Carbs are carbs...or are they?

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    ... Plus you will theoretically get hungrier faster because of this...

I feel like this is the only part that is relevant.

If person A and B are in a lab or otherwise have no other access to food rice vs Dr Pepper is not really relevant to weight loss. (I will acknowledge the insignificant differences people noted above.)

I personally find rice filling and soda not at all so would find having a calorie deficit impossible with the Dr Pepper option.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    i found a study that said a carb is not nec just a carb "https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18308431/"
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    elfin168 wrote: »
    i found a study that said a carb is not nec just a carb "https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18308431/"

You can find information/studies on the internet that, will back up any belief. Doesn’t mean it’s necessarily fact, or fallacy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    elfin168 wrote: »

You can find information/studies on the internet that, will back up any belief. Doesn’t mean it’s necessarily fact, or fallacy.

Well that is true - but pubmed is generally good source.

Seems there is nothing wrong with the study - but it doesnt say what OP said.
  • First- I'm not posting for debate. I just felt compelled to share my experience. After reading much and watching documentaries over the years I would tend to agree with you- quality of carbs matters in weight loss for a few obvious reasons.

If your body is getting nutrient dense calories- in the right ratios- then your body will run more efficiently. It will run more clean. Your cells will give up the excess unnecessary fat the healthier it runs. If your cells are registering a nutrient deficit, it will send more craving and unsatisfied signals to the brain.

I can't stress enough that from my own experience over decades of various methods- from Weight Watchers to juicing greens to low carb to Trim Healthy Momma- when I have included better quality carbs (and other foods) weight came off much easier and food decisions were easier- temptations practically nill. This is just my experience- but 2000 empty calories and 2000 quality calories will definitely come out differently on the scale.

It's been studied already and you can go find the research. It's old "science" to say it's all number of calories. Metabolism is affected by many factors, and food quality is likely one of them. So a 100 cal sugar drink compared to a 100 cal quality whole grain carb is going to process differently chemically and possibly emotionally.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    The controversy around this originates in the pointless dogma spoon fed to us by advocates, antagonists, lobbyists, sellers and bureaucrats. Many people seize upon the differences in food complexity and nutrition to justify or rationalize their own weird eating habits. From a distance, it is sad to see so many people with extreme food preferences anecdotally driven by things they think they perceive about their health, happiness or fitness. The truth is that almost any balanced diet with any components will give the same results in health, happiness and fitness. Just how much of it will determine how much excess weight a person will end up with.
  • Calories in vs calories out is what matters for weight loss.

Have you heard about the Twinkie diet? Yup a man ate only 1800 calories of Twinkies for several weeks and lost weight.
    He wasn’t feeding his body the nutrition that it needed. But he lost weight.

Macros and micros are for ensuring a well balanced diet that includes all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals your body needs to function properly.

• PaintedPlay
    PaintedPlay Posts: 51 Member
    Calories in vs calories out is what matters for weight loss.

Have you heard about the Twinkie diet? Yup a man ate only 1800 calories of Twinkies for several weeks and lost weight.

Macros and micros are for ensuring a well balanced diet that includes all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals your body needs to function properly.

Totally this!!!
    Total calories = body mass
    Type of calories = body function
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Totally this!!!
    Total calories = body mass
    Type of calories = body function

The point really is that no matter what you eat, if you eat too much you will gain weight...
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

Jared and his Subway diet too.