Should I have one last bad day...?

Replies

• walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    dont do it, its over rated and wont give you what you really want.

I used to be the same way, to start diets, coming home from vacation (letting poor eating stretch out another week), I needed to stop the carnage. One more day for me, looking back, was like asking the prison warden to stay in jail on more day before being released.

Its a change of lifestyle, its working for me, it wasnt easy getting settled in it, but it worked. BTW, never did moderation either, but last month I went to a pizza party, had two slices because i had room in my calorie intake, and it was okay. It was enough, and I enjoyed every bite. Prior to that, I could have eaten a whole pizza!

start today:-)
  • I'm living alone right now (my husband is deployed) and I gave in to the temptation to order a pizza from Pizza Hut, ate way too much at once, and was really sick. I think it actually helped me learn that now that my body has gotten used to eating healthier, I can't put a lot of crap into it anymore. So it was actually good news and now I'm not tempted to order another one. But I did get pizza at a restaurant not too long ago. I ate enough to be full and brought leftovers home. I don't have a lot of self-control when it comes to certain foods, but there are ways to have them without going overboard, like being with other people when I eat them. So I don't think you need a goodbye to pizza day, you just may have to figure out strategies for still having pizza while sticking to your calorie goal.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    I did have a 'last supper' kinda thing. In fact, I had a LOT of 'last suppers' :/ My problem is that I think, right, I'm going to stuff myself today and tomorrow it's a clean slate and I'll start being healthy... But then tomorrow never comes, and I think again, right, THIS is my last supper, I'll start tomorrow... and then all that happens is that I go round in circles, actually gaining weight instead of losing it because I'm having so many 'last suppers'.

But, saying that, I feel like I NEED these days. If I don't get all my cravings out of my system then I'll sit and think about pizza or chocolate all day, every day, during my diet... so I guess it comes down to being strong enough to say 'right, THIS is my LAST day of eating rubbish, I will DEFINITELY start tomorrow'. So if you feel like you have the willpower to have one last unhealthy day then start with the healthy eating the next day then by all means go for it! :)

I, personally, feel that when I'm being healthy there is no place for pizza etc in my life. Lots of people talk about cheat days, and incorporating unhealthy foods into your calories... and that's great that it works for them, but, for my calorie allowance, I could maybe eat half a pizza for the whole day and that would be it. So I know I'd be starving, which is why I have to eat healthy foods and leave out the yummy pizzas etc... Moderation just doesn't work for me either.. if I buy a pizza I want the whole thing, not a slice :P

Like a few people have mentioned, a 'cheat' day every so often might work for you. I don't like the term 'cheat' day. I don't have scheduled 'cheat' days, I don't like the idea of 'this is my scheduled day to eat crap' I think I'd somehow feel I was obliged to eat rubbish that day? - but if I decide I really want something unhealthy one day then I'll have it, then make sure that my calorie deficit evens out by the end of the week.

I hope you figure out what will work best for you!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    one last bad day has turned into a bad month for me. don't play with that. just try to eat everything in moderation
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    I still eat pizza every couple of weeks. I always start with a big salad with all my favorite veggies and light dressing. Then I am not so tempted to eat 6 pieces of pizza. My limit is 2. In order to be successful and keep the weight off, you have to be able to set limits and stick to them. It's a change that is hard to make but vital. There is nothing you can't eat, but portions are key.
  • at my supermarket you can I think they are called something like pizza fingers there is 6 portions in a box so all you have to do is heat up one portion and leave the rest in the freezer
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    My mom saw me eating french fries last week and asked me if i was off my diet. Three things I will never give up. Pizza, french fries, hamburgers. Only difference is now I don't eat them on the same day, I don't eat more then two slices of pizza, a med fry or one hamburger. I also make sure they are within my calorie budget. That means turkey burgers sometimes, thin crust and veges and BAKED french fries only. Always in moderation and always within the calorie intake. Thats not easy on a 1200 calorie diet (I am 5 foot 2) but I manage and it feels great have a new way of life NOT a diet. So don't binge and don't plan on giving up your favs. Just learn how to measure, weigh and plan. :) +
  • One more day feeds old habits. Start now. I eat pretty much anything in moderation, except trigger foods. I do give myself the ability to have a cheat meal after my weekly weigh in but find that I don't really want it after I weigh in. I make a point to log everything, even if I went over. The one thing that has helped me the most was eating throughout the day. I started planning and packing my food. If I am eating throughout the day, the need or want for a big meal at the end of the day is completely taken away! :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Oh, Jesus, just buy a slice of pizza at a time, that's what I do. It's not hard to find a place that sells by the slice.
  • LunaAmour
    LunaAmour Posts: 35 Member
    When I crave pizza, I'll order Little Ceasar's (250/slice) and eat two. Just wrap the rest up and freeze it immediately. The key is to really savor it and don't be ravenous when you dig in.

I love Pepsi myself, though I've had to cut it out. Try Diet Pepsi, or if you must, have a regular one, and log it. If you exercise today you'll be even better off. You could even eat another two for dinner. (Lunch = 500, Dinner = 500). This obviously wouldn't be optimal every day but I'm giving an example of how you can entertain that occasional indulgence while still staying on track.

I'd also suggest you order/prepare a salad, and eat it first along with drinking a glass of water.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you had a "last day" with a pizza, but this lifestyle really isn't that hard to stick to and there are ways to make your cravings work.

Edit: I also agree with the above suggestion of pizza by the slice, especially if you think you'll have trouble with enforcing the portions.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Log it and stay under your calories.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    When I crave pizza, I'll order Little Ceasar's (250/slice) and eat two. Just wrap the rest up and freeze it immediately. The key is to really savor it and don't be ravenous when you dig in.

Edit: I also agree with the above suggestion of pizza by the slice, especially if you think you'll have trouble with enforcing the portions.

^^^ Totally agree with these two points. I find when I really slow down to enjoy my food and taste all the flavors, I eat less and enjoy it more.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    The real issue here is the demonizing of food, the idea that you can't have delicious food because it's bad, or that such food is a reward or a last indulgent treat before deprivation. All BS. It's just food, it's all good. LOG EVERYTHING you eat and make sure you stay under your calorie goals. I eat pizza, fried chicken, and I have chocolate EVERY day...and I'm always under goal. Always.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    I sort-of did. I had some "unhealthy" things left in my pantry and fridge. On top of that I had a food function to attend on a Friday night. So I told myself I was going to start the new journey on Saturday. Basically, I used those few days to clean out the pantry as to not waste food. The pantry wasn't really that full, so It's not like I spent those days baking cakes and cookies and then stuffing myself. I didn't hit up all the fast food joints for one last hurrah. I just finished up the last few cookies and other random stuff.

We shop weekly, so on that Saturday I went to the store and bought tons of vegetables, fruit, lean meats and other healthier stuff (but nothing labeled diet). Basically re-stocking the pantry/fridge with better choices. After 3-4 weeks I started reintroducing stuff like a cookies or grabbing fast food once in a while. I found those 3-4 weeks really helped me lose my cravings for those type of things. At one point a box of Oreos would last about 2 days. Now they can last a week or more. Mostly because I crave eating fruit or nuts more. I only get fast food once a month or so.

Except for those first 3-4 weeks i haven't eliminated any food items from my diet. I just learned how to do them in moderation.
  • raqtor
    raqtor Posts: 8 Member
    Nope I didn't

Basically I tend to analyze stuff . .why loose weight. . . Consider if being healthy, energetic, even more attractive etc etc. is better than the taste of a pizza.

The more i consider .. the list of advantages of eating healthy and loosing weight just keeps getting longer.

Suddanly. A 1500-2500 kcal. pizza seems really stupid and I don't even want it.

Lets hope it lasts :-)
  • L64Reed
    L64Reed Posts: 31 Member
    Actually, once you let the one last bad day go...you won't be in a hurry to return to the habits you created. We have the ability to build in the things that we like, but you will begin to crave the salads, the veggies...the fruits and believe it or not you will crave movement as well. Three jobs is a lot, it probably causes stress, which releases a lot of cortisol and we get exhausted and tired from that, the food fakes us out thinking that we are feeling better, even if it is momentarily. Take care and you can do it...life is all about YOLO! Don't wait 20 additional years like I continuing with the last bad day...you'll set aside some of the best years for adventure!

L64Reed
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    one last day turns into one last week one last month and then you are further behind then when you could of started ...look at this way ..if you start today and lose 1pd per week, you will be down four pounds at the end of the month, rather than looking back and wondering why you did not start a month ago...
  • MistyAvitua
    MistyAvitua Posts: 4 Member
    I used to say the same thing just one more day. and then something would come up like a party and oh its ok just one more day.... Truth is everyone of us can make and excuse for one more day.... I work 50+ hour and go to school so i understand what you mean but wanting to just have one more day.... But your taking the wrong mind set of this. It's not a diet its a life change and sometimes you will want pizza hell i had some last night but i made sure it was only two slices and that it would fit in my daily intake. You prob want to lose the weight and know you need to for health reason, but you see it as a huge effort. the first two weeks will be hard. Just stick with it. A saying from Dave Ramsey about finances has stuck with me in my financial area of life and weight. "if you life like no one else, you will live like no one else" It means if you put the hard work in today it will last you the rest of your life. Just remember that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I am shocking at moderation too trust me thats why I was the size I was. Maybe if you buy a pizza eat 3 slices and wrap the rest up and put them in the freezer that way if you want more you have to defrost them and heat it up. Your not waisting it just savinv it:p just try with your portions to eat a little less each time and eventually you feel fuller quicker. Always have a glass of water while eating makes you feel fuller :)

This ^^^^ moderation is something that can be learned and improved and takes practice. It's not something you're born with or not born with. Some people learn it in childhood, others have to learn it in adulthood. But it's totally worth learning unless you want to spend your life swinging from torturous self-deprivation to health damaging excess.

This is a great thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill

Also, if you screw up to begin with, don't give up, keep working on it. If a baby is learning to walk and falls over, no-one says "this kid's just not cut out for walking"... they let them keep on practicing and falling over until they get it...
  • a84vikes
    a84vikes Posts: 13 Member
    Probably not the best way to start out. I would say work out and eat good this week and then see if you still want to eat the pizza. I had a relapse a few days ago but instead of eating 30 chicken wings and a 6 pack of beer, I had ten wings and two beers. After you work hard the entire week you will not want to mess it all up with too much bad food. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.