Feeling full

Options
What types of foods help you feel fuller for longer? (That won’t use up all of my calories at once.)

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    lean meats, lowfat dairy, veggies, fresh or frozen fruit. I like low fat greek yogurt with berries. High in protein, low in calories, and high in fiber...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    What psycho said, in general - protein; fiber, so veggies/fruits; for some people, fats (not true for me).

There was also a study (I don't have a cite) in which many people identified potatoes as their most satiating food. (Yes, they have calories, but not as many as most people imagine - it's the standard toppings or prep methods that boost the calories; and there's some useful nutrition.)

There are also individual foods that particular find satiating, but others don't. For me, cooked old-fashioned oats are one, especially if I add more protein: A bowl of oatmeal (30g dry, 114 calories) with some nonfat Greek yogurt and berries will hold me for many hours. Beans work well for me, too. And some of the brassicas (cabbage, brussels sprouts) are particularly filling for me.

If you experiment, and use diary review to assess what's different about days you feel fuller, insights will arise. (It can even include factors like amount/quality of sleep, stress, food timing, etc. - all very individualized, so it's hard to give advice.)
  • psychod787
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What psycho said, in general - protein; fiber, so veggies/fruits; for some people, fats (not true for me).

There was also a study (I don't have a cite) in which many people identified potatoes as their most satiating food. (Yes, they have calories, but not as many as most people imagine - it's the standard toppings or prep methods that boost the calories; and there's some useful nutrition.)

There are also individual foods that particular find satiating, but others don't. For me, cooked old-fashioned oats are one, especially if I add more protein: A bowl of oatmeal (30g dry, 114 calories) with some nonfat Greek yogurt and berries will hold me for many hours. Beans work well for me, too. And some of the brassicas (cabbage, brussels sprouts) are particularly filling for me.

If you experiment, and use diary review to assess what's different about days you feel fuller, insights will arise. (It can even include factors like amount/quality of sleep, stress, food timing, etc. - all very individualized, so it's hard to give advice.)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7498104/
    http://ernaehrungsdenkwerkstatt.de/fileadmin/user_upload/EDWText/TextElemente/Ernaehrungswissenschaft/Naehrstoffe/Saettigung_Lebensmittel_Satiety_Index.pdf
    ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

http://ernaehrungsdenkwerkstatt.de/fileadmin/user_upload/EDWText/TextElemente/Ernaehrungswissenschaft/Naehrstoffe/Saettigung_Lebensmittel_Satiety_Index.pdf
    ;)

Nice: Thanks! Now, every time I'm feeling lazy about cites, Imma try to rope you in. 😉
  • psychod787
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

;)

Nice: Thanks! Now, every time I'm feeling lazy about cites, Imma try to rope you in. 😉

Love ya Aunt Granny.... besides.... I have to to do something besides be the thorn in the sides of dietary zealots and Herbalife sales reps.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,431 Member
    Options
    I find that even consistency has a lot to do with feeling full. If I eat warm oats with skyr I don't feel full. If they are cold then I feel superfull. Same with rice pudding.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I feel good when i eat highish fat with moderate protein and carbs usually. And my hunger for a day is usually based on what i ate the previous day and how well or badly i slept.

I usually feel worse if i stick to only lean meats and lower carb and llwer fat. So i actually eat full fat yogurts and cheese and make sure to use some oil in my cooking. Im not going full atkins or anything though. I absolutely need some of everything. If i cut down on any one of the main macros or fibre, i start going off the rails with calories.

Technically fatty food actually burns slowest therefore keeps you full the longest.

Next is protein.

After that is carb... there used to be a graph people would post here.

A lot of people do well when they eat bulk veggies and fruits and high fibre as well. That didnt work for me. Bulk veggies actually caused me stomach pain (im looking at you, carrots!). Of course i still eat them. Just not in crazy quantities haha.

It takes some experimenting to find how you feel the best.
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time before dinner today. Lunch was a coleslaw mix, celery and tomatoes. For snack, I had some Fritos chips later. By the time dinner was ready, I was feeling empty. So, I definitely have to have protein or carbs with lunch from now on.