Air Fryer

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    @acpgee Oops! You’re right! I forgot the oil for the plain ones. It would have helped them greatly. Another day…
  • Upintheair1835
    Upintheair1835 Posts: 1 Member
    Crispy Tater Tots
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    I'm approaching 20lbs down and am thinking of buying an air fryer as a gift to myself for that milestone. I never bought one before because I typically don't gravitated towards "fried" food and (incorrectly) viewed them as just replacing deep frying. But, I loooove roasted or seared food, and I'm seeing so many air fryer recipes to replace the roasted/seared foods I liked to cook in the past, but with less oil for tossing or for avoiding sticking! Any advice or things to avoid or look for when I shop for my first one?
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    beabria wrote: »
    I'm approaching 20lbs down and am thinking of buying an air fryer as a gift to myself for that milestone. I never bought one before because I typically don't gravitated towards "fried" food and (incorrectly) viewed them as just replacing deep frying. But, I loooove roasted or seared food, and I'm seeing so many air fryer recipes to replace the roasted/seared foods I liked to cook in the past, but with less oil for tossing or for avoiding sticking! Any advice or things to avoid or look for when I shop for my first one?

I just have a big one my mom bought me. I love it. I don’t eat fried foods often either. I use it for so many things. Bean burgers, Turkey and regular burgers, roasting asparagus, other veggies, cooking chicken breasts. My kids use it for junkier things sometimes like fries. It makes nice “baked” potatoes and baked sweet potatoes. I use it to reheat things since I don’t own a microwave. I HATE clutter and kitchen gadgets. But I do really like the air fryer.
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    I bought the Instant Pot brand one, the Vortex. We love it. it is loud, but not as loud as the Vitamix. we use it a LOT. We find the large capacity to be worth it, as roommate might make herself dinner consisting of chicken nuggets and tater tots. I like to make a lot of roasted asparagus at once. (First time i made it, roomie and I stood over the tray and ate it with our fingers, telling each other we should at least leave ONE spear for my adult kid to try...we didn't, though.)
  • beabria
    @MelG7777 Do you know the capacity of yours? I can't decide how big I should get!
    @sargemarcori Roasted asparagus is one of my favs! But takes a bit of oil in a regular oven, so it's definitely something I'd like to try in an air fryer!
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,189 Member
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-coconut-shrimp/
    o38bsv2ianmc.jpg

I use the air fryer to make these coconut shrimp. I use unsweetened coconut flakes and for the sauce I substitute sugar free orange marmalade. They come out great!
  • beabria
    edited June 2022
    GinLee61 wrote: »
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-coconut-shrimp/

I use the air fryer to make these coconut shrimp. I use unsweetened coconut flakes and for the sauce I substitute sugar free orange marmalade. They come out great!

Oh wow - that looks so tasty and crispy! :drool:
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I find the air fryer to be a wonderful replacement for the broiler and oven, especially in the summer (it doesn't heat up the kitchen and is a lot faster). I purchased it in the first place so I no longer had to use the broiler in the summer (I don't have A/C) rather than for traditional deep-fried foods.

I use mine most often for fish filets that I previously would have done in the broiler, baked potatoes, random vegetables. Optionally spritzed with a bit of oil (I always transfer oil to spray bottles meant for oil...easier to add much, much less to salads, frying pans, on top of fish/veg/..).
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    @GinLee61 The shrimp look great!

@acpgee I thought I would give another update on my lacking air fryer attempts for french fries.

I used a white potato this time and soaked them for awhile, later tossing them in olive oil and salting them. Much, much better, but improvement is still needed. They fully cooked and actually browned. They did look a bit (ok, decidedly) greasy. I'm planning to use spray oil on them, next time. I think that might do it.

Have a great day, everyone!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    @GinLee61 The shrimp look great!

@acpgee I thought I would give another update on my lacking air fryer attempts for french fries.

I used a white potato this time and soaked them for awhile, later tossing them in olive oil and salting them. Much, much better, but improvement is still needed. They fully cooked and actually browned. They did look a bit (ok, decidedly) greasy. I'm planning to use spray oil on them, next time. I think that might do it.

Have a great day, everyone!

I find I get a thin coat of oil by putting the raw dry potatoes in a thin plastic bag, drizzling a little olive on and shaking the bag. It's easier to shake if you trap a little air before twisting shut the plastic bag. I re-use the thin plastic bags for weighing produce at the green grocer.

• kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Roasted veggies and potatoes, but second to that is crab cakes. I live in crab country, so I can reliably get two crab cakes from the fish counter for under $10. When I want to treat myself, I will buy those, pop them in the air fryer, and toast some low calorie slider buns on the stove top to make crab cake sandwiches. It's the only way I cook them now!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I'm finding I love my air fryer. It is fantastic with every meat I've tried (chicken, hamburgers, pork chops, shrimp, fish), and I've done a ton of veggies in it too - couple veggie "flops" but one of those I didn't realize what I needed to do to get the result I wanted (I do now, but haven't tried since then). Obviously all the potato type foods...
  • itspurplespice
    itspurplespice Posts: 1 Member
    Brussel Sprouts. A bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic (optional). In for 10 minutes at 350, toss, then 5-7 more minutes. They get crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. And I thought I hated brussel sprouts but a coworker convinced me to try it this way and I'll never go back!
  • beabria
    Brussel Sprouts. A bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic (optional). In for 10 minutes at 350, toss, then 5-7 more minutes. They get crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. And I thought I hated brussel sprouts but a coworker convinced me to try it this way and I'll never go back!

Do you use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts? I looooove fresh brussel sprouts, but can't get into frozen ones. I'd love to find a good recipe for frozen ones since fresh isn't always available (or affordable!).
  • daviskc6
    daviskc6 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2022
    Frozen veggie and chicken spring rolls from Trader Joe’s, frozen Tyson air fryer chicken Pattie’s and nuggets, frozen potato wedges, salmon topped with G. Hughes SF Sweet Chilli sauce
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    It use to be frozen pizza… but no more of that for this guy.
    I would say chicken wings
    I too love the air fryer over the regular oven😀
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    ASPARAGUS. spritz of avocado oil, sprinkle of Penzey's Mural of Flavor, air fryer. Om nom nom...

also great with a shake of Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle and some grated Parmesan, if I'm going the cheese route.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    My favorite thing is chicken thighs! Absolutely love them and use them for most of my chicken recipes. I will marinate them in a garlic teriyaki marinade and then airfry them, then use them in my chicken broccoli teriyaki bowls with some jasmine rice. So good.