• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    bubus05 wrote: »
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    bubus05 wrote: »
    msalicia07
    Well done if you have succeeded, I would argue with the 99.99 percent success rate though with your suggested method. But if it works for you amazing.

The method is CICO. Unless you have one of the rarest conditions in the world, it will work because that's physiology. There wasn't a single obese case in any POW situation ever recorded in the history of the earth. Why? Because human physiology determines you will lose weight in a calorie deficit. This is not debatable, it is a fact. And it doesn't matter what the individual eats as long as they're in a deficit. To maintain weight loss, however, it's best to have a diet that you can sustain and enjoy. You cannot provide evidence that someone will gain fat in a deficit, no matter what they ate, because no such evidence exists. I'll wait.

I can't argue with that. If there is calorie deficit one will lose weight. The problem arises though when I try to calculate accurately what my BMR rate is. I found that for me anyway the BMR is not an absolute figure but constantly changing for me almost on a weekly basis if I look at the scale. That's why I dont really like to only depend on what my alleged BMR is because I just dont trust the figure. As a consequence I find it difficult to calculate where my calorie deficit begins. For me it is essential what I actually put in to lose weight and hope for the best I am in calorie deficit. But that is me, if you can lose weight eating what you really like hats off congrats.

You aren't understanding what BMR is, it's not your maintenance calories unless you are at total rest all day and in a fasted state.
    You seem to be confusing TDEE and BMR.

On top of that, your TDEE isn't something you can calculate on a weekly basis. It takes several weeks (at least a month) to eliminate the 'noise' from weight fluctuations (water weight, food waste,...) and determine your true weight trend.

This plus if you exercise inconsistently your average weekly TDEE is going to be higher on a higher exercise week, which is why for such people logging exercise separately and adding to TDEE without intentional exercise can work better.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Guys give me some slack here. Ok I looked up what TDEE was. The BMR plus calories burnt during exercise. All good but if the BMR is unreliable it is still hard to know where calorie deficit begins even if I know exactly how much I burnt during exercise. But I dont want to argue too much, you are essentially right even a close estimate is better than nothing. I have roughly six months of keto plus IF plus one day a week fasting behind me, a fairly extreme diet regime, I have had success-60 pounds roughly- but I have to admit I am struggling to lose weight these days and I am in calorie deficit that's for sure without tracking anything. I need twenty pounds off more to get where I want to be and despite calorie deficit I am having difficulties.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Curious if they would say that balancing your checkbook is bad as well.

TikTok, is this a new source for actual information?
  • I just find it easier to eat as healthily as i can and to actively keep my portions small. I also make sure i do exercise every day. The weight comes off but slower. From personal experience I'd rather lose it slowly and keep it off, rather than lose it quickly by focusing on calories and putting it all back on again anyway. But that's just me.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    "- I won't, for example, weigh an apple, eat the apple and then weigh the core to discover precisely to the calorie what I consumed."

I'm pretty precise in my tracking.... This never occurred to me, lol. For the record, it doesn't appeal to me either.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Bluetail6 wrote: »
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    "- I won't, for example, weigh an apple, eat the apple and then weigh the core to discover precisely to the calorie what I consumed."

I'm pretty precise in my tracking.... This never occurred to me, lol. For the record, it doesn't appeal to me either.

Other example - people will comment about weighing the spoon used to scoop something before and after because they are going to eat what stuck to the spoon.
    Ok.
    I always wondered did they weigh the bowl or plate before and after eating so as not to count what stuck to the plate?

When some people hear about these types of examples, and perhaps think or are told this is needed for successful calorie counting - yeah, I get how many can think it would not be healthy.

I am curious enough to check the next apple just to see how many calories are being talked about. I guess core is decent amount of the weight.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    BMR = calories burned in a day by a person in a coma. Of no relevance except to people in comas and the nurses determining how much liquid food to insert into them each day.

TDEE = the actual calories burned in a day by someone, inclusive of everthing they do. It can only be approximated in online tools, because, obviously, the tools don't have sensors hooked up to your body.

Most people find online TDEE estimates close enough to work with. Those tools are never going to be 100 % accurate. But they're usually within a few percent, unless one is a bodybuilder or other anomaly, making them very useful to people counting calories.

TDEE will fluctuate day to day. Of course. It depends on how much you exercise and otherwise move around. Move more, higher TDEE. That is a key - possibly THE key - diet strategy out there: control your eating, while moving more to raise your TDEE.