Goal Weight

Options
What was/is your initial goal weight?
What is a range that you would accept? Ex. 130-135.
Have you ever changed your goal weight? Why did you?

Replies

• stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Started at 284, currently at 228 and my goal weight was and still is 162. At that weight I'll be at the high end of normal weight for my height and I'll reassess from there how much more I'd like to lose. Still a long long way to go
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My goalweight hasn't changed much. 127-135lbs. However I am more focused on body composition vs actual weight. I would love to be heavier, around 140lbs lean and muscular.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have never had one. I have a temporary stopping number but that is because it is time to work on recomposition full time. The goal is not a number. The goal is something more important. It is to be healthier, fitter, and sustain a high level of activity when I want. The goal comes first and then whatever the scale says when that happens is the number I will try to maintain.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    MamaOne13 wrote: »
    My first provisional goal was 130 pounds, because "everyone said we should be a little heavier when we're older" and as a twenty-something I'd been happy in the lower 120s. But I expected I might need to adjust that as I got closer to that weight, either up or down. "Everyone" was wrong, and I adjusted downward a couple of times, to 120. Then I overshot it on the low side by a few pounds (116, oops) while trying to dial in maintenance calories. 🤷‍♀️

I gained back to goal, maintained there for the better part of a year, then started to drift ultra-slowly upward, but still in the healthy range. Last October (at around BMI 23, around 138 pounds, so still at a normal/healthy weight, just higher than I prefer), I started deliberately drifting my weight back down again at half a pound a week or less. Now, back a bit below BMI 21, weigh about 125. Deciding whether to keep going, or stop.
    I don't have a huge emotional investment in it as long as (1) my blood tests & blood pressure stay good, (2) I feel good and don't have any new weight-related health concerns, and (3) I don't have to buy new clothes (I hate shopping).

Covered that above. I'm 5'5", age 65 next month, 59-60 while losing, just over the line into class 1 obese (mid-180s) for several decades before the loss, if any of that matters.
  • MamaOne13
    MamaOne13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My goalweight hasn't changed much. 127-135lbs. However I am more focused on body composition vs actual weight. I would love to be heavier, around 140lbs lean and muscular.

For years, I was more focused on body composition vs. actual weight. I was into powerlifting and did a bodybuilding show so what I weighed was never top top priority (until I got close to the show day) because building muscle and being stronger was more important.
    But now it’s kind of a toss up, even though I feel like it shouldn’t be. I would definitely rather be stronger and leaner but weigh more than weigh less and be weak and have no muscle haha.. which is kind of where I’m at right now.
    But a part of me kind of wants to lose a bit more because for most of my life I was on the chubbier side and I’d like to know what it’s like to be leaner haha.
    So I’m not sure what I should do at this point 😅
    My initial goal was 119. I’m about 125-126 right now 🤷🏼‍♀️

• MamaOne13
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My first provisional goal was 130 pounds, because "everyone said we should be a little heavier when we're older" and as a twenty-something I'd been happy in the lower 120s. But I expected I might need to adjust that as I got closer to that weight, either up or down. "Everyone" was wrong, and I adjusted downward a couple of times, to 120. Then I overshot it on the low side by a few pounds (116, oops) while trying to dial in maintenance calories. 🤷‍♀️

I gained back to goal, maintained there for the better part of a year, then started to drift ultra-slowly upward, but still in the healthy range. Last October (at around BMI 23, around 138 pounds, so still at a normal/healthy weight, just higher than I prefer), I started deliberately drifting my weight back down again at half a pound a week or less. Now, back a bit below BMI 21, weigh about 125. Deciding whether to keep going, or stop.
    I don't have a huge emotional investment in it as long as (1) my blood tests & blood pressure stay good, (2) I feel good and don't have any new weight-related health concerns, and (3) I don't have to buy new clothes (I hate shopping).

Covered that above. I'm 5'5", age 65 next month, 59-60 while losing, just over the line into class 1 obese (mid-180s) for several decades before the loss, if any of that matters.

After having a baby 7 months ago, I feel like I should try to get on the lower side of the 120s before I have another baby haha. But losing the last few lbs has been tricky..
  • MamaOne13
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I’m in a healthy weight range though and BMI, but at the higher end and probably would be happy to be in the lower 120s.
    I hate shopping too haha. I’m actually having to buy new stuff because a lot of pants are too loose for me now 😅 Still hate shopping though.
  • gdfrew
    gdfrew Posts: 45 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    160lbs for me. Im only about 5lbs off. But even then my belly is still on the big side. I don't know if I should continue to lose weight to see if the fat drops or concentrate more on body recomposition, any suggestions?
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I am 56 and 5'11" / 180 cm and my goal is 165 lbs = 75kg +/- 5 lbs = 2.5 kg. 75 kg puts me at a bmi of 23.15 which is just above the middle of the normal range.

As a young adult I weighed between 65 kg and 68 kg, which for me is at the lower end of the bmi range, but I was quite unwell on that weight a lot of the time (chronic colds and viruses, particularly latterly when I was unable to exercise due to an ankle injury - which on reflection may have been the actual problem). When I lost weight a few years ago I went down to 70 kg "just to show I could" (as I remember thinking - not a good motivation, in retrospect), but I defintely felt it was too light a weight for me now. I failed to maintain effectively on the way back up though, and gained everything back. This time, I am really thinking about how to maintain, and once my monthly average weight gets below 77.5 kg, which will probably be next month, I will switch to maintenance calories and focus on strategies to stay staying in my maintenance range. I am also exercising more regularly and using strengthening and toning workouts which have had an effect on my body shape. (I can tell from my belt that I am already slimmer now than I was last time I lost weight; I am using the hole I had punched when I was down around 72 kg.) I still have a band of fat I would be very glad to lose, but under it is muscle, so I can hold it in a lot better.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My first goal was 69kg....then it was 65kg.....now it's 60kg. TBH I am not overly bothered by the number if it's in the lower 60's - my BMI is 22.8, but my estimated body fat is about 26% which means I've got plenty to go! I'm in this for the long haul.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    What was/is your initial goal weight? 64 kg

What is a range that you would accept? Ex. 130-135. 64.0 meaning I don't want a range, I am fine with being just smidgeon below goal weight though

When I was at goal weight for a while, my weight unexpectedly dropped, not sure if it was my body or the scale, anyway I changed my goal weight by a kilogram.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My peak weight was 330 pounds in mid 2019 (5'11"). Currently sitting at 240, where I've been on an extended maintenance vacation for 5 weeks - just got tired of being in a deficit and decided to take a break for a while. On Day 1 of this diet I had 195 in mind - i.e. "under 200" with a few pounds of buffer for the inevitable ups and downs. These days I'm thinking I would be happy with 212, which is the upper end of the Overweight category and sub Obese. Maybe when I eventually get to 212 I'll rethink that and push for the gold. My doc says I should strive to be in the Normal category, which would be 179 pounds. I honestly don't see that happening. I'm 57 and haven't been that weight since probably tenth grade, maybe earlier.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I started at 149 and my goal was 101 (I'm just under that). Acceptable range would be 101-105. I weighed 97 when I retired, but I agree with my kids that that was too low especially now that I'm older.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I’m 39, 5 ft 3 and started at 196 (highest was 215 when pregnant). My lowest weight as an adult was 172 so I set my original goal at 165 and honestly never thought I would reach it, but I did! I’m still not satisfied so I’m working towards 160 and I’ll see how I feel. I’m still considered overweight based on height but I’m 10 or so pounds from what I think will be a good weight for me to maintain.
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Started at 240.
    Currently 163
    Original and current goal is 125 to 135 range. It's going super slow at this point but I'll get there
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    No goal "weight", I just wanted to be a size 10. I made it to a size 10, but started lifting heavy and I can fit 8's and some 6's. My weight hasnt changed by much, I am satisfied.

My weight is in the middle of healthy for my height.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    As I am most probably looking at skin removal surgery/ab repair, I have to pay attention to poundage, and so I need to be within normal range for my height. Since I am 5'7", I need to get below 159 to be at "normal". That's just about eighty pounds away for me. If I weren't worried about getting my abs fixed, I'd want to go by size; if I fit into a size 10 on top, I'd be good. Currently I'm a 16.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My goal is 66 to 68 kilos (145 to 150 pounds). I have changed my goal weight from when I was younger as I have a large frame which i didn't realize at the time. I accept that I''m going to be in the higher healthy weight range for my height, and that's ok. I'm never going to look like twiggy, but different strokes for different folks.