Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What Do You Use to Sweeten Coffee?

Replies

• mariomicromariomicro Member Posts: 60 Member Member Posts: 60 Member
    I use pure Erythritol (not the one mixed with other sweeteners). I has no digestible carbs and has no insulin response.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,779 Member Member Posts: 5,779 Member
    I use 1tbsp truvia, 1 pinch pure stevia, 3 tbsp sugar freee salted caramel syrup per 12oz coffee. I like it super sweet though.
  • AwesomeSquirrelAwesomeSquirrel Member Posts: 532 Member Member Posts: 532 Member
    If you want to cut the bitterness you can add a pinch of salt while brewing.

I don’t sweeten coffee but can tell the difference in smoothness when adding salt. I do add unsweetened oat milk to most cups.
  • Anya_000Anya_000 Member Posts: 652 Member Member Posts: 652 Member
    I used to put one teaspoon of sugar, then weaned it down to 1/2 teaspoon. Now I don't need anything in it at all. I'm on a tight calorie budget, so was looking in all the little habits to make cuts. I still have 1/2 tsp sugar + milk in afternoon, can't give that up.
  • VeryKatieVeryKatie Member Posts: 5,790 Member Member Posts: 5,790 Member
    I also use sweet n low. Somewhere between 0.5 and a full packet. Wish I could find it not in packets in the store..
  • Cordy1228Cordy1228 Member Posts: 245 Member Member Posts: 245 Member
    I just use real sugar. Coffee is pretty much my favorite part of the day, so I'm OK spending a few calories on it.
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Member Posts: 3,548 Member Member Posts: 3,548 Member
    Stevia or splenda. No milk or creamer of any kind.
  • MithriditesMithridites Member Posts: 559 Member Member Posts: 559 Member
    10 gram of blackstrap molasses in my first (and usually only) cup of coffee. I need the iron, and I want the sweetness. Then I add 80-100 ml of skim lactose-free milk.
  • GazelleLadyGazelleLady Member Posts: 61 Member Member Posts: 61 Member
    Coffee with a dash of chocolate milk is my favorite.
  • melaniedscottmelaniedscott Member Posts: 516 Member Member Posts: 516 Member
    Stevia. If I have ginger syrup on hand, a spoon of that. Or, a cinnamon stick.
  • AndreaTamiraAndreaTamira Member, Premium Posts: 109 Member Member, Premium Posts: 109 Member
    Usually I drink soy latte or oat latte without added sugar. The milks probably have more calories than black coffee with added sugar would have anyway.Also, they have some natural sugar in them (well, the oat milk far more than the soy milk).

Sometimes I make mock mocha, which means adding dark cocoa powder, a tiny bit of vanilla essence, and natvia to my latte.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,525 Member Member Posts: 8,525 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Nothing, because sweetened coffee is vile.

Sometimes I stir my coffee with the spoon I used to put some molasses in my hot cereal, if there's just a light film of molasses on the spoon. It makes it taste about as sweet as unsweetened cold brew, i.e., it just barely takes the edge of the bitter. Anything sweeter than completely ruins a good cup of coffee, IMO, obvs.

But there's nothing wrong with using an artificial sweetener if you're just one of those wrong-headed people who think coffee needs to be sweet. I'll pray for you. :smile:

Interesting, Molasses is divine, high in non-heme iron and caloric but counted it can be great :)

Well, the way I do it (weigh the molasses jar, remove amount to sweeten cereal with a spoon, weigh molasses jar and log the difference), I've already counted it. And once I've counted it, I'm going to consume it somehow -- in the cereal, in the coffee, or by licking the spoon. And not any more caloric than honey or maple syrup or any liquid-form of natural sweetener.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,525 Member Member Posts: 8,525 Member
    If you want to cut the bitterness you can add a pinch of salt while brewing.

I don’t sweeten coffee but can tell the difference in smoothness when adding salt. I do add unsweetened oat milk to most cups.

Sometimes I add a dash of salt, a half-teaspoon to a teaspoon of coarsely ground cacao nibs or about an eighth of a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, a dash or two of cayenne (ground red pepper), and several dashes of ground cinnamon. No sweetener. I don't guess it would appeal to everybody, but I really like it.

ETA to clarify those are the amounts I add when brewing one mug of pour-over coffee.
    edited November 9
  • senalay788senalay788 Member Posts: 257 Member Member Posts: 257 Member
    But in all seriousness... if you dont drink coffee for the great coffee taste, then why drink it at all? Caffeine? You can get that in much higher doses from other places.
    Good coffee should be enjoyed black. There is no need to add sweetness or cream of any kind.
    All those fancy coffee starbuck drink are huge waste of calories. Huge.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,310 Member Member Posts: 24,310 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    But in all seriousness... if you dont drink coffee for the great coffee taste, then why drink it at all? Caffeine? You can get that in much higher doses from other places.
    Good coffee should be enjoyed black. There is no need to add sweetness or cream of any kind.

We don't NEED to add seasoning to food either, but people enjoy various tastes. If someone wants some sweetness or creaminess in their coffee, what's the problem?

A Starbucks drink would only be a waste of calories if someone didn't enjoy it relative to the number of calories that it has. If someone orders one, has room for the calories, and enjoys every drop, then it's worth it to them -- that's what counts.

When I'm roasting vegetables, I never put oil on them because TO ME that's a waste of calories. But if other people like it, why not?
  • senalay788senalay788 Member Posts: 257 Member Member Posts: 257 Member

We don't NEED to add seasoning to food either, but people enjoy various tastes. If someone wants some sweetness or creaminess in their coffee, what's the problem?

A Starbucks drink would only be a waste of calories if someone didn't enjoy it relative to the number of calories that it has. If someone orders one, has room for the calories, and enjoys every drop, then it's worth it to them -- that's what counts.

When I'm roasting vegetables, I never put oil on them because TO ME that's a waste of calories. But if other people like it, why not?

Thats a different topic BUT what does oil do vegetable when roasting?
    edited November 9
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 24,310 Member Member Posts: 24,310 Member

Thats a different topic BUT what does oil do vegetable when roasting?

Many people like the taste and texture it gives to roasted vegetables, just as some people like some sweetness to compliment their coffee. Neither option is bad, it's just personal preference.
  • xm1r14mxxm1r14mx Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    Premier Protein shake
  • angelexperimentangelexperiment Member Posts: 1,889 Member Member Posts: 1,889 Member
    Lakanto monkfruit