a matter of preference, and my preference is to eat foods with a mixture of flavors and textures.
  • AnbayRN
    AnbayRN Posts: 3
    Options
    could you please tell me what product you are using? thanks, would really rather try that instead of shakeology!
  • Sbthud
    Sbthud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not now nor ever have been a Beachbody Coach. I adore Shakeology. I only wish I could afford it. My mom gave me 3 bags when I did the Les Mills Combat program so that I could do the 90 days with their recommended nutrition. I LOVE the taste of the chocolate, way better than most of the other whey protein I have tried. Mixed it a bunch of different ways, usually with skim milk with a fruit add in or pb2, but even with water I enjoyed it. I have IBS, and my constant issues stopped while I was drinking Shake-O. They came back when I stopped. Not saying Shake-O is directly responsible, I am sure the super clean eating the rest of the time helped a bunch, but even eating as well without the Shake-O I still have consistent issues. It's your choice. But just because you don't like something, don't say it is completely bunk. It does have benefits. Just also has a HUGE drawback of it's price.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'll start right off by saying, yes, I am a Beachbody Coach. So is my opinion bias...maybe. What I will say is that I drink my Shakeology daily and love it. I either blend up a scoop of chocolate with coconut almond mild and a 1/2 cup of raspberries or I have a scoop of vanilla flavor with a tablespoon of PB. It isn't the most delicious food on the planet and if you expect that, you will be disappointed. I've never come across anyone who disliked Shakeology, it was a matter of finding the right way to blend it up and also allowing their body to adjust to ingesting these ingredients. Some start with a half scoop. I mean really...when was the last time you had maca root and sacha inchi?

I lift and workout. I have protein powder and the two are different. My protein powder I have post lift to fuel my muscle rebuild. It sits like a rock in my stomach and usually makes me sick, but I know it is doing good for my muscle and strength.

What I tell people about Shakeology is that I could list off 70 or more ingredients found from little corners of the world and harvested in such way to protect the nutrients and also sustain economy is little countries. But that is just blabber people can get off the website. So instead I just live a healthy lifestyle, making progress in losing bodyfat, gaining muscle and being fit. Shakeology isn't going to make you super fit by drinking it, you have to put in the hard work. But if it curbs the brownie craving in the afternoon and you stay on track...GREAT! Or maybe the super foods to allow your system to run a little more efficiently to process out the bit of junk food you do have. Because not sure about you, but I don't eat perfect, so I'll take some help keeping the mozzarella sticks from this weekend not stick around. I can also tell people I sleep great at night, I have tons of energy, I do well in competitions, I rarely get a cold and compared to the times in my life when I haven't drank Shakeology, I hold on to less water, have lower body fat percentage and am in better shape.

It isn't a magic pill, but it is part of what makes me me. So if I have people daily asking "I want to do what you do. How do you stay fit?" I tell them my workout, my food choices and that this is the only supplement I take. No multi, no extra A-E vitamins, no CLA, ketones or anything like that. Here, give it a try for 5 days and see if you feel better or not.

Lol, and how many of the 70 ingredients are in known efficacious dosages? And you do know it's not even all natural, right?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

For the bolded area, you should probably research a new protein powder. Some people have issues with certain brands. It just means you need a different brand. It's not unlike medications which certain brands and chemical compositions can have different effects. Additionally, no protein is really designed for post workouts. It's still questionable if a post workout shake is even required.

BTW, i know several people who really hate the taste of it. I am not even a big fan of the taste myself.
  • amie709
    Options
    For everyone with bad opinions on shakeology-just try it!! The company offers a completely hassle free return policy-EVEN IF THE BAG IS EMPTY. Try it everyday for a month. If you don't like it or find it any different then what you are doing. return it. And continue to say whatever you want about it. Either you will be able to say that you tried it and you still feel the same way or you will say that you tried it and found it beneficial.