Air Fryer

Replies

• astemas1
    astemas1 Posts: 18 Member
    Salmon with a wasabi/ginger crust, lemon parmesan Brussel sprouts, rosemary potato wedges. So good and so easy!
  • joellenvde
    joellenvde Posts: 9 Member
    I often work late so when I get home 9 times out of 10 my hubby has already had dinner. I'll put together a yummy low cal salad in the 3-4 minutes it takes me to make about 20 popcorn shrimp in the air fryer as my protein. Perfection...I suppose you could spice them up with some hot sauce but I prefer them plain with some low cal dressing over the whole thing. Yum!
  • CFMom2020
    CFMom2020 Posts: 2 Member
    What’s your favorite thing to make in your Air Fryer?? Finally using ours but only for the kids lunches so far.

Sweet Potatoe fries !!! a dash of avocado oil, pinch of salt & pepper =Yummy!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    I made turkish peppers (in the style of Spanish padron peppers) last night. Much easier than doing on the stove top which takes 15 minutes of standing and turning which also uses more oil. Coat the peppers in a teaspoon of olive oil by shaking in a plastic bag. Air fry 8-12 minutes giving a shake halfway.
    9wmicofhdarr.jpeg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    chicken thighs come out sooo good in the air fryer. Recently I marinated mine in chipotle in adobo sauce (plus some oil and more seasoning) and then air fried them... so juicy and yummy. I used that for burrito bowls.
  • hesn92
    You can also do breaded chicken cutlets for a lower calorie version. Just spray it with oil spray. Use it for chicken parm or whatever.
  • hesn92
    I like to cut up salmon into little cubes, add oil and seasoning, and air fry them like that. They come out so good. Little salmon bites.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    edited May 2022
    One of my newest things is crepinis with one slice of American cheese,1 oz of rotisserie chicken and a little bit of honey mustard. I roll it and cook for about 7 minutes on 350. 265 calories for 2. I had it before the gym yesterday, it was great snack.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
  • acpgee
    I am happy with my method of tempura in the air fryer. Mix one half potato starch, one half self raising flour and cold sparkling water to make the batter. Add some oil to the batter. Fry in a non stick pan just long enough to harden the wet batter on both sides. You can do this several hours in advance. When you want to eat pop the tempura into the air fryer for 10 minutes. You can separate layers of food with a sheet of stiff silicon mesh cut to size that allows air to circulate between layers. We had tempura with some sea bass, hake and courgette.
    px2sqt2sn7gm.jpeg

• flutechick65
    flutechick65 Posts: 23 Member
    I have lots of favourites, but this is right up there. Take a small tortilla and put chopped apple sprinkled with a little sugar and a good sprinkle of cinnamon. Wrap up all the corners of the tortilla (it comes out kind of square. Spray lightly with cooking oil. Put in airfryer seam side down and cook until wrap is nice and crispy and centre is done. About 400F for 5 minutes (check) and voila - an apple turnover.
  • acpgee
    I just discovered frying leftover slices of congealed polenta is much easier in the air fryer. Tried it first in a pan and was making a mess, breaking the polenta slabs trying to move or turn them. Dumped everything in the air fryer instead. You do need a pan attachment that makes delicate items such as fish and fried polenta easier to remove without breaking.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    I don't mean to sound totally incompetent, but my husband and I have not gotten the hang of our air fryer (the kind with a tray, not a cylindrical one). He bought it primarily to make french fries. They turn out to be sad, limp things, even with cooking them (seemingly) endlessly. Any hints? Although we prefer white potato french fries, currently we have a couple of sweet potatoes. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • acpgee
    I don't mean to sound totally incompetent, but my husband and I have not gotten the hang of our air fryer (the kind with a tray, not a cylindrical one). He bought it primarily to make french fries. They turn out to be sad, limp things, even with cooking them (seemingly) endlessly. Any hints? Although we prefer white potato french fries, currently we have a couple of sweet potatoes. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have had the most success with thin frozen ready made fries. Do not crowd the air fryer, and toss every 5 minutes if they are not in a single layer. If using fresh potatoes, cut and soak for a half hour before cooking to remove some starch, toss generously in oil. I think I have also used an oily cornstarch slurry which gives a crisp finish. Use the highest temperature setting. I do mine 15-20 minutes. If they are in danger of overbrowning because I am still busy making some other component of dinner, I keep the warm on the lowest temperature setting.

Maybe there is something faulty with your thermostat, and it is not getting to a high enough temperature. The fan should also be quite aggressive. I cannot make a grilled cheese sandwich in mine unless I hold down the bread with toothpicks as well as a weight (such as a spoon).
  • MaggieGirl135
    Thanks! I will try this in the next few days!
  • acpgee
    Thanks! I will try this in the next few days!

There is no need to oil store bought frozen fries, but if making from fresh potatoes, tossing in oil or an oily cornstarch slurry is easiest in a thin plastic bag.
  • acpgee
    I've made air fryer cheesecake a few times and now feel like I perfected the recipe which is also not too decadent calorie wise.
    For the crust I melt 40g butter in the microwave and stir in 100g graham crackers or digestive biscuits blitzed fine in the food processor. As the crust is where the calories and richness are, I like a thin crust on the bottom of a spring form pan, and not up the sides. Use a flat bottomed glass to press the crust into the bottom of the spring form that I line with baking paper. Pop into the fridge to harden while you make the filling.
    Filling is two 165g packs of Philadelphia Light and 300g of no fat yoghurt, 2 eggs and a 397g tin of condensed milk. Loosen the creamed cheese with yoghurt by and the egg by hand with a wisk. Stir in the condensed milk. Dip your finger in to taste, and if too sweet incorporate more no fat yoghurt, whisking by hand.
    Put the spring form in the air fryer, then fill it, transferring the filling to a pitcher if it is difficult to pour from your mixing bowl (no spout). Bake at 160C for 20-25 minutes uncovered. It is okay if it still jiggles (but not a liquid jiggle) when you take it out. Cool to room temperature before serving. I have tried using an electric mixer and hand whisk and prefer the hand whisked texture which incorporates less air into the mixture. You can make little single serving portions in low sided jars.
    7zlunxomlxnk.jpeg

• JeanGenie12
    JeanGenie12 Posts: 5 Member
    Tofu. Sometimes I coat the chunks in crumbs first. And banana. Air fried banana with a bit of yoghurt makes for a yummy low calorie dessert
  • MaggieGirl135
    @acpgee Well, I finally got around to trying the air fryer on those 2 sweet potatoes that were getting lonely on my counter. I tried them both of the ways that you suggested. I soaked the cut fries for about 30 minutes. My air fryer shows that it's hottest temp is 450F, which is very hot. I used my oven thermometer and it said that it got up only to 425F (still very hot). I first tried them plain, without the slurry. The agony of defeat!!! They never cooked, even after 30-40 min; they were nasty hard things. Then I tried it with the slurry. Closer to success. They did cook all the way (good). They were fairly crisp (good). The ends of half were burned (bad). Some, in spots, had the slurry still showing (bad-ish, they looked a touch rabid, lol). I do believe that I used too much corn starch in proportion to the oil. A re-do is needed, adjusting for those ratios. I think that I will also try them another way, coating them with spray oil. I refuse to allow this small appliance win!
  • acpgee
    @acpgee Well, I finally got around to trying the air fryer on those 2 sweet potatoes that were getting lonely on my counter. I tried them both of the ways that you suggested. I soaked the cut fries for about 30 minutes. My air fryer shows that it's hottest temp is 450F, which is very hot. I used my oven thermometer and it said that it got up only to 425F (still very hot). I first tried them plain, without the slurry. The agony of defeat!!! They never cooked, even after 30-40 min; they were nasty hard things. Then I tried it with the slurry. Closer to success. They did cook all the way (good). They were fairly crisp (good). The ends of half were burned (bad). Some, in spots, had the slurry still showing (bad-ish, they looked a touch rabid, lol). I do believe that I used too much corn starch in proportion to the oil. A re-do is needed, adjusting for those ratios. I think that I will also try them another way, coating them with spray oil. I refuse to allow this small appliance win!

For both methods the potatoes need to be oiled. For the ones without the slurry, shake in oil in a plastic bag or a sealed food container with the oil. If using the cornstarch slurry, add oil to the slurry and toss in that. The soaking method is something I read for removing starch from regular potatoes. I don't know if this step is beneficial for sweet potatoes.