Options

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    UTMom81 wrote: »
    kmort009 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I use my apple watch my exercise daily. Where might I go to see my TDEE and/or is there an app that I need to purchase/download?

@SModa61 - No purchase needed! It’s the Apple Fitness app - the one with the three rings. I’m sure you can download it if you don’t already have it on your phone.

If you open the app, you should see the main summary page with the day’s rings and “Activity” as the first section. Tap on the rings and it brings you to the more detailed page for the rings. On that page, under the “Move” section is a bar chart showing how many calories you’ve burned toward your ring over the day - and right below that on the left side in red letters is “Total.” That’s your TDEE for the day up to now. If you tap on the calendar icon at the very top of the screen you can look back at previous days which will give you the best idea of your average TDEE. Sorry, I’d include pictures but I have no idea how to do that.

The TDEE will change from day to day, of course - mine ranges from 2200 to 2600 but it’s mostly right around 2400. I can’t vouch for the accuracy, but clearly for me it seems to be pretty close!

Ladies, I had no idea that number was there on my Apple Fitness rings. I know that this is about to be a dumb question, but now that I know where to find it, how do I use it to my advantage?

@UTmom81 I would speculate that its main value is to help assess the whether ones results match the data. As @kmort009 had mentioned, she looked at her calories deficits ( TDEE minus calories consumed ), converted that to pounds, and then compared that to the weight she had loss over that same period of time. She found the numbers to be 1.5 vs 1.6. Pretty darned close. Let's say you did that same math and found the calculated pounds lost to be very different from the actual pounds lost, then there is something else going on - inaccurate tracking calories, inaccurate exercise, maybe metabolic/hormonal issues. I would say it is a feedback/check-in mechanism. BUT, I am looking forward to other answers to this question because there may be some aspect that I am not recognizing.
  • SheilaBoneham
    SheilaBoneham Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    @kmort009

I use my apple watch my exercise daily. Where might I go to see my TDEE and/or is there an app that I need to purchase/download?

@SModa61 SailRabbit is a good TDEE calculator. It offers multiple calculations — I find the Mifflin-St. Jeor to be pretty accurate compared to tracking my calories and weight. https://sailrabbit.com/bmr/

• playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    29 yo female
    5’2” Small frame according to my wrist circumference
    SW 126.2 (April 14th, 2020)
    Highest lifetime weight: 138 lbs. August 2011
    Goal Weight: 110 but also happy with where I’m at right now.
    Previous rounds: 125.2 -> 122.8 -> 121.6 -> 121.2 -> 119.8-> 119.4 -> 117.8 ->116.6 -> 117.2 ->117.2->114.8 ->116.8 -> 116.4 -> 114.0 -> 115 -> 115.4 ->115 ->113 -> 113-> 113.8 ->114.6 -> 113.6 -> 115.8
    Goal weight for this round: Maintaining around 113 or dropping to 112 would be nice.
    Another goal: Embrace the scale fluctuations and not get flustered.

Previous days
    12/3 116.0 Did not post.
    12/4 Did not weigh yet. My husband has his last final of OT grad school this morning, so I don’t want to bother him while he’s trying to fall back to sleep on the couch (I work from home in our bedroom). I’m so excited for him and we are going to North Conway, NH this weekend to celebrate him finishing the school part (he still has to work full time for free from January through June) and also celebrate my 30th birthday a bit more because we couldn’t go out anywhere for it last month. We’ll just hangout in the room and get take-out from a restaurant we love but it’ll be fun because the rooms are awesome and each one has a different theme.
    12/5 away
    12/6 away
    12/7 away
    12/8 Our weekend away was so nice! We celebrated and truly enjoyed the relaxation. We ate yummy food and enjoyed delicious beverages. It was a great weekend and I’m glad to get back on track today!
    12/9 115.8 Thanksgiving week has definitely stuck around on me but maybe I dropped by Friday and it just blipped up from my weekend away. Oh well, I know what needs to be done and now I just have to do it. Food was pretty solid yesterday. Dinner last night was a pureed carrot ginger soup that I added broccoli rabe and potatoes to after I pureed the base. I also made a cashew cream sauce to go with it, which was so good! Today I had the soup and a grilled cheese for breakfast with some apple slices. Tonight’s dinner will be orange chicken and lots of veggies for me! Have a good night!
    12/10 116.2 The body is weird. I feel like I’m retaining water today and just feeling blah about thinking that I’ve gained 4 pounds in a month after looking at my Happy Scale app. I think I’m also just tired so that’s effecting my psyche a bit too related to all of this. On November 6th I clocked in at 112.2. November and December are such hard months foodwise. I’m hoping this extra fluff is some water retention from sore muscles/ etc. My upper body muscles are feeling sore today, so maybe that’s part of it. Sorry to be so bleh today about everything! On the bright side I plan on making dahl for dinner with some CSA potatoes and carrots. My husband vetoed the idea of a butternut dahl recipe I have. I'll also be cooking some skinless chicken breasts with it that are seasoned with lots of yummy Indian spices.
    12/11
    9ttrnrquzqo9.png

12/3 Did not post, but I did do 25 minutes of yoga
    12/4 Did a 30 minute yoga session from the Playbook app. I plan on working in a spin bike session today too at some point. I gave my body a break yesterday from the bike and I think it really helped. I’m loving the yoga because it makes me more aware of how not flexible I am. I know by doing it daily, it will help improve my flexibility and help strengthen my body in ways I hadn’t been working on with just the spin bike. We’re not leaving for NH until tomorrow late morning, so I’ll be able to work a spin bike workout into my Saturday too!
    12/5 away
    12/6 away
    12/7 away
    12/8 Started my day with yoga and plan on using the bike after work this afternoon.
    12/9 I wasn’t able to do yoga this morning but I’m about to go jump on the spin bike for 30 minutes.
    12/10 I did a 45 minute spin bike workout last night. Then, some stretching this morning and I plan to use the bike for a 20 minute session today at some point. I think I’ll jump on it soon as my lunch break before a meeting I have at 1:30.
  • SheilaBoneham
    Options
    @kmort009

@SModa61 SailRabbit is a good TDEE calculator. It offers multiple calculations — I find the Mifflin-St. Jeor to be pretty accurate compared to tracking my calories and weight. https://sailrabbit.com/bmr/

@SModa61 and anyone else who might find it useful.... I’m following up on my earlier post with some calculations. So, I’ve been holding very steady the past while, and used 10 weeks old data from MFP and Happy Scale to check the SailRabbit TDEE calculations for me. So...

My average weight for the past 10 weeks = 183.23 with weekly averages from 183–183.4, so within a half pound.

My average calories for the past 10 weeks = 1624, with weekly averages from 1338–1890, but mostly 1600-1700. So I’d say 1624 is pretty much my TDEE.

SailRabbit offers several calculation methods, some of which require body fat %, which I have no way to measure at the moment. Of the ones that do not require body fat %,

Harris-Benedict revised puts my TDEE at 1701 — a little high.
    Mifflin-St Joer puts it at 1590 — a little low.
    The average of the two is 1649, so 25 calories (.1%) higher than experience tells me. That’s pretty close, especially considering we aim lower to lose weight.

I’ve tried other TDEE calculators and they always give me much higher numbers for some reason.

For what it might be worth to anyone!

I’m glad I did these calculations. I also looked at what % of my daily calories has been coming from snacking at night per MFP, and it’s WAYYYYY too high. Seriously working on that!
  • SModa61
    Options
    @kmort009

@SModa61 and anyone else who might find it useful.... I’m following up on my earlier post with some calculations. So, I’ve been holding very steady the past while, and used 10 weeks old data from MFP and Happy Scale to check the SailRabbit TDEE calculations for me. So...

My average weight for the past 10 weeks = 183.23 with weekly averages from 183–183.4, so within a half pound.

My average calories for the past 10 weeks = 1624, with weekly averages from 1338–1890, but mostly 1600-1700. So I’d say 1624 is pretty much my TDEE.

SailRabbit offers several calculation methods, some of which require body fat %, which I have no way to measure at the moment. Of the ones that do not require body fat %,

Harris-Benedict revised puts my TDEE at 1701 — a little high.
    Mifflin-St Joer puts it at 1590 — a little low.
    The average of the two is 1649, so 25 calories (.1%) higher than experience tells me. That’s pretty close, especially considering we aim lower to lose weight.

I’ve tried other TDEE calculators and they always give me much higher numbers for some reason.

For what it might be worth to anyone!

I’m glad I did these calculations. I also looked at what % of my daily calories has been coming from snacking at night per MFP, and it’s WAYYYYY too high. Seriously working on that!

@SheilaBoneham Thanks for the reply. I will check those out when I have down time. Right now cleaning the condo and packing to head north to MIL while en route to the airport and home. Hubby is tapping his foot. :P So, how are you choosing to use the TDEE info to assist you best? Curious what your thoughts are. I shared mine somewhere above.
  • SheilaBoneham
    Options

@SheilaBoneham Thanks for the reply. I will check those out when I have down time. Right now cleaning the condo and packing to head north to MIL while en route to the airport and home. Hubby is tapping his foot. :P So, how are you choosing to use the TDEE info to assist you best? Curious what your thoughts are. I shared mine somewhere above.

@SModa61 I had great success before using TDEE as my absolute maximum calories and aiming for 10-20% lower most days to lose weight. But I also found I was more successful if I recalculated every 10 pounds and did about a week close to TDEE before cutting again. I didn’t seem to plateau that way. I used a sedentary setting, even when exercising regularly. Unless I did more than an hour of serious exercise, I didn’t add calories. I also tracked macros and aimed for P 20-30%, C 45-50% (mostly veggies, beans, lentils, and whole grains), and F 25-35% (mostly unsaturated). When I was at my goal weight, I stuck pretty much to those numbers without cutting calories. I was also walking/running 1-2 hours most days and swimming laps half an hour 5 days a week. It worked until I got very sloppy (rebounding from a very restrictive elimination diet due to health issues). I’m trying to get back to most of those habits.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,837 Member
    Options
    @antiderivative Jillian, I hope you birthday is AWESOME! yrhgqtyuvvtt.png
  • SModa61
    Options
    @_JeffreyD_ I'm totally into geeking out and playing with data. Will have to find something interesting to do with it all.