How do you find motivation when its cold outside to go Gym?

Options
Yesterday I was amped for a gym session, planned everything out in my head but when I got home and felt hoe cold it is outside of the office I just wanted to stay warm and didn't feel like hitting the gym anymore?

How do you guys overcome this hurdle or are you in the same boat?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have gym pants and a long sleeved fitness jacket that I wear out and to the gym. I just wear a cami under.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ^ Same as above and I kinda just bite the bullet and tell myself that I wont get results if I don't go. Works EVERY time.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE the cold, hence why I will never move away from FL lol, but when it is like freezing outside I just think after I am all hot and sweaty it will feel great!!! It usually does, it's like walking into a room with A/C after you've been outside in the hot sun all day!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A general desire to look good/not be fat.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Perform some sort of activity that would 'warm up' your body before leaving for the gym.. Clean up around, do some washing, walk to gym.. etc
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Run in place at home and get all sweaty, then the cold air will feel good and you'll want to get outside :o)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Umm, I go anyway?

There's always going to be something: being sleepy, having other chores, whatever. But if I want to make progress, I have to work for it. Once I get to the gym, it's all good. But sometimes I do have to force myself to go. I think everyone does.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I just work out at home.

If you examine your excuses, you'll find that is all they are. You really just didn't work out so you made the excuse of it being too cold.

You didn't say I can't go to work because it's too cold. I can't take a shower because it's too cold.

Just stop with the excuses and do it.
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    This morning was colder and I road cycled 20kms (12.42 miles) ...

If you want it bad you just do it
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    haha I don't lol but it is good to have a buddy who is a good motivator? But I usually just exercise indoor if I need to.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just 'Man Up' and get on with it :tongue:

Some of the comments above are accurate though. Get the body temp up a bit before you go and wrap up well. Also make sure you don't make yourself too comfortable before you leave if your going from the house (like sit in a comfy seat for "just a couple of minutes"), you'll quickly loose the will to go that way.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Pack your gym bag and go straight from work... you're already outside and have to go SOMEWHERE, so why not the gym?!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    um , where do you live lol . I live in Alaska and I work up on The North Slope three weeks at a time temps range 45 in the summer to -50 in the winter ... yes that is below 0.

I don't even think about the cold actually . All I think about is getting there. Next month it will probably be snowing outside and I have to walk about 100 yards outside to get to the gym at work ,pretty soon there will snow outside and lots of it , but I will still do it .Oh wait did I mention that I will be doing that at 4 am?

Too cold outside wha.......

JK . It is cold outside and rainy this whole last two weeks ,I never thought about it being too cold to go to the gym....Too cold for a hike yes but not to cold to go out..

Good luck and yep, I understand .

Amy
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That might be the weakest excuse I've ever seen for not going to the gym. Seriously.

tigerpalm.jpg
  • CSJAN12014
    Options
    Why not go to the gym in the morning instead of the evening?
    There too many excuses after a day at work... too tired, too much other stuff to do, too COLD!

Yes it's cold in the morning but you've just rested, are expecting to go & have few other distractions or"excuses"
    And 'too cold" really? The gym will have you warm enough soon enough!

"I start work early"... no problem, just go to the gym even earlier
    Personally i go at 5 am most times for that very reason.. and it sets me up for the day & i feel great
    Hey.. if was so inclined - i could still go in the evening too!! (But trust me, I don't!!)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just do it!

Everything is relative, how cold is it? This past winter was very long, cold and snowy (for months I am in MN). I still went for 4 mile walks on the weekends (gym M-F), in the snow and cold. When it is well below zero and windy, it can be brutal, but if dressed for it it can be invigorating.You warm up quickly.

Walking in cold weather (for me) is a lot easier than in the 90+ degree hot and humid, heat we are going to have for the next week or so, but I will still do it.
  • jessmoff
    Options
    Im the opposite i HATE going to the gym when its warm as it has been here the last couple of months, as the air con is rubbish and i just sweat buckets! but i still manage to go because i dont think about what its going to be like when im there, im to busy thinking about what the results are going to be like and how much better i feel after going, then you can happily tuck yourself away in your warm bed and not feel guilty :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Just wrap up warm and tell yourself that after a few minutes in the gym you will be nice and warm! Often in the winter I go into the gym all wrapped up and walk out with just my gym stuff on and no coat as I welcome the chance to cool down after! I think I prefer going in the winter to in the summer.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I put on a coat and go to the gym. I put my coat in my locker...workout...put it back on to go home.

Seems simple.

Oh...and when there's snow...repeat above steps with boots, hats, mitts.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I constantly remind myself about how amazing I'll feel once I get done. :)