Should I have one last bad day...?

tiffanyalther
tiffanyalther Posts: 27 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I work 70+ hrs a week every week between my 3 jobs and I really want to change my habits... But I feel like I just one more day to be naughty... to get myself a pizza tomorrow and sit back with a cold pepsi and gorge myself... seems so relaxing... but idk. I always hear people say if you put it off you'll never do it.. so for people who have been successfully losing weight did you have a last day where you said goodbye to those yummy delicious things you know you shouldn't have been eating in the first place?

Replies

• Hi there. No more one last days! Change your habits right now, you can still enjoy a pizza and Pepsi every now and again you dont have to give up the things you enjoy just eat in moderation!
    good luck on your journey I know you can reach your goal! Get started!:)
  • tiffanyalther
    tiffanyalther Posts: 27 Member
    I am really bad at moderation that's the problem. And living alone makes moderation hard because if I buy a pizza I cannot just have one slice and throw the rest of it away..
  • I am shocking at moderation too trust me thats why I was the size I was. Maybe if you buy a pizza eat 3 slices and wrap the rest up and put them in the freezer that way if you want more you have to defrost them and heat it up. Your not waisting it just savinv it:p just try with your portions to eat a little less each time and eventually you feel fuller quicker. Always have a glass of water while eating makes you feel fuller :)
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Hiya, I'm new here but have lost my wt using Biggest Loser site and Fitbit. I don't agree with last meals as it implies you'll never have them again which just isn't sustainable and this is supposed to be for ever.

I was religiously good but refused to go to low cal and lost and kept off 2st on 1400ish a day. I had some w/e's off if away and rarely gained wt for more than a week which was just bloat anyway if I'd had w/e off.

I think the key for me was genuinely being more active - not just thinking I'd been busy - and never lying about my food. If I ate it I logged it and I weighed it all. And I still do. The rewards are worth it and it's really not hard.

I have never been this wt, never done maintenance (I was always excellent at wt loss but didn't change for good) and never been so serene mentally (long story lol) and never eaten so much in a way. When you do years of feast/famine you are often on a strict diet. On BL I still ate butter etc not rubbish diet food and still lost wt because I didn't over eat, I shared treats with Hub for example.

This has been a verrrrry long way of saying, have a last meal if you must but if you call it a last meal you will simpy be dying to have it again. Better to plan it in to your new way of eating and take the hit if you don't lose that week!

Hope this ramble helps!
  • I say have it - but order a small. If you're like me it will bug you and within a week you'll be ordering one anyway. Also, whatever you don't eat in the one 'last bad meal' wrap up in foil as single slices and put in the freezer. You can have a slice with a salad without messing up your calories in a day once you get started. And put it in the oven, not the microwave to reheat - or pan fry in a frying pan. Of course, this is in theory as I'm not exactly the poster child for success.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I work 70+ hrs a week every week between my 3 jobs and I really want to change my habits... But I feel like I just one more day to be naughty... to get myself a pizza tomorrow and sit back with a cold pepsi and gorge myself... seems so relaxing... but idk. I always hear people say if you put it off you'll never do it.. so for people who have been successfully losing weight did you have a last day where you said goodbye to those yummy delicious things you know you shouldn't have been eating in the first place?
    I've never said goodbye to any food. I'll still order and eat an entire pizza on occasion, why not? A typical medium pizza is about 1600 calories, and it can last all day. It may not be the most balanced day I'll have from a nutritional standpoint, but hey, one day doesn't make or break anything, compared to the rest of my life.

Just don't do it every day.
  • I am really bad at moderation that's the problem. And living alone makes moderation hard because if I buy a pizza I cannot just have one slice and throw the rest of it away..

WHY WOULD YOU THROW IT AWAY?! LoL leftovers.... freezer! save it lunch the next day lol dont throw it away.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    One last day turns into another.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Sounds like you might be a cheat day candidate. Be good 6 days a week, and eat what you want the 7th day. Maybe even make it a reward if you lose weight that week. It could be pizza, burgers or other things. Of course, you would still do that in moderation, as you don't want to negate everything you did that week.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    I am really bad at moderation that's the problem. And living alone makes moderation hard because if I buy a pizza I cannot just have one slice and throw the rest of it away..

If you buy a pizza at a supermarket (frozen or otherwise) you can cut it in half before you cook it. Freeze one half, eat the other, then you have a meal waiting for another day!
    In all my time using MFP I have NEVER gone without pizza! Or my favourite fizzy drinks (soda). It's all about fitting things into your goals.
    And I concur with everyone else: NO MORE 'ONE LAST DAY'S! It's so easy to say 'I'll do it tomorrow' but when you do that, tomorrow never comes... start today! :)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    I actually never said goodbye to any foods but I did have a send off day to soda's ...I set a date and the day before I drank more than I ever did because I knew I could not drink it anymore, it was killing me .... So, sure if you are going to stop drinking soda or eating pizza have a goodbye party and say the words out loud , write it down . But you can't go back ..I think it helped me .. Everybody is different though.

Good luck .

Amy
  • I stopped drinking anything soda related, caffeine etc months ago before I started to really get motivated about working out and exercising, I'm still not "eating" right I mean by vegetables. Just one day after trying to tie my shoes with my stomach being so big, I'm like...I have to change it's either now or never. Thank God I got myself in the mindset of at least keeping track of calories and keeping up with my exercise and fitness. I'm doing so much better. I'm so glad, I didn't have a "last" day or I'd probably still be where I was, out of shape and overweight.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Sounds like you might be a cheat day candidate. Be good 6 days a week, and eat what you want the 7th day. Maybe even make it a reward if you lose weight that week. It could be pizza, burgers or other things. Of course, you would still do that in moderation, as you don't want to negate everything you did that week.

This too ! I do this :)

Amy
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    for what? think about regrets...
  • Sounds like you might be a cheat day candidate. Be good 6 days a week, and eat what you want the 7th day. Maybe even make it a reward if you lose weight that week. It could be pizza, burgers or other things. Of course, you would still do that in moderation, as you don't want to negate everything you did that week.

This too ! I do this :)

Amy

When I first started I didn't do cheat days, I thought I would fail behind, but honestly cheat days are great, because if you don't have a cheat day....you may end up blowing up, as in getting burned out on trying to lose weight since you are not eating as much food as you were, and or the sweets, candy, junk food, soda etc. 6 days of eating right, even working out etc, and take the 7th day to rest, and get stuff you don't normally get on the other days.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member

Yup - sounds about right to me too (and incidentally I do this myself).......I have a have time moderating when I get started and found that for me a better mechanism is postponing.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    You know what? Everyone is different. If you feel like a "changing of the guards" day is appropriate to help you make the transition, then that's what you should do. And then start your new life. :)

A new life during which I hope you find a place for pizza or whatever else you love, as well as for lots of healthy new choices.

You'll do great. See you in a couple of days.... :drinker:
  • I tend to think the best diets involve eating everything in moderation. So if I were you, I'd still eat pizza but as a part of my diet, it doesn't have to be a cheat or your 'last day of eating' thing. You can make home made mini pizzas (easy and cheap/not wasteful) if you live alone and you can top them with healthier ingredients like chicken, prawns, ricotta cheese, peppers, olives etc. This ends up being really healthy and delicious. You can swap the pepsi for soda water with lime or low sugar home made lemonade.

Good luck and be strong xox
  • ithina
    ithina Posts: 23
    How about do both? Eat the pizza and soda, but keep it within your calorie limits. Save the extra pizza for another day or give it to a friend.

On days I want pizza I try to exercise a good bit. It allows you to eat an extra slice or two. I also suggest thin crust ;)

Good luck on your journey :)
  • I still eat pizza and have a soda once in a while I just don't gorge on it and make sure it fits into my daily goals. If you cut things that you love out, you'll fail. It is also really hard to start and keep going if you make excuses as to why you need one last 'naughty' day. There's always a reason to indulge and not care what you eat so you get yourself sucked into a vicious cycle that way. I've been there. Is stopped doing it 2 months ago, have had a few 'naughty' days in between and as you can see below it still working for me. Allow yourself to be human while creating a healthier you.
This discussion has been closed.