How do you guys move on from a binge?

I hear people say to just move on from a binge, to not try to compensate because it may lead to more binges, but HOW ?? Do you just pretend you didn't eat that and not log it? Do you log it and not eat for the rest of the day? Do you eat only fruits/veggies for the rest of the day? Do you exercise more? I don't know how to move on after I've overeaten or binged. Sometimes my binges can be like 6000 calories, sometimes I overeat and I'm at 1800 calories by 10am, should I not eat for the rest of the day? Should I pretend it didn't happen, or log it for yesterdays, and eat normally for the rest of the day? I'm thinking to walk for 2 hours and then eat normally, is that a good plan?

Thank you so much for any answers!!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    I agree with the posts above.

I do log it.

It's important for me to see those numbers, and to track my results.

I've been in maintenance for years, so it's just data to me. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Above all, this is not a math problem to be solved. It is a cognitive/emotional knot to be untangled.

QFT

• alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    edited November 2020
    Agree with the others of how to bounce back from a binge: don't over-exercise. Don't undereat (trust me this leads to more binges). Also 6000 calories...I really doubt your binges are that high, unless you are eating multiple, full-size triple chocolate cakes....

Here is how I beat my binging habit: I found a way to eat that works for me that does not lack any micro/macronutritents and still fitting "treats into my meals".

For example, I used to binge peanut butter literally all of the time. Now, I ensure to keep 2 tbsp in my diet daily. Sometimes, even if I am not feeling the PB, I have it. Keeps me from going at it again at 3am. I also take a few supplements to ensure my body does not "crave" the nutrients I am not feeding it. The magnesium supplement I take is super helpful for that and I have heard fish oils work for others.

So, what exactly are you bingeing on? Perhaps your body is having a nutrient deficiency you are not even aware of!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Also prepare to have maybe an extra bowel movement or two ;)
  • cmriverside
    Yeah, I call it success that I've stopped buying large bags of chips and only buy things in portion controlled packs that are available to buy one at a time. 6000 calories doesn't seem that unusual for past-Me. These days I rarely get above 3000 calories and I call that a binge, because it's excessive and it's moremoremoreandthenmore...and it took me years to get to the acceptance that this will happen now and then, and I don't have to beat myself up over it.

I log it, I spend some time thinking about it...what was the food? Why did I choose to do it today? But mostly it's just because it tastes good and I allow it to happen. If I don't buy it, I don't eat it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2020
    Trial and error. When I used to try to compensate it just made it worse. Its not worth the stress any more. The stress of compensating was just as bad as the binge itself.
  • cmriverside
    Good point, @lgfrie

I've been at maintenance for so many years, and I'm really not much of a body-weight/scale person. I do know what you are saying to be true, though.

Get back at normal eating the very next day.

Accept that there will be an uptick of weight, but it will reverse in a few days.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2020
    Good point, @lgfrie

I've been at maintenance for so many years, and I'm really not much of a body-weight/scale person. I do know what you are saying to be true, though.

Get back at normal eating the very next day.

Accept that there will be an uptick of weight, but it will reverse in a few days.

I feel like though specific strategies will vary based on what someone's regular routine looks like, many people who are successfully working through this have general strategies that are based on principles like "accept the consequences, but be kind to yourself" or "get back to normal" or "develop strategies based on what you've learned."

So if you're a daily weigher, it may be important for you to get back on the scale the next day (like @Igfrie, I have found this to be useful). If a walk or more water helps you feel better, do those. If a walk feels like punishment, don't do that. If things like "keep certain things out of the house" or "implement a treat daily" work for you, then do those things. If logging everything -- to the best of your ability -- helps you avoid the magical thinking of "this doesn't count," then do that. But if the logging doesn't help you, then don't do it. The point isn't to have the best and most honest food diary on the block unless that actually is a helpful tool for you.

A lot of us are talking about the same base strategy, they just look different because the same strategy can manifest itself as different actions for different people.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited November 2020
    I log it. There is a bit of a shock attached to the calories, which has definitely helped me modify my behaviour over time. Equally, I've panicked over eating some things, thinking I've ruined my day, yet when I've logged it, it's been nowhere near bad as I expected. I found both of these elements useful, I guess it's a learning thing :)

I also second speaking to a therapist to help with emotional bingeing :)
  • fat2thingirl
    fat2thingirl Posts: 41 Member
    thank you everyone for your answers!!! So kind of you guys to take the time out of your day to write the answers :smile: It's good to see how other people who've found some success with this area handle this. :smile:
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    A day goes by and i'm moved on.
  • katiemcm1125
    katiemcm1125 Posts: 26 Member
    See a therapist! I have binge eating disorder and it sounds like you might too.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    The key to losing weight it consistency, so I always jump right back on plan. At times, I'll also exercise a bit extra and cut some carbs to compensate the following days.

However,....and it is a big one.. I don't binge 6000 calories.. it may be 500 extra for the day. and I don't do it often.

If you binge all the time and at 6000, I would also seek some kind of professional advice if you can't get it under control.