my doc says don't eat exercise calories??????

Options

Replies

• BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So.. I PROMISE I'm not trying to be a jerk to you AT ALL ... but do you see how that is an excuse to overeat?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    People can make excuses about why they should overeat by pretending they "NEED" to eat their exercise calories - because eating is pleasurable and solves a lot of emotional problems and we rely on food and we want it so let's tell each other its ok to eat! People can get angry when someone points out the illogic of that thinking. Its all DENIAL. All of us who have been significantly overweight understand exactly what that is.

NONE OF US will lose weight until we eat less calories, consistently, than we burn. To tell a beautiful lady who weighs over 300 lbs that she'll go into starvation mode if she eats less than she burns up is PREPOSTEROUS and cruel and its keeping her down. I am a better friend than that. I care very much about my friends and I will tell them to truth when they ask me.

Let's help each other!

We can eat our exercise calories and still eat less than we burn. MFP Builds in a deficit.

Without exercise, I burn about 2200 calories a day. MFP tells me to eat 1200. If i burn another 500 in exercise, then I could eat 1700 and still maintain that same 1000 calorie deficit. Personally, I think it makes sense to eat at least some, if not most of exercise calories, as long as you have your MFP goals set to lose weight. I usually try to eat 50 to 75% of exercise calories to leave room for error in food logging and calorie burning estimates. If I work out, my body needs more fuel than if I'm going about my normal sedentary day. Michael Phelps ate some crazy amount of calories while training for the Olympics.... why? beause he was burning an insane amount, and his body needed fuel. Granted, most of us aren't doing that level of exercising, but the principle is the same on a smaller scale.

I eat my exercise calories because my body needs more fuel, not because it's an excuse to overeat.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    The truth is NOT harsh. What IS harsh is when people just let other people flounder and suffer in their denial. To just shrug your shoulders, say, "Whatever works for you" and walk away is uncaring. It's just saying, "Oh well - I dont care WHAT you do."

People can make excuses about why they should overeat by pretending they "NEED" to eat their exercise calories - because eating is pleasurable and solves a lot of emotional problems and we rely on food and we want it so let's tell each other its ok to eat! People can get angry when someone points out the illogic of that thinking. Its all DENIAL. All of us who have been significantly overweight understand exactly what that is.

NONE OF US will lose weight until we eat less calories, consistently, than we burn. To tell a beautiful lady who weighs over 300 lbs that she'll go into starvation mode if she eats less than she burns up is PREPOSTEROUS and cruel and its keeping her down. I am a better friend than that. I care very much about my friends and I will tell them to truth when they ask me.

Let's help each other!

So, if I understand you correctly, the science of nutrition is illogical? Are the hundreds of people who have adhered to MFP and succeeded, in denial that they have lost all those pounds?

Eating exercise calories in not overeating. If you want to help someone, start by understanding what you are talking about.

I'm sorry, I can see you are passionate. But passion does not supercede science. Its your opinion that it may be cruel to tell someone to eat exercise calories. But, people who are saying that are coming from a place of concern for ones nutrition. You can lose weight by eating, you can lose weight by starving. In the end, the one who is healthier is going to be correct.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So.. I PROMISE I'm not trying to be a jerk to you AT ALL ... but do you see how that is an excuse to overeat?

You are not overeating. MFP tells me to eat 1750 calories/day, which is FAR LESS than what my body actually needs each day. So I am at a deficit when I eat at 1750 calories. If i exercise, and burn 500 calories, I could eat 500 more calories (2250 calories) and still be at the same deficit i was originally.

You are not overeating, unless you eat MORE than what your body needs (likely what MFP tells you plus 1000 calories).
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You might take a look at your goals. Do you have your activity level set correctly? Also, you might try looking at what you're putting down as exercise. Is it exercise you set out to do or is it in the course of your regular day's activity? You don't have to eat them. However, you do need to really look at how you're logging your food and exercise and make sure you're getting everything down.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to see how many calories I am actually burning vs MFP calories.. Majority of the time MFP is off.. Depending on the amount I burn I will usually eat half my exercise calories.

Hope this helps!

How do you know MFP is "off"? Because the number of calories is different than an HRM?

I still find it amazing that people will be so skeptical of machine and table calories, yet accept an HRM's number (a device about which they know almost nothing) as "truth" without any question at all.

(BTW, I would never use MFP calories either--but that doesn't mean your HRM reading is any more accurate).

I use a Polar 7 to track exercise calories -- if this isn't accurate, what method is? I haven't had an issue losing weight (none that is apparent to me at this point, anyhow) while tracking my exercise cals with my HRM -- I only eat back about 1/2 of what I burn anyway, in case of such inaccuracies. I've been using my HRM since February of this year. What else should I be doing?

(Slightly off topic, I know. Sorry! :embarassed: )
  • BrattyLori
    Options
    Losing weight is about creating a healthy lifestyle that you can stick to forever, where you learn how to control the food you put into your body. Its not a free-for-all where you do math constantly to see if you can eat more that day because you took a walk or went for a jog. Yes - exercise is a way to "earn a treat" but we are not supposed to figure out a way to overeat every day! YOu know that makes sense!

Its about understanding how many calories you, at your goal weight should consume each day, and living that life NOW. Some people choose to eat LESS than their goal-weight calorie requirements so they can get their faster.
  • BrattyLori
    Options
    So my icky reality is that my basic daily calorie intake, for my age and height is only 1374 a day - just to maintain that weight. Eating more means weighing more. Of COURSE I want to eat more than that, but a thinking person would try to figure out how to live within that general goal. Some days I'll exercise, some days I'll have the flu and lie in bed. 1374 to maintain my goal weight.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Everyone's different and our metabolism rates are different. Mine started out super slow in the beginning but the way I eat and exercise has really increased my metabolism. It's all in finding out what works for you.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Everyone can feel free to follow whatever plan they feel is best.

All I know is that the first time I lost weight, i ate between 1300-1500 calories/day. I never ate back exercise calories. I was starving most of the time, and after awhile my weight loss stalled, I got disheartened, and gained my weight back.

Now I am eating between 1800-2000 calories most days, and losing weight consistently. Actually losing it faster than i was the first time i lost, when i was eating less.

We need to fuel our body to lose weight, or after awhile it will just hold onto every calorie it can, forcing you to consume less and less calories until you get into a really unhealthy range.

The point of exercise is that you are burning more calories than you do normally, in your daily activities. If i am sitting around all day, i know i can't eat too much more than 1750 calories (as MFP stated) or else my weight loss will slow. But if i go for a walk or to the gym, and burn more calories, then i can eat more, and still be at the same deficit. It isn't about having a 'treat', it is about fueling your body, and keeping your metabolism healthy.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about creating a healthy lifestyle that you can stick to forever, where you learn how to control the food you put into your body. Its not a free-for-all where you do math constantly to see if you can eat more that day because you took a walk or went for a jog. Yes - exercise is a way to "earn a treat" but we are not supposed to figure out a way to overeat every day! YOu know that makes sense!

Its about understanding how many calories you, at your goal weight should consume each day, and living that life NOW. Some people choose to eat LESS than their goal-weight calorie requirements so they can get their faster.

Maybe for some people eating their exercise calories is a free-for-all, but it isn't for me. It's pretty simple - on days where I exercise, I eat a little bit more as added fuel. I eat additional, healthy food to fuel my body that worked harder than it does other days. If you want to lose weight fast and not eat exercise calories, that's fine... but I'm perfectly happy losing 2 lbs a week, which can be done if I eat back most of my exercise calories. Right now I do have to do some math by logging my food because I'm not great at knowing how much is enough otherwise... but most people on this site weren't great at it either at one point in their life, which is why most of us are here.

The fact is, I AM doing what I plan to do for the rest of my life. Even when I'm in maintenance, I'll be eating back my exercise calories, but I won't need to do the math because I'll have a better understanding of what the nutrition is in the food I'm eating because I'll have been doing it for so long. Some days I'll make it to the gym, some days I won't. I'll base my maintenance calories on a "normal" day, and days where I go above and beyond, I'll eat more to give myself the extra fuel that my body needs
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    So my icky reality is that my basic daily calorie intake, for my age and height is only 1374 a day - just to maintain that weight. Eating more means weighing more. Of COURSE I want to eat more than that, but a thinking person would try to figure out how to live within that general goal. Some days I'll exercise, some days I'll have the flu and lie in bed. 1374 to maintain my goal weight.

Not to stir the pot here, but 1374, unless you're very, very tiny is most likely your BMR, which is not the same as maintenance calories.

Maintenance calories (also referred to as TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure) is your BMR (basal metabolic rate for body function with absolute zero activity) plus an allotment for your daily activities. (not exercise, but activity).
  • BrattyLori
    Options
    Honestly - my natural daily activity is pretttaaaaaaaaaaaaay laaaaaazy. At least it was for 40 years. Now I'm all "active and fit" but who knows how long I will keep that up! Best to get control of the food. I'm soooo sick of being fat!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is a real tough call.. I have been burning (using an HRM) anywhere from 300 to 700 calories a day on average. My calorie goal is 1200.. if i don't eat my exericise calories, I net out at 900 to 500 calories a day .. not enough to sustain me .. and honestly, 1200 calories is far too restrictive for me emotionally. So I eat some to all of my exercise calories - like you, I am only losing very very slowly (2.2 lbs in 8 weeks) but I feel better and that has to count for something. Guess the bottom line is you have to do works for you.. good luck
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have a simple answer...

Try it out!

Try not eating your exercise calories back and see what happens! If you feel weak, then its not the right answer. If you dont continue to lose its not the right answer. But hey, maybe it will work. I'd give it a shot. When I lost 50 lbs 3 years ago I never ate back any of my exercise calories.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I WISH but due to medical problems can only exercise in deep water which I do for minimum of 5 hours per week, even now while injured.
    Lots of wonderful workouts can be done in the deep, jogging, jumping jacks, cross country skiing, and the list goes on. This is all deep water (anything you can do in regular water classes can be done in deep with a weight belt for your waist) excercise that I've listed, you can do so much and actually deep water you can really burn the cals because you are using YOUR body as resistance and working against the water so to speak.

Keep a positive mindset and you will go far, you can grab a pair of water gloves I'm sure your pool has and use them appropriately (have them show you how they will best serve you in working more muscles), you can use a kick board (wow, this is a wonderful challenge and terrific workout for the full body if done certain ways.

I don't know if you're in PT or if you simply go to the pool on your own but even going on your own there is usually always someone aroudn that is willing to teach you about the equipment, whether it's staff or even another member! :)

Our bodies are amazing creatures, they want to heal, they want to get better, the water is one of the best things to be in when your body is working toward that goal.

Best wishes to you,
    Becca:drinker:

Edited to add: YES! You can wear a HRM in water to calculate your cals and keep track but be sure to check when purchasing one that yours can be used in the water and that it will keep accurate track as some don't as well. (I saw this asked by you in a post earlier, not sure if it got responded to?)
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, all so positive would be great to have you as pals so please feel free to add me. Have decided to try to stick to 1000 calories as per my docs advice & shall see how that goes before getting the hrm. Just back from a fabulous 80 minute in pool workout, put together a load of exercises myself much to the amusement of the life guards, really got the heart pumping & at one point my friend & I laughed so much thought we may drown!!! They say laughter is the best medicine so why not try it ?
    Hoping I can stick to the 1000 cals so shall see how I manage.Thanks again you lovely people really appreciate it.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

The point of exercise is that you are burning more calories than you do normally, in your daily activities. If i am sitting around all day, i know i can't eat too much more than 1750 calories (as MFP stated) or else my weight loss will slow. But if i go for a walk or to the gym, and burn more calories, then i can eat more, and still be at the same deficit. It isn't about having a 'treat', it is about fueling your body, and keeping your metabolism healthy.

This.

It's completely illogical to assume that everyone who eats back exercise calories is doing it (or only working out even!) to have a cookie. Usually I expend my exercise calories on a hearty snack before the gym since I eat dinner later those days. The snack is just there, again, to make sure I don't go all lightheaded and fuzzy at the gym.

If I eat 1340 on a non-workout day and maintain my 750 deficit, what is the different between that and eating 1840 on a workout day and still having that 750 deficit? It's not overeating. OVEReating would mean I was eating MORE than my body needed. And as such, I wouldn't be losing weight.

I can agree that it does suck to be overweight. But vastly depriving yourself of nutrition by simply not looking at the science of the thing isn't any better.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    If I eat 1340 on a non-workout day and maintain my 750 deficit, what is the different between that and eating 1840 on a workout day and still having that 750 deficit? It's not overeating. OVEReating would mean I was eating MORE than my body needed. And as such, I wouldn't be losing weight.

I can agree that it does suck to be overweight. But vastly depriving yourself of nutrition by simply not looking at the science of the thing isn't any better.

I really agree with this!!

I've been thinking a lot about this thread and I think the thing I'm desperately trying to remember when I'm losing this time (and this time it's for life for me - I've finally figured out dieting doesn't work and feel completely confident that this will and will last) is not to be controled by fear. Don't be afraid of food, don't be afraid to try different things, don't be afraid to eat none/some/all of your exercise calories, and don't be afraid if you don't lose 2 pounds this week or even if you gain a pound - life is short and it's for living, not being afraid.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly - my natural daily activity is pretttaaaaaaaaaaaaay laaaaaazy. At least it was for 40 years. Now I'm all "active and fit" but who knows how long I will keep that up! Best to get control of the food. I'm soooo sick of being fat!
    Absolutely, you need to get control of the food. To me, having control of my food means knowing how to use it to fuel my body. I work out, and I work out hard. I need to eat more because of that. I exercise for my health and fitness, not as an excuse to overeat. If I abruptly stopped working out, I would definitely need to adjust my eating accordingly, but I refuse to be afraid to eat what my body needs to keep it strong.