Calorie Counter

Message Boards Motivation and Support
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Little tips and tricks you employ to motivate yourself to workout and eat within calorie budget

JessBbodyJessBbody Member Posts: 136 Member Member Posts: 136 Member

I'm wondering about the little things you do that actually get you to exercise and measure and track your food, put down the cake, etc.

For example, when I first started with MFP about 4 weeks ago, I took a picture of myself in a bikini, printed it out, and put it on the fridge. I plan to do it again once I reach my mini goal and put it next to the first one. I will do this every 5 lbs until I reach my goal weight/measurements.

On the wall in front of the space where I workout, I've printed out a picture of a celebrity body that I resemble when I'm in my best shape. I've already looked like this so I'm not going after an unattainable ideal. I've cut off the head and have thought about pasting my own face on it. I've read about this trick in diet books. I look at this body when I'm working out, especially if I feel my energy slumping.

I also have 2 signs on that wall that say, "just do it" and "you're going to feel great after it's done." So far this wall technique has gotten me to workout 6 days a week.

So what are your tips and tricks?

Replies

• gracegettingittogethergracegettingittogether Member Posts: 142 Member Member Posts: 142 Member
    I set my activity level to not very active, so I have to get up and move throughout the day to earn more calories than 1230. It’s really motivating when I look at my calories and only have a couple hundred left. Then I get busy and usually earn more than I planned! I know from experience that if I set my activity to higher, I’m not motivated to get up and move.
  • AndreaTamiraAndreaTamira Member, Premium Posts: 72 Member Member, Premium Posts: 72 Member
    Nothing as big as yours.

But what I do:

Adding friends on the app. It is really nice to get a thumb up or comment about how well you did after a good day or a work out. And seeing how others are doing and supporting them even in this tiny way makes me more motivated, too.

Buy a nice piece of clothing from the second hand store that I am close to fitting into/am just barely fitting into. Keeps me wanting to reach this very attainable next step goal of fitting well into new trousers.

DON'T have forbidden foods. Just make the decision to eat something more of a mental, thought-out one. I ask myself questions" "Will this fit into my calorie goal?" " If not, are you ready to put in extra exercise to get it in there?" " Do you really truly think this will make you feel good or will you regret eating this later?" "Is there something healthier that would hit the spot, too, that you could have instead?" - So, my decision to eat something no longer is just a mindless, split-second one. This leads to sometimes deciding overeating is worth it that day, but most of the time staying in my calorie goal.
  • watts6151watts6151 Member, Premium Posts: 769 Member Member, Premium Posts: 769 Member
    Mines pretty simple I use my gym belt

I have 4 holes in my lifting belt that get used

Notch 1. Nearly stage lean
    Notch 2 lean and looking good
    Notch 3 little bit fluffy usually bulking
    Notch 4. Oi your getting fat, time to cut

Simply but accurate 😃
  • TakeTheLongWayHomeTakeTheLongWayHome Member Posts: 82 Member Member Posts: 82 Member
    I started out with no clear goal other than losing weight. No plan, just winging it. Started actually losing and I liked how it made me feel, so I just kept it up. I have a very addictive personality and I just dropped all my bad addictions and have thrown myself into becoming the best version of me that I can.
  • MithriditesMithridites Member Posts: 534 Member Member Posts: 534 Member
    Every few pounds as I hit goals I get myself something to celebrate that. Running shoes, earrings, etc.
    edited October 19
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,714 Member Member Posts: 9,714 Member
    Well right now I am gaining weight so exercise is imperative. If I am not lifting weights, I will gain fat and waste my time. Not good! That alone gets my behind into the gym.

When I'm not gaining I am motivated by the results, how much I enjoy lifting. I find when I don't exercise I am in a bad mood. Also it just becomes part of my routine after a while.
  • JessBbodyJessBbody Member Posts: 136 Member Member Posts: 136 Member
    Nothing as big as yours.

But what I do:

Adding friends on the app. It is really nice to get a thumb up or comment about how well you did after a good day or a work out. And seeing how others are doing and supporting them even in this tiny way makes me more motivated, too.

Buy a nice piece of clothing from the second hand store that I am close to fitting into/am just barely fitting into. Keeps me wanting to reach this very attainable next step goal of fitting well into new trousers.

DON'T have forbidden foods. Just make the decision to eat something more of a mental, thought-out one. I ask myself questions" "Will this fit into my calorie goal?" " If not, are you ready to put in extra exercise to get it in there?" " Do you really truly think this will make you feel good or will you regret eating this later?" "Is there something healthier that would hit the spot, too, that you could have instead?" - So, my decision to eat something no longer is just a mindless, split-second one. This leads to sometimes deciding overeating is worth it that day, but most of the time staying in my calorie goal.

I think the idea of not having forbidden foods is a good one. I reached a mini goal yesterday and let myself have some frozen yogurt that day because it had been 4 weeks since I'd had sweets. Although I admit, I ate a little more than what fit into my calorie budget!

Because I hit that mini goal I'm going to buy myself something nice with a gift card I've been holding onto since Christmas.

I'm going to keep in mind the questions you ask yourself the next time I'm considering eating a high calorie food . I forgot to do that today and had something that cost me a lot of calories but ultimately wasn't worth it..
  • VolsG8rH8rVolsG8rH8r Member Posts: 43 Member Member Posts: 43 Member
    My dad use to put pictures of obese people on anything unhealthy in the pantry to deter and remind him.