Shakology... disgusting?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For everyone with bad opinions on shakeology-just try it!! The company offers a completely hassle free return policy-EVEN IF THE BAG IS EMPTY. Try it everyday for a month. If you don't like it or find it any different then what you are doing. return it. And continue to say whatever you want about it. Either you will be able to say that you tried it and you still feel the same way or you will say that you tried it and found it beneficial.

I have tried it and it sucks. So I have real world experience.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    For everyone with bad opinions on shakeology-just try it!! The company offers a completely hassle free return policy-EVEN IF THE BAG IS EMPTY. Try it everyday for a month. If you don't like it or find it any different then what you are doing. return it. And continue to say whatever you want about it. Either you will be able to say that you tried it and you still feel the same way or you will say that you tried it and found it beneficial.
    Would someone care to quote the monthly cost of shakeology for someone on a 2000-calorie-ish diet?
  • amie709
    amie709 Posts: 99
    Options
    shakeology is $130/bag. A bag has 30 servings in it. That works out to $4.34 per day. Because it is a once a day meal replacement. No matter what you calorie amount it's still once a day. Some people use it as a snack and others use it for a meal. Do most of your meals cost you more then $4.34
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    shakeology is $130/bag. A bag has 30 servings in it. That works out to $4.34 per day. Because it is a once a day meal replacement. No matter what you calorie amount it's still once a day. Some people use it as a snack and others use it for a meal. Do most of your meals cost you more then $4.34

Are most of your meals 160cals?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Are most of your meals 160cals?

Even my smallest snack isn't 160 calories. From experience, shakeology doesn't even get me an ounce of satiety. I can get just as full from an 8oz glass of milk and 1 scoop of six star protein powder.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'll start right off by saying, yes, I am a Beachbody Coach. So is my opinion bias...maybe. What I will say is that I drink my Shakeology daily and love it. I either blend up a scoop of chocolate with coconut almond mild and a 1/2 cup of raspberries or I have a scoop of vanilla flavor with a tablespoon of PB. It isn't the most delicious food on the planet and if you expect that, you will be disappointed. I've never come across anyone who disliked Shakeology, it was a matter of finding the right way to blend it up and also allowing their body to adjust to ingesting these ingredients. Some start with a half scoop. I mean really...when was the last time you had maca root and sacha inchi?

I lift and workout. I have protein powder and the two are different. My protein powder I have post lift to fuel my muscle rebuild. It sits like a rock in my stomach and usually makes me sick, but I know it is doing good for my muscle and strength.

What I tell people about Shakeology is that I could list off 70 or more ingredients found from little corners of the world and harvested in such way to protect the nutrients and also sustain economy is little countries. But that is just blabber people can get off the website. So instead I just live a healthy lifestyle, making progress in losing bodyfat, gaining muscle and being fit. Shakeology isn't going to make you super fit by drinking it, you have to put in the hard work. But if it curbs the brownie craving in the afternoon and you stay on track...GREAT! Or maybe the super foods to allow your system to run a little more efficiently to process out the bit of junk food you do have. Because not sure about you, but I don't eat perfect, so I'll take some help keeping the mozzarella sticks from this weekend not stick around. I can also tell people I sleep great at night, I have tons of energy, I do well in competitions, I rarely get a cold and compared to the times in my life when I haven't drank Shakeology, I hold on to less water, have lower body fat percentage and am in better shape.

It isn't a magic pill, but it is part of what makes me me. So if I have people daily asking "I want to do what you do. How do you stay fit?" I tell them my workout, my food choices and that this is the only supplement I take. No multi, no extra A-E vitamins, no CLA, ketones or anything like that. Here, give it a try for 5 days and see if you feel better or not.

I will avoid it strictly because it has maca root in it. Aint no body got time to be extra fertile.

Edit: actually thats not why i avoid it... i avoid it because its overpriced junk sold by a MLM company who exploits ignorant people. but still....
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I don't understand meal replacements personally. I gained weight by eating delicious food. Since I enjoy said delicious food, why opt to drink an overpriced shake instead of getting the exact same nutritional value for something I can eat and enjoy? Makes more sense.

If you find it disgusting then don't drink it. If you think it tastes amazing and you love blowing money on stuff then drink it. I avoid pyramid schemes.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    No, most of my meals cost me less than that. As another poster said, 160 calories is not nearly enough fuel to be a meal replacement. I'm targeting 2000 calories, because it's well below my average expenditure (meaning it's creating a deficit) and 2000 calories is usually what it takes to get the protein, carbs, and fat I need. To get shakeology to work for me, I'd apparently have to at least double the dosage... and ignoring any potential oversaturation from the added nutrients and chemicals, *and* ignoring the milk, peanut butter, or whatever else people are mixing in to make it palatable... I'd be at nearly $9 per day. All of the supplements I use: protein powder, multivitamins, etc... they don't even come close to $9 per day. They also taste great.

I just don't see the value in shakeology, and I certainly can't understand why anyone would want to force themselves to eat something that tastes so bad they have to mix it with other stuff to stomach it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    No, most of my meals cost me less than that. As another poster said, 160 calories is not nearly enough fuel to be a meal replacement. I'm targeting 2000 calories, because it's well below my average expenditure (meaning it's creating a deficit) and 2000 calories is usually what it takes to get the protein, carbs, and fat I need. To get shakeology to work for me, I'd apparently have to at least double the dosage... and ignoring any potential oversaturation from the added nutrients and chemicals, *and* ignoring the milk, peanut butter, or whatever else people are mixing in to make it palatable... I'd be at nearly $9 per day. All of the supplements I use: protein powder, multivitamins, etc... they don't even come close to $9 per day. They also taste great.

I just don't see the value in shakeology, and I certainly can't understand why anyone would want to force themselves to eat something that tastes so bad they have to mix it with other stuff to stomach it.

I can make an amazing protein shake from milk, fresh fruit, whey powder and peanut butter for about $1.50

Whey powder .75
    Strawberries or a Banana .25
    1 cup of 1% milk .25
    1tbsp peanut butter .25
    Ice: Free

And that's about 425 cals 39g protein and 8g fiber, (not a measly 160 cals).
  • LINDAMTODD24
    Options
    LOVE this shake. It's just extremely pricey. I won't purchase because of that. They seriously need to lower the price.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We can afford it and we love it. I've tried others and didn't like anything as much as Shakeology. I don't sell it either. I don't understand why people come here and rip on someone who doesn't think the way they do. If you don't agree with someone, you can state your opinion without condescension or arrogance. My feeling is, just because you can act a certain way on the internet, doesn't mean you should.

If you like it, can afford it and feel better using something, go for it. If not, then don't use it. It's pretty simple.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was given some samples. I thought the whey ones were tasty enough. As tasty as any other whey drink. The vegan ones were horrible. Brown rice protein powder is too gritty!
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it although all the talk has me curious
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I can make an amazing protein shake from milk, fresh fruit, whey powder and peanut butter for about $1.50

Whey powder .75
    Strawberries or a Banana .25
    1 cup of 1% milk .25
    1tbsp peanut butter .25
    Ice: Free

And that's about 425 cals 39g protein and 8g fiber, (not a measly 160 cals).

Hold on...the cost is $4.34 per serving of shakeology. But all of these people are also adding ingredients to it to make it edible - peanut butter, almond milk (a lot more expensive than regular milk), bananas...so in the end its probably more than $6.00 for a meal.
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't Believe all the strong opinions here. I started shakeology 5 days ago and feel a difference in my energy and digestion and have already lost 4 pounds in 5 days using it as a snack or meal replacement and still consuming the total 1520 cals MFP recommends The chocolate had a bit of an after taste, but I use skim milk and ice and then added 1 tsp peanut butter and one tsp honey. Once I added 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and twice instead of the pb I did raspberries.
    I too misunderstood and thought it was a protein powder, but when I went to the site and read about the 40+ ingredients and all of the superfoods I was sold!! I couldn't get all of that in my diet or even in my supermarket and definitely not for the price!
    And skim milk and ice I would add to a shake drink and the cost of 10 raspberries or a tbs of p. or tsp of honey is very minimal.
    I'm not a coAch or do 't sell it. Just adding my two cents and think anyone interested should try it.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm with you, I hate the taste of sucralose. The powder I'm using has it, but you only really notice it in the strawberry flavor. I'm letting the wife have most of the strawberry flavor :)

Ummm isn't sucralose extremely bad for you?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I'm with you, I hate the taste of sucralose. The powder I'm using has it, but you only really notice it in the strawberry flavor. I'm letting the wife have most of the strawberry flavor :)

Ummm isn't sucralose extremely bad for you?

do you even know what sucralose is?
  • pinkpatron
    Options
    Artificial sweetners.
  • pinkpatron
    Options
    Is the sucralose in the shakeology drinks or is it just preference to whomever is drinking it
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Is the sucralose in the shakeology drinks or is it just preference to whomever is drinking it

it's a preference to whoever is drinking it. They are referring to other protein powders as shakeology contains FRUCTOSE.

In any case, there have been hundreds of studies showing sucralose (Splenda) to be safe as it is mostly not broken down by the body (hence its lack of calories).